Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Front & Rear Stabilizer

Old 05-27-2005, 02:24 AM
RC_Feen
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front & Rear Stabilizer

Does anyone run a front or rear stabilizer on there off-road FG ie. Marder/MT/MB? Does it really improve handling? Thanks!
Old 05-27-2005, 02:39 AM
Cyberfyn

Default RE: Front & Rear Stabilizer

If you intend to race with them, then yes they do aid handling. They will keep the car much stiffer and cornering is a little better. But if you just want to bash, then no. In fact most people now take the back one off straight away (the new MT & MB come with rear as standard). It's far too stiff and makes the car unstable over very rough ground.

Ian F.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:51 AM
daytona7

Cyberfyn,
You mentioned that the rear stabilizer aids handling on racing but is too stiff and makes the MT/MB unstable over very rough ground. What would you consider very rough ground? I'm new to the off-roads and hoping to help get a giant scale class going here in Florida. Since the scale will be new, I'll take any kind of terrain that might become available. So far the only thing that has run the Giant Scale MT's was one race on a parking lot in the Monster Truck style racing you see on TV with Big Foot and the Grave Digger going side by side jumping over some parked junk cars, turning in opposite directions and returning, all on a timed course smaller than the size of a football field. Great for the 1/10 and 1/8 scale but not for the giant scale as they need more room than the rest.
As I said, I'm new to this off-road stuff so I'm open for any and all help, information, suggestions(reasonable) and whatever to help get this scale started. PM, e-mail me or even post here.
Thanks for any and all help!
Leon
Old 05-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Cyberfyn

The smooth conditions with jumps you talk about would suit a car setup with anti roll bars. It would make handling & steering better. I would also drop out the 2000wt shock oil and replace with 500 in the front and 800 in the rear. This would make the car launch and land better. The stock setup just makes the car bounce over everything with no finese.

I would concider anything other than paved roads "Off Road" In this environment the roll bars hinder the movement of the suspension. If one wheel goes over a bump at speed the roll bar would try and equalise the car by compressing the oposite spring, making the car squat down. Now imagine this happening 20 times a second at WOT.... Not good!

Ian F.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:07 AM
daytona7

I've already replaced the shock oil with 80 rear and 55 front. NO wheelies or roll over even on sharp turns. I'm not really a big fan of the Big Foot, Grave Digger style of racing but more interested in the buggy off-road road-course style with jumps, turns, soft areas and a lot more than just 1 lap. Doing a 1 lap race is about as exciting as watching a drag race or a light bulb turn on.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Cyberfyn

Agreed. Mud, dust and blood! That's racing

In which case no roll bars is a must.

Ian F.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:49 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

So you're sayin' the stabilizer bars are a waste right? I'll try removing mine. It seems harder to adjust the suspension using them since they're so hard. That's the one thing that drives me crazy. Soon I'll have all the parts to switch my MB to a Marder race. I saw the spiked tires on one and wow do you get traction and stability with them!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Mad Wax

When I removed the F&R rod stalizer's I noticed a immediated difference. I preferred stalibilzers on. They're only 20 Euros for the F&R set so pretty cheap.