Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

The Madness Continues. The Mega Maxx Gasser! (update 5-28-05 Video)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

The Madness Continues. The Mega Maxx Gasser! (update 5-28-05 Video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Madness Continues. The Mega Maxx Gasser! (update 5-28-05 Video)

Hi All,

Ok... since My Maxx Gasser worked out WAY better than anyone thought it would (still haven't broken the drive train)... I'm building a second one for a friend in my flying club. But since I released the pics and vid... I have been contacted by quite a few people to build a Gasser conversion for them. The problem is that it is very hard to squeeze a gas engine into a 1/8th scale sized truck. So...the easy solution is to build it big enough so there was room to fit any of the typical hobby or line trimmer engines into the chassis. That idea pushed the size up from a 1/8th scale truck... to a 1/6th scale truck/buggy.

So... let me introduce the beginning of my Mega Maxx Gasser.

This version has a full 18.5" wheel base, and the wheel track is 10.5" on the inside of the tires. That should put it right in line with the FG off-road vehicles. It will also be 4 wheel drive, have a two speed transmission, have reverse, and should only weigh about 13 Lbs !!! (my max gasser weighs 12 Lbs right on the nose) The power is coming from a Zenoah GZ25N "strato-charged" engine. (thanks to ryan@ddm for identifying it for me) OK... that’s not the most powerful engine in the world... but it should feel great on this light chassis.

I'm using the roll cage/bar from a Fire Hammer. (should be the same as the FG's) and the first body for it will be an FG Baja Bug. Although, my friend wants to see it in a buggy body. I may eventually make a basic buggy body since it's relatively easy to do vacuum forming. (I've done a bunch for RC aircraft) Oh... and the best part about this truck is... Traxxas T/s/sport Maxx parts are SUPER EASY to get. every hobby shoppe stocks them. and there is a butt load of after market parts. every part on this thing can be swapped out with aluminum, heaver nylon, or steel. (including the trany gears for the power hungry people)

Anyway... these are just the "Fitting stuff together" pics. I still need to finish the second 1/8th scale sized truck... then this one will get my undivided attention. I hope to have it in a driving condition in about two weeks.

UPDATE: 5-10-05

OK... my body showed up today, and it's going to work out perfect!. So... here are a couple teaser shots to hold you over until I get some work done on it. If the wife doesn't have me doing stuff all week... I hope to get it drivable by the weekend. (but probably not painted)

Update 5-21-05

Well... it runs Here are just a couple quick pics. it was getting dark, so I only got to run one tank of fuel threw it. And... the engine is new... so I couldn't get on the throttle too hard. But the longer stretch makes it handle better than the "Maxx Gasser." I'll try to get some video tomorrow. I also still need to paint the body... but I'm sure you guys don't care about that right now.

In the process of building it... I did loose one feature that I said it would have. It no longer has reverse. The reversing system in the T-Maxx trany is a bad design, and I felt it would cause a premature death to the trany... so it's out. But... it still has a two speed trany, and it is 4wd Oh... and it's tipping the scales right at 13 Lbs. (much liter than the FG’s)

Old 05-04-2005, 07:24 AM
fourwheeler

Default RE: The Madness Continues. I'm starting the Mega Maxx!!

Oh wow, all nice and shiny I can't wait to see this thing run.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:25 AM
fire01

Looks very good man
Old 05-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Dil

Good work dr honda, that thing looks dammm neat, though why have you left quite a bit of space between the engine and the gearbox?.

keep it going....awsome!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

Keep us posted!
Old 05-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Dr Honda

Thanks for the kind words.

Dil... Right now the engine is not bolted to the chassis. So... it may get moved forward a bit. But... since I'm using the fire hammer roll bar set, the engine will still be towards the rear of the chassis. Also... since there is that much room... it will be very easy to make up a drive shaft with two universal joints. That way, I won't have to be critical with lining the engine up with the transmission like I did with my last project.

Don't worry... I will post new pics as this project evolves. (and eventually some vid)
Old 05-04-2005, 01:03 PM
kidd

but wouldn't it be better to have more weight towards the middle. it might cut down on wheelies and help with handling?
Old 05-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Doahh

DR Honda...

