Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

New owner of 3pk...but no MB as of yet

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New owner of 3pk...but no MB as of yet

Old 04-11-2005, 05:18 AM
dazzahughesuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of 3pk...but no MB as of yet

Hi guys, i just had to tell some one to get this exceitment of my chest!

It came in the post this morning as of 10 mins ago. ordered it 30th march, processed on the 1st, delivery 10 days, thats not bad from HK.

First im pressions of the Futaba 3PK Black HRS version (not the silver one), and it comes the new 5 spoke steering wheel. Build it great, lots of buttons to twiddle and play with Manual is rather think, tho should take me a "few" decades to understand it all so any help would be greatfull when i ask for it.

It fits nicely in the hand, a little top heavy without batteries. what batteries do you guys recommend. it got the dry receiver pack in it.
the trigger is a litte to big for my finger, is there a foam pad to put on the front inside edge of it?

I have seen on the Futaba website that you can get the aluminium case for it FUTP1010. where can you get them from? in the UK?

Now i am going to order the MB through Effective Tuning, Paul has given ME great price. but he is temporely out of stock , but im going to stick with him as its the best UK price i have found. cheaper than SG!

Cheers
Darren
Old 04-11-2005, 05:47 AM
Automan

Default RE: New owner of 3pk...but no MB as of yet

Congratulations dazz !!! great choice [sm=thumbup.gif]

As you will discover very soon, the basic adjustments is very easy to find and use. There is very good information on the display and the menu's are pretty well laid out.

You should do as i did, buy a battpack around 2000mah, and embed it in some soft material to fill out the space and just shut the door at the bottom. I wouldn't use ordinary AA batteries, or those rechargeable AA found in ordinary radiostores, they don't last long. I would buy one of those i mentioned, don't know if it's robbe or some other brand on my, they are separate A-cells putt together and some plastic over that, i think you know what i mean Picture at the further down.

Read up on the failsafe section, so you don't forget to activate that when you install this receiver in your new truck

The first thing i did on both my 3pk's was to move down the wheel, feel perfect now for me [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=biggrin.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

I haven't learned all things on it yet, but i know all the basic stuff and i just love the feel of this radio and the layout of everything, not much negative things to say other then it is heavier then your ordinary transceiver, but on the other hand... it is filled with everything you will ever need. And when adding that battpack you get it well balanced, just trow out the AA batt holder, and put a real good battpack in.

One thing i would like to solve is to fasten the cushion on the wheel... it moves sometimes toward the transmitter, i think everyone that uses a stick have this problem, and what do you do about it guys ? i don't want to glue it shut, just use some sticky thing... but what.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36973.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	256885  
Old 04-11-2005, 05:58 AM
dazzahughesuk

Thank you Automan for the info.
I was planning on getting a battery pack like the one in the picture.
This radio should be the last ever rado i will ever need to buy.

I see what you mean, with the foam on the wheel it moves about a bit. Put a couple of small drops of glue Not super glue tho. something like UHU glue, i would suggest as a guess. Darren

Old 04-11-2005, 06:10 AM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

i got my 3pk PCM and it is great, this thing does it all, i used it this weekend with the MT i was pleasently impressed. You will be to!
Old 04-11-2005, 06:34 AM
dazzahughesuk

I can't wait to put it into action with the MB!

Darren
Old 04-11-2005, 08:31 AM
original.mb

pics anyone???
Old 04-11-2005, 08:39 AM
dazzahughesuk

Here you go...

More info pics on
http://www.futaba-rc.com/
http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futj2900.html

Why Veron, are u thinking of getting one?

Darren

ORIGINAL: Veron

pics anyone???
Old 04-11-2005, 08:44 AM
dazzahughesuk

Anybody know where i could get the Futaba aluminium case for it FUTP1010 in the UK.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/radioaccys/futp1010.html

I thought about ordering it from Hobby Stories (ripmax people)

Cheers
Darren

Old 04-11-2005, 08:56 AM
snooptalian
My Feedback: (7)

I'm looking for a 3PK myself, but what is the difference between the Japanese version (Megatech) and the US version (Magnum)? Are they the same with a different model name?

Any ideas on where to find the best price for one? Tower has them for $309 I think w/ no servos. I don't need servos anyway, and then there is a $40 off discount code which makes it $269. Is it available anywhere cheaper than that?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:11 AM
daytona7

What type of servos do you have? If they are NON digital, DO NOT get the HRS receiver/module. HRS with regular servos will burn them out fast. Get the PCM receiver for regulars. While you are at it, place your fingers on the wheel where they feel natural to hold. Mark the areas and with a dremmel, grind 3 little grooves in the foam, finger width. That way every time you reach for the wheel your fingers fall right in place.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:17 AM
dazzahughesuk

Ebay mate. thats where i got mine from

http://search.ebay.co.uk/Futaba-3PK_...fltZ9QQfromZR8

Darren

ORIGINAL: snooptalian

I'm looking for a 3PK myself, but what is the difference between the Japanese version (Megatech) and the US version (Magnum)? Are they the same with a different model name?

