Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

MB OR MT

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 10:35 AM
fourwheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MB OR MT

If I understand correctly the Monster Beetle and the Monster Truck are the same chassis. So in a few weeks when I get one should I get the MB or the MT? The reason being if you get the MB you only get 4 shocks? I was thinking of getting the MT and using 4 shocks as spares. I don't know if the shocks are subject to damage or not so it might not be that important. Are there any other differences between the MB and MT?
Old 05-03-2005, 11:02 AM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: MB OR MT

The differences are as follows:

Different Body
MT has 8 shocks
MT has different front suspension (to accomodate 4 extra shocks)
MT has alum side plates and reinforced roll cage(advances to front shock tower)

The rear end is almost identical except for the 4 extra shocks. The MB pro will be out later this year(we hope) which is basically the MT with an Beetle body. The MTs are harder to find in stock anywhere than the MB. If you are a few weeks away, I would find a dealer to put a deposit down on the MT as they go fast once they are in stock.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:46 AM
fourwheeler

Well those from "the other side(wife)" say it will be a few weeks until the purchase can take place. So you are saying the MT would be the way to go?
Old 05-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

You can't go wrong with either one, it all comes down to which body you prefer.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:33 PM
fgbasher

I actually prefer the MB but it all comes to personal preference. I have seen both but still prefer my MB over all of them. Again this is my opinion.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:39 PM
fourwheeler

The body is of no concern as that will be replaced soon enough. What about the shocks...are they break resistant? Or is that a weak link? You can probably tell I have broken a few LST parts lately
Old 05-03-2005, 12:44 PM
fgbasher

What i have sold most as far as replacement parts are the rear upper arms. they are very close the the spur gear and tend to break on large jumps. I recommend replacing with the alloy and you never have to worry about it again. My shocks are find after a lot of abuse.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:53 PM
snooptalian
My Feedback: (7)

I'd just get the Beetle. The MT is really no different other than the body, and several people have metioned that the ride is better on the Beetle without the extra 4 shocks. Also you can get the Beetle for less than the MT and it's alot easier to find too. You can always change the Beetle to the MT later if you wanted anyways.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:01 PM
dazzahughesuk

I agree totally. The MT does not handle that well compared to the MB. So get the monster beetle!
Darren
ORIGINAL: snooptalian

I'd just get the Beetle. The MT is really no different other than the body, and several people have metioned that the ride is better on the Beetle without the extra 4 shocks. Also you can get the Beetle for less than the MT and it's alot easier to find too. You can always change the Beetle to the MT later if you wanted anyways.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:50 PM
kirkieboy

I tend to disagree with those who say that the beetle handles "better" than the MT. In truth, they simply handle "differently". The MT has a slightly higher center of gravity, which means you have to handle it more gingerly through rough/sharp turns. Additionally, to ease the suspension for jumps and cornering (stock setup is really rigged for pavement running) you can just put a lighter oil and remove the sway bar in the rear.

What I am really saying is that it all comes to what you want (just as everyone has said). I personally like the MT because it looks like a TRUCK, it handles like a truck, and you have to drive it like a truck. Beetle lovers usually like the MB because it looks like a buggy, and handles like a buggy.

So in the end, its your choice. Do you want the look and handling of a Monster Truck or the look and handling of a Buggy? MT or MB.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:14 PM
geniusgene

I also disagree w/ the statment that the Mb handles bettter than the MT. After spending some time to properly set up the suspension ans adjust the geometry my MT handles more like my Savage. The suspension is so plush that it hardly gets upset going flat out over rough terrain. I like the side skirts and the 8 shocks.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:34 PM
X-cell Fury

Good post - I am in the same situation my self at the mo in deciding what to buy and I think I am going to but the MT
Old 05-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Cyberfyn

One other thing to take into account is the DIRT FACTOR! The MB has a close fitting shell which keeps a lot of the crap out of the insides. The MT has huge great open sides which let everything in

Obviously I'm a Beetle driver

Old 05-03-2005, 02:47 PM
snooptalian

The whole point of saying the MB handles better than the MT is that there really is no adjusting of anything to achieve great handling out of the box. You guys are saying that with the correct adjustment to the MT, be it something done to the suspension or the shocks, or if it is adjusting the way you drive, mainly around sharp turns to avoid flipping because of the higher center of gravity, that the MT handles as well as the Beetle. But in order to get to that level of handling certain things need to be adjusted on the MT and you don't need to do anything like that with the Beetle.

