Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Aluminum roll cage for FGs

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 08:34 AM
snooptalian
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aluminum roll cage for FGs

Here is the bumper for whoever wants it now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...69674472&rd=1&

Here is that beetle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...969676023&rd=1

If you want the roll cage, more than likely just watch his eBay auctions and your sure to see one show up sometime soon...I'm gonna see about getting one of his wheelie bars myself...
Old 04-16-2005, 11:42 AM
hellya

If you want the roll cage, more than likely just watch his eBay auctions and your sure to see one show up sometime soon...I'm gonna see about getting one of his wheelie bars myself...

That guy selling the $1600, now $1299. bug doesn't make the the cage for the FG's.
You will never find or see my roll bar/cage on ebay I just used the $120 price tag of the bumper for price comparison for the roll bar

Wow $70 plus ship for a wheelie bar and all his auctions are money order or check only no returns................................let the buyer beware or a fool and his money are soon parted
Old 04-16-2005, 12:57 PM
snooptalian
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: hellya

That guy selling the $1600, now $1299. bug doesn't make the the cage for the FG's.
You will never find or see my roll bar/cage on ebay I just used the $120 price tag of the bumper for price comparison for the roll bar

Wow $70 plus ship for a wheelie bar and all his auctions are money order or check only no returns................................let the buyer beware or a fool and his money are soon parted
Ok...I agree that the $1600 for the Beetle is too much, but just because someone doesn't accept PayPal for a $70 part doesn't mean it's a scam necessarily. I don't really see anything that looks shady with the wheelie bar auctions.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:05 PM
hellya

I emailed that guy he will accept paypal if you pay out of your bank account, not with a visa or master because of the 3% charge for use of credit cards
Old 04-16-2005, 02:22 PM
nozzer

this is my new cage just testing it out not sure how its going to hold up ,i do bash my mb hard and bust the rear part of the original and the wing so i thought i would try some aly plates
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53519.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	258972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85956.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	258973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53524.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	258974  
Old 04-18-2005, 02:27 AM
victionone

Paul,

I use to be active on the Supraforums, but haven't been for a very long time. Still have my Supra tho, 6spd AEM T71. The car is stupid fast and is a handful to drive. Whats your setup?

ORIGINAL: paul_c

ORIGINAL: victionone

Cowboy Bebop,
Are you the same Cowboy Bebop from the Supraforums?
I wondered that, too. But he's Cowboy Bob, not Cowboy Bebop. Are you on supraforums victionone?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:38 AM
CowboyBob

I've never been on the Supraforums, so you must be thinking of someone else...

As far as my roll cage goes, I doubt that I'll ever make another one. This one was a major pain to build!! I formed all of the parts by hand using a torch and bench vise and paid a fellow $80 to tig weld all of the pieces together for me (I'm pretty decent with a mig welder, but since the aluminum bar stock is fairly thin, I wasn't comfortable that I'd be able to get good enough weld penetration with a mig without destroying the cage). The tig welds came out pretty nice, but it's definitely not a "shelf-queen" showpiece, though it would look a lot better if I spent some time cleaning it up with a Dremel tool.

I bash my bug pretty hard, and this thing has taken some wicked abuse. I've bent the heck out of it several times, but since the aluminum has been annealed (from the welding) its fairly easy to fix. The cage is fairly easy to build...it just takes a lot of time and patience and I'm sure that anyone could build one and either weld it themselves or find someone locally to weld the pieces together.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:22 PM
paul_c
My Feedback: (6)

Paul,

I use to be active on the Supraforums, but haven't been for a very long time. Still have my Supra tho, 6spd AEM T71. The car is stupid fast and is a handful to drive. Whats your setup?

ORIGINAL: paul_c

Cowboy Bebop,
Are you the same Cowboy Bebop from the Supraforums?
I wondered that, too. But he's Cowboy Bob, not Cowboy Bebop. Are you on supraforums victionone?
Victionone, I have a 95 6 speed, T78, head work, yada yada, made 800 horsepower, no bottle, all throttle. Doing road racing with the wife these days (she has an STi, and an SCCA license)
Old 04-18-2005, 09:44 PM
daytona7

Paul,
Where do you race at?
Old 04-19-2005, 06:35 AM
paul_c

ORIGINAL: daytona7

Paul,
Where do you race at?
Used to do SCCA Solo I hillclimbs in NE Pennsylvania; no doing Pocono International. But, I'm on a committee for Thunderbolt Raceway, a new world class race course being built here in southern NJ. I'm very hopeful that this will be my home track.

http://www.hostpicsfree.info/show.ph...pagoda2545.jpg
Old 04-19-2005, 08:49 AM
daytona7

Where abouts in southern NJ? Might take a ride back north to visit family for a week or so later during the summer.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:12 AM
paul_c

Where abouts in southern NJ? Might take a ride back north to visit family for a week or so later during the summer.
Cherry Hill area, although the race track is going to be about 30 miles south of that:

http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/
Old 04-19-2005, 12:47 PM
daytona7

LOOKS GREAT! I guess I'd be better off going back during duck season since it is not too far from Dividing Creek.
GOOD LUCK on the facility! Just wondering, is the track going to be NASCAR or IRC/CART approved?
Old 04-19-2005, 03:10 PM
paul_c

LOOKS GREAT! I guess I'd be better off going back during duck season since it is not too far from Dividing Creek.
GOOD LUCK on the facility! Just wondering, is the track going to be NASCAR or IRC/CART approved?
I don't think it will be for NASCAR or IRL/CART; going to be more like a Lime Rock/Road Atlanta/VIR--so hope to see all the "clubs" (M Club, Viper Clubs, PCA, etc), plus Speed World Challenge/all SCCA stuff/maybe Grand AM/ALMS--I hope!