Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Be warned, fail safe woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Lee G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Be warned, fail safe woes

Last time I had my cars out.
Normal checks b4 runing, stering, brake failsafe.
All worked fine

After runing the car for half hour, turn controler off as it got near.
Off goes car acelerating into the distance.
Scratch head, blame poor set up, only screw driver needed is the one for adjusting the fail safe is in my tool box in my house.

An hour later, I have got bored crashing another car, back to the one with dodgy fail safe, yet again all works well, run it, failsafe warms up and same problem ocures.

Looks like I have a faulty failsafe, luckily I found out in safe conditions rather than when it was needed.

So be warned, they can go faulty
Old 04-23-2005, 05:16 PM
paul_c
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Be warned, fail safe woes

ORIGINAL: Lee G

Last time I had my cars out.
Normal checks b4 runing, stering, brake failsafe.
All worked fine

After runing the car for half hour, turn controler off as it got near.
Off goes car acelerating into the distance.
Scratch head, blame poor set up, only screw driver needed is the one for adjusting the fail safe is in my tool box in my house.

An hour later, I have got bored crashing another car, back to the one with dodgy fail safe, yet again all works well, run it, failsafe warms up and same problem ocures.

Looks like I have a faulty failsafe, luckily I found out in safe conditions rather than when it was needed.

So be warned, they can go faulty
I would think if a failsafe failed, you might not know it (unless the model received input from a source other than your TX). Did you turn your controller (TX) off before turning off your model's receiver? I always turn motor off, then receiver, then transmitter in that order.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:22 PM
hellya

He thought he had the fail safe adjusted, then turned off the transmitter, under normal conditions the failsafe would have kicked the car to the preset idle.
So what your saying is the failsafe failed after running the Buggy for awhile, after power flowed through the system?
Old 04-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Lee G

When the fail safe is cold, ie not been on the car runing for a while, it all works ok, tested with engine runing just after starting.
Run the car for a while and the failsafe opens the throtle, not by much, but enough to cause a run away.
Probably a dry joint on the board some where.

Im now trying the fast trax micro failsafes in 3 of the cars, see if I can break any of those
Old 04-23-2005, 06:41 PM
paul_c
My Feedback: (6)

OK, but in this situation, if you followed the "engine off, TX off, RX off" sequence, couldn't this have been avoided, or am I missing something?
Old 04-24-2005, 02:48 AM
Lee G

If the car had gone out of range what would the concequences have been
Im kuckt there wernt a video when I had an out of control car the other week, 1 leg hop trying to kick the rear end of a car so I could get to the engine cut ou

As much as I love large scale, when these things go out of control they are a pain. If a nitro hits something, its plastic fantastic, if one of these cars hits something its good bye what ever it hits
Old 04-24-2005, 04:08 AM
dazzer

LEE G i am not taking the urine but my mate had the same problem and when he switched off the handset his done the same ,
he took his to our mate who had extreme delight in his diagnosis as follows,
when you set up the failsafe you pressed the set button but hit the full throttle instead of the full brake during failsafe set up it was then set instead of no signal full brakes to no signal i am out of here bye bye,
i think this may be your problem mate as you say it only does it when you turn off radio before car.
his has been fine ever since but good cos we both learnt something and it did not cost him only in a ribbing from our mechanic geniuose.
dazzer
Old 04-24-2005, 04:16 AM
Lee G

This is the yellow type fail safe which has given the problems, rws or what ever it is. Run them on moast of my cars. You only hear about the largescale I run, I allso have a room full of nitro's, so out of 10 fail safes one bad one aint bad imo.

The new small ones should be intresting testing up, since the amout of space they take up is minimal, easily put in the reciever box.

Looks like a day of moding and sparing today. No point in geting wet if you dont have to
Old 04-24-2005, 05:00 AM
Pigsmightfly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know they're a bit pricey but the Venom failsafes seem foolproof, never heard of a single problem with them.

Reassuringly expensive is the phrase
Old 04-24-2005, 08:07 AM
dazzer

LEE G
i have the small button size failsafe by fasttrax got this little gem in all my rc's and no issues does the usual low batt/interfierence etc
had no problems and its the size of your little finger nail £14.99 so not a bad investment.
dazzer