Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1/6 scale trucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 12:34 AM
JET FX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/6 scale trucks

Hi Iam just curious to find out whats available as far as 1/6 scale electric trucks go? ideally Iam looking for something like an F-150 pick up or Explorer etc, but I want it to have scale wheels and look stock. I have seen the ones available in Walmart etc and they look ok but just wondering what else may be available out there??? Iam looking for a truck capable of towing my 1/6 scale aircraft from pits to the flight line any suggestions welcome

Cheers-
Old 05-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Cyberfyn

Default RE: 1/6 scale trucks

The Walmart trucks (Hummer etc) have very nice bodies but useless mechanics, theay really are just toys. But for your specific job I think they would be OK.

Most of the people on this forum (myself included) drive the 23-26cc petrol engined monsters from FG. They'll do 50mph and weigh about 15kilos. Plus cost around $1000 so they might be a bit on the overkill side!

Still you could strap your plane on to the top, blast up the runway and do away with the landing gear

Ian F.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:06 PM
JET FX

Hi Ian, sound like a good option 15kg undercarrage maybe a bit much... probably could land anywhere I wanted though hmmmm. Seriously is there anything electric in 1/6 scale trucks (on road) that you know of? more scale the better! Iam not overly concerned with least expensive if the quality is there
Old 05-07-2005, 12:11 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MRC used to make a truck that was "world scale" It was pretty close to 1/6th scale. It was electric and had two motors in it to power it. It had a nice ford body on it and looked like it was lifted slightly. They were really cool but did not catch on. They made 2 different trucks and 1 buggy.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:14 PM
sasquatch1976

FG actually makes electric powered 1:5 scale cars also. With modifications to the bodymounts you could equip it with a truck body as they have the same wheelbase as the touringcars.

I guess that a car/sedan body will be no good for the looks when towing your large scale plane. ??

The FG electric car is also somewhat pricy, but very drivable (have friend with a brushless motor from Lehner (1000+Watts) and 18 cells in it. Lightning fast.

He tells me that one guy in his club has mounted the MAN truck body on his... Should be fun to hear it only zip past you when used to hear the wheedwacker engine.

I will gently poke him in the eyeballs with a stick and have him ack what parts was needed to fit the truck body. When I say modifications i mean official FG parts and no manufacturing yourself.

Regards
Old 05-07-2005, 12:26 PM
daytona7

There is another company in Europe that makes large scale electric trucks, loaders, fork lifts and such and I think they also had a tow truck. Just do not remember the name.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:29 AM
RC Collector

The MRC World Scale trucks were actually 1/8 scale, but the lexan body was larger than those currently available and so made the truck look bigger. These trucks were 2wd, and had issues with the diff slipping - so would not make a great towing vehicle. Parts are also harder to find.

I doubt whether the 1/6 toy cars have the torque to pull your plane, though the bodies are very detailed - many of us can hardly resist the temptation to bolt one on our FG's.

I would have to recommend a Traxxas E-Maxx, retrofitted with a scale looking (toy) body of your choice. It's 4wd, has lots of pulling power in first gear, and comes RTR at just under $300. Parts are cheap and easy to find.

I would say that a large (1/6, 1/7) toy truck body could easily be fitted on the E-Maxx. Many of these have lights, etc., which you can "carry over" to your custom E-Maxx with minimal modification. You then have a scale looking truck that will easily pull your large plane over asphalt & grass.