Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

New MT-5 owner!!!...What in the world??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New MT-5 owner!!!...What in the world??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 09:53 AM
gpshemi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New MT-5 owner!!!...What in the world??

Just got my new MT-5 from killermolly. Made it here in one day. This truck is fast and I haven't even got gas in it yet.

Had a few questions I thought you experts might be able to answer.

1) What is the mud they put in the shocks? They are *almost* rock solid. Why would they do this?
That can't work at all.

2) Nice instructions eh? OK...been doing this long enough to figure it all out I guess without them.
Did you all just drill holes in the radio box for the wiring? Then put a dab of silicone on them after routing maybe?

3) Battery hooks up to the 805bb direct with a y-harness. Does it back feed the receiver power then?

4) How are you all charging the battery pack? The wires are ultra fine like the reciever wires. Not even a tamiya connector or anything.

Looks like a good project for the weekend.

gpshemi
Old 04-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Cyberfyn

Default RE: New MT-5 owner!!!...What in the world??

Hi, and welcome to the big stuff!

The shock oil (glue) is one of the first things I changed on my MB and that only has 4 shocks! A change down to any normal shock oil will make a dramatic difference to the car.... Well it gives it real suspension and not a rock solid Radio Shack $10 buggy feel! I used normal trail bike fork oil 30w or something. Works a treat.

The receiver box should be drilled or cut to access all the wires. I didn't bother with silicone as my hole was directly below and very snug. I did put a couple of Silica gell packs in there for good luck though.

The battery goes to your servo? surely it should go directly to the receiver? I made my own RX pack out of some spare Sanyo 2400 SCR cells using a good quality silicone wire and MPX plugs.

Ian F.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Pigsmightfly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3) Battery hooks up to the 805bb direct with a y-harness. Does it back feed the receiver power then?

My RTR Marder came set up in the same way. It works but doesn't look very tidy to me.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:16 PM
gpshemi

Ok thanks.

Cyberfyn,
Nope the Hitec 805bb servo came with a y-harness and some instructions that said the receiver wouldn't pass enough juice to the servo and shows the battery on one side of the harness, the servo on the other end, and it pluged into the "steer" jack. It says do not hook up this wire and it points to the "batt" jack. So the only thing I can think of is it back feeds the receiver through the steer jack. The whole thing is strange to me anyway.

It's a JR radio, Hitec servo's, a failsafe, and the 5 cell battery.

gpshemi
Old 04-01-2005, 02:11 PM
mrfisse

The standard oil must be changed to prevent unecessary wear on the car. I dont know why they put 2000w oil in them and nobody knows is my best guess.
Change i used Thunder Tiger 60 shock oil.
I cut a little hole in the side with a wire cutter. Just so small so the cables can get out. I had no need for aplying silicone afterwards. and i have driven in heavy dust and snow and nothing got through.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:18 PM
gpshemi

They need some instructions with these things I think. Sweet vehicles, but...not everyone is familiar with the bigger stuff.

Oh well. Need to make a trip to the LHS it looks like. No problem.

gpshemi
Old 04-01-2005, 03:24 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: gpshemi

They need some instructions with these things I think. Sweet vehicles, but...not everyone is familiar with the bigger stuff.

Oh well. Need to make a trip to the LHS it looks like. No problem.

gpshemi
I've gone into 4-5 of my LHS and they dont know squat about the FG 1/5 cars they like to look at them and ask me questions

Experience and time are the best teachers (a friend or 2 never hurt)