In the end though, both are basically the same thing, get a Beetle and put a truck body on it and say you have both...You can't go wrong with either version...It's almost like comparing apples to apples...
Old 05-03-2005, 02:49 PM
fourwheeler

There is alot of useful info in the posts here. Thanks for the responces. I had pretty much decided to get the Beetle but was thinking if the shocks were suspect that I would just get the MT and take off 4 of the shocks and run it like that. Has anyone tried running the MT with 4 shocks as they are produced from the factory? What is the shock oil comparison between the MB and the MT? Same weights?
Old 05-03-2005, 03:52 PM
kirkieboy

ORIGINAL: snooptalian

In the end though, both are basically the same thing, get a Beetle and put a truck body on it and say you have both...You can't go wrong with either version...It's almost like comparing apples to apples...
Almost? Thats exactly how it is! The MB is like a big red washington apple, and the MT is an even Bigger Green Granny Smith Apple (you need to acquire a taste for it, but when you do its great! )

But basically they are the same thing in the end.

Don't forget that there is supposed to be a Monster Beetle Pro coming out this year, which is, literally, an MT with a Beetle body. So keep that in mind when choosing.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:16 PM
deltron63

i run a mt and my mate runs a mb. i change the shock oil all round and there really is no difference between them.
the only thing i noticed was the truck would stay on it's roof and the beetle would roll back on it's wheels more!
so i put my beetle shell on it and it rolls back as well.
i suppose ive got a monster beetle pro now.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:09 PM
kirkieboy

Yes you do! Are you gonna start a preorder?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:36 PM
amitysanimal

ORIGINAL: Cyberfyn

One other thing to take into account is the DIRT FACTOR! The MB has a close fitting shell which keeps a lot of the crap out of the insides. The MT has huge great open sides which let everything in

Obviously I'm a Beetle driver

I have the MB too and dirt does get in on the chassis, maybe not as bad as the MT. Check out the guards for the MB and MT here:

http://www.fgperformancerc.com/index1.html

Scroll down and on the right hand side. These make a HUGE difference in keeping the chassis cleaner, I have them on my MB.

amitysanimal
Old 05-03-2005, 06:53 PM
No Moa

i have to say, i have a set of those gaurds, and they made a HUGE diff on my MT as far as keeping the dirt out. Now i get a small bit instead of tons like before. I ran in the rain (had just rained) and the servos were a bit damp, but no real water to speak of.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:01 PM
snooptalian

ORIGINAL: No Moa

i have to say, i have a set of those gaurds, and they made a HUGE diff on my MT as far as keeping the dirt out. Now i get a small bit instead of tons like before. I ran in the rain (had just rained) and the servos were a bit damp, but no real water to speak of.
Those are some great guards for sure...Keeps the time necessary to clean the car down to a bare minimum.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:08 PM
madgti

In my opinion they all don't handle all that great i guess thas what i feel after owning nitro. Gzz those nitro handle so well. Ok back to FG it all comes down to what you like and the best way to decide is to see them in person or in a video. Were having a get together with a few FG guys (MB, MT, and Pajero) in our area and maybe i can make a video to help you decide. The weather lately has been really bad so i hope to make another video soon. It is almost impossible to get the MT to HANDLE well since that beast is so unbalance and clumsy. If handling is an issue then I would pick the heavy, and unbalanced beattle (marder) since the center of gravity is closer to the ground.

I like the MT just because i like it.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:09 PM
No Moa

Cleaning? what is that?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:14 PM
madgti

Does anyone have pictures of the side gurad from the otherside of the side plates? I' just wondering how it goes on and how thick it is.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:47 PM
No Moa

ORIGINAL: madgti

Does anyone have pictures of the side gurad from the otherside of the side plates? I' just wondering how it goes on and how thick it is.

I can send you some e-mail, but it will not let me upload any pictures!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.