You convinced me

I'm doing a T-Maxx conversion soon =)

I'm going to start autocading it on friday when i get the softwear

=)
Old 05-04-2005, 05:31 PM
madgti

keep us posted and make a list on what we need to fabricate

I may hit up on this project some time in the near future and maybe rest the FG monster truck
Old 05-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Dr Honda

Default RE: The Madness Continues. I'm starting the Mega Maxx! (update 5-10-05)

updated the first post... 5-10-05
Old 05-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Big_deee

hey ya looks really cool man i'm kinda working on my MGT doing the same thing to it. I have one question with these 2-cycle engines can I replace the stock muffler from the weed wacker with something like a straight pipe? or do these need back pressure to run like nitros do?
Old 05-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is absolutely brilliant! My T-Maxx is worried now.......... lol!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Jared1106

Looks cool, stretch T-Maxx... LOL
Old 05-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Dr Honda

Thanks all.

Big Dee... No... you don’t need the stock muffler, but you do need something to keep raw air from getting back into the cylinder. But, a pipe long enough to get the exhaust out of the body will be plenty long enough. On my Pacesetter... it had an open pipe that was about 4 inches long, and it ran fine. But a tuned pipe will give you the best performance.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:12 PM
JRexA

I must try to get hold of a trashed T-Maxx or Genesis for a project like that.

After that... I just need to upgrade my toolbox a lot....
Old 05-11-2005, 01:29 PM
thefastman16

i have a trashed tmaxx and spares name a price if u wont it
cheers tnoble
Old 05-11-2005, 04:05 PM
original.mb

looks excellent love the big-scale conversion well thought out and looks even better built-up like that with vw shellsweet mate nice one
Old 05-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Big_deee

ok thanks thats what I kinda thought. A little bonus for me is the exhaust port points down to the bottom of the truck. Had to do something with the muffler cuz the hot ehaust was exiting out a hole in the muffler right next to my shock.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:10 PM
reckless driver

Have you ever seen the engines from this website. I think (if not mistaken) the company is from the US. Might be small enough to fit on a 1/8 -1/10 scale without much modification. I know little about engineering. Worth a look though.

http://www.mecoa.com/compagnucci/
Old 05-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Dr Honda

Default RE: The Madness Continues. I'm starting the Mega Maxx! (update 5-21-05)

updated the first post.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:48 PM
esutek

Pretty slick. Being a DIY type of guy I LOVE stuff like this. But PLEASE...Dump those BUTT UGLY T-MAXX rims and BABY sized tires Lol
Old 05-22-2005, 07:38 AM
Croozer

As always Dr. Honda, you have done a fine job. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Dr Honda

Hi All,

I forgot to take the video camera with me to the flying field on Sunday. So, it will be a couple more days until I can get some clips of it running. But... I did let a few people beat on it. I ran it at full speed across the parking lot... then I couldn't get it stopped in time to save it from jumping into a 6 foot drop off, and into a rock filled drainage ditch. Damage... none !!! (a few scratches in the plastic) Another person was driving it... and ran it at about 30 mph into the side of a parked car.[:@] Damage... a dent in the parked car. a third maniac driver had it in a hilly grass area... ran it full speed (about 45-50 mph) off the top of a hill.... and it landed upside down, and backwards... then cart wheeled for 40 yards. [X(] Damage... a busted Traxas shock tower.

OK... it got a GOOD beating, and only broke one thing. BUT... the drive train is still intact!!! I think I have a solution on how to beef up the rear roll cage mount, where it connects to the shock tower... so that shouldn't be a problem in the long run.

But I’ll tell you… nothing is cooler than having enough torque, on a light weight chassis, to be able to spin all four ties on the asphalt. To be quite honest… I didn’t know if this engine was going to be worth a dam, since it’s one of the low emissions engines. (it’s a Zenoah “strato charged” 25cc) and on top of that… the 4 oz fuel tank ran for an easy 12 minutes. (good run time, and keeps the weight down)

Keep your eyes open here for some video probably by Wednesday night.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:42 PM
CowboyBob

Dr. Honda,

Being the handy fellow that you are...I'll bet that you could find a way to adapt a hydraulic brake set-up to your Mega Maxx. There are a number of different manufacturers that make the brakes for 1/5 and 1/6 scale cars, but cost is always a factor.

Maybe with an improved braking system you wouldn't have to worry about the itchy trigger fingers of haphazard throttle jockeys ;-)

Keep up the great work....

CowboyBob
Old 05-23-2005, 01:17 PM
sasquatch1976

Dr. Honda: 12 mins... hmm. OK sompaired to a stock T-Maxx.. But will it be possible/will you mount a bigger tank. I would think that 20-25 will be in spirit with the large displacement engine setups.... Looks like there's room, and doubling the fuel weight will not make it that much heavier.. or ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.