Any ideas on where to find the best price for one? Tower has them for $309 I think w/ no servos. I don't need servos anyway, and then there is a $40 off discount code which makes it $269. Is it available anywhere cheaper than that?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:18 AM
snooptalian

I have a Hitec 5745MG for steering and a Hitec 645MG for throttle. The 645 isn't digital, but the 5745 is. What would you guys suggest. Going with a PCM receiver/module, or getting a digital servo for throttle also? Does the Spektrum require all digital servos?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Automan

The 5645mg is digital, if it is that you mean by 645mg, dont know how they use the numbers for different countrys.

The spectrum i think does not require you to have digital servos, it is just a module you can change frequenze without having to pull out any crystals in your tx/rx, it makes swapping frequenzes very easy.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:56 AM
original.mb

Wow looks like something out of a james bond movie i much was that on e-bay dazzar?plmk, cheers
Old 04-11-2005, 10:02 AM
snooptalian

It's a 645MG servo, and as far as I know is analog...

Would there be any real difference if I just used the servos I have now (5745MG and 645MG) with a PCM 3PK compared to an all digital servo set-up with the HRS 3PK?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:08 AM
dazzahughesuk

the price i paid for the £PK on ebay was........wait for it...£139.99 + £20 p&p....... thats a saving of over £180 (UK rrp for 3pk is £319)

Darren
ORIGINAL: Veron

Wow looks like something out of a james bond movie i much was that on e-bay dazzar?plmk, cheers
Old 04-12-2005, 01:08 AM
Darkend1

snooptalian, if thats your servo 5745MG (digital) and 645MG (not digital) you need to get the 3PK with PCM receiver...3PK with HRS receiver should only be used if your servos are all digital...Go with PCM at least you can use digital or not.

automan, have the same problem of foams moving forward...i put thin double sided tape and its solved.

dazzahughesuk, buy the DSC cord if possible , inexpensive item that will help you when you program your radio and servo and while exploring the features of it.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:05 AM
dazzahughesuk

Ill think about that. how essential is it? what exactly does it do. In theFutaba catelogue on plage 25 it says and i quote
"With a Direct Servo Control (DSC) cord, you can test servo response winthout sending a signal - great for last minute adjustments in the pits".
what does this actually mean?

cheers
Darren

ORIGINAL: Darkend1
dazzahughesuk, buy the DSC cord if possible , inexpensive item that will help you when you program your radio and servo and while exploring the features of it.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:41 AM
dazzahughesuk

I was thinking of getting this one.

GP 2100mA AA Flat Transmitter Pack Ni-Mh
Details
Height = 50mm
Length = 110mm
Width = 14mm
Weight = N/A

Price:
£21.00 Inc VAT
Darren

ORIGINAL: dazzahughesuk

Thank you Automan for the info.
I was planning on getting a battery pack like the one in the picture.
This radio should be the last ever rado i will ever need to buy.

I see what you mean, with the foam on the wheel it moves about a bit. Put a couple of small drops of glue Not super glue tho. something like UHU glue, i would suggest as a guess. Darren

Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Darkend1

normally with our other radios we just turn them on with the receiver and make adjustments of the trim, centering of the servo, etc...tx and rx then is transmitting and receiving...with DSC you can make all necessary adjustment on your servo as well as see how other settings functions without sending signal since they are directly plugged together...not really essential if you don't go to race tracks...
just make sure you don't transmit with the antenna not fully extended if you don't have DSC or the module might get damaged...like the manual says.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:38 AM
dazzahughesuk

Chees mate. Ive ordered one

darren
ORIGINAL: Darkend1

normally with our other radios we just turn them on with the receiver and make adjustments of the trim, centering of the servo, etc...tx and rx then is transmitting and receiving...with DSC you can make all necessary adjustment on your servo as well as see how other settings functions without sending signal since they are directly plugged together...not really essential if you don't go to race tracks...
just make sure you don't transmit with the antenna not fully extended if you don't have DSC or the module might get damaged...like the manual says.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:08 PM
34Ford
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this radio all digital in that the steering rate is in digital increments?

I have a Airtronics MX3 and Im not using it because I prefer the analog rate control that came with the cheap Futaba.
To me its faster twisting a knob than it is repeating a button plus+ or minus- a bunch of times.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:38 PM
dazzahughesuk

There is two 3PK versions. I have the HRS version, that you have to use digital servos. the PCM one you don't!

Darren
ORIGINAL: 34Ford

Is this radio all digital in that the steering rate is in digital increments?

I have a Airtronics MX3 and Im not using it because I prefer the analog rate control that came with the cheap Futaba.
To me its faster twisting a knob than it is repeating a button plus+ or minus- a bunch of times.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:36 AM
dazzahughesuk

I went to pick up the DSC cord and the guy in the hobby store, said that these corsed are not really ment for cars. they are ment for heli's and planes. So i did not but it, but i brought a delux Futaba neck starp

Darren
Old 04-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

I am going with the 3PK PCM for my large scale, I want the built in fail safe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.