Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Fouling NGK iridium plug???

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 08:40 PM
way2fastrcz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fouling NGK iridium plug???

Hi,
New to 1/6 scale and I have a FG MT with a G260RC. After breaking in the engine (still running rich) I fouled the Champion plug (RZ7C). So I purchased some NGK iridiums (CR8HIX) and tuned the motor to FG's specs. The motor ran great but the plug burnt out only after 1 hour of run time??? I have also been using a Champion Z9Y (could't get the RZ7C at the time) and it works however the motor seemed to run cleaner with the NGK iridium.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks

p.s. I didn't gap the plug...don't know if that contributed to the problem. Any idea of the proper plug gap???
Old 05-30-2005, 09:00 AM
daytona7

Default RE: Fouling NGK iridium plug???

With the Iridium plugs, you might want to lean it out JUST a HAIR. Also, warm the engine up for a few minutes with a stock plug first, then switch over to the Iridium while the engine is still warm.
Setting the carb to factory specs is just to get it back into a neutral setting. You have to make carb adjustments for the air, humidity and other factors in your area at the time plus oil/gas ratio, type of oil used. All these play a large part in obtaining the best performance operation of the engine. One last item. If you let the engine idle too long it will also build up unburnt oil on the plug.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Croozer

Hmmmm,
I would stick with the stock plug, what type of oil and what oil/fuel ratio are you using?
I run mine at 25:1 and it runs like a raped ape with cheapo Sears Craftsman 2 cycle engine oil.

Old 05-30-2005, 11:27 AM
daytona7

Croozer,
You been visiting the zoo again?????
Old 05-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Croozer

ORIGINAL: daytona7

Croozer,
You been visiting the zoo again?????
[sm=lol.gif]Whatever that ape said, shes a damn liar.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:08 PM
way2fastrcz

Thanks Daytona,

Croozer- I'm running 32:1 and using FG racing 2 stroke oil. I was told by the store I bought the truck from that 25:1 makes the truck extremely hard to start???

Now that I think about it the NGK iridium plug looked a little wet when I removed it. Guess I'll clean and dry it and try it again. The truck seemed a little quicker on the top-end with the iridium plug as opposed to the stock Champion plug.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:15 PM
Croozer

32:1 is actually less oil content, so that should not be a problem so far as fouling is concerned.
Have you compared the heat range between the stock plug and the one you have now?

Old 05-30-2005, 03:15 PM
pehter aka ibbe

way2fas****:
I have run 4% since I have bought it, around 12-13 litre now, and it has always started on 2-3 pulls. Just make sure you have tuned the carb right and have a clean airfilter. I have a NGK CMR6H that works fine.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:27 PM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

The Z9y is'nt a Resistor plug. You can have major radio interference. You need a resistor plug.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:43 PM
way2fastrcz

Thanks for all the responses. I will definitely change out the Champion Z9Y cause it's not a resistor plug!

The needles are set at 1 1/4 at low end and 1 1/2 at high end. I will try drying off the plug (this tells me it maybe a little rich) and go from there.

Again thanks for all the responses....YOU GUYS ROCK
Old 06-01-2005, 10:34 AM
auspilot

Hello Peoples

I am suffering major radio interference on my monster truck when the G230RC is running. After trying numerous radios, servo's, recievers and the likes, I still have no resolution. When the engine is running above idle speed the servo's twitch and go silly. When the vehicle is being driven occasionally the throttle does not respond. Even the fail safe has difficulty keeping up with the eratic behaviour.

The first truck took off like a rocket and launched into a wall at max speed, all without any driver control. Needless to say, the supplier replaced it.

The second truck did the same thing but only had a low speed crash. Now currently with the importer/wholesaler being tested.

From reading the above posts the spark plug option sounds like it might fix the prob. I am not sure if the plug currently in it is a resistor plug.

I'll keep you posted. In the meantime if any one has any ideas please send a post.

Cheers
Old 06-01-2005, 05:57 PM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

Radio interference can be caused buy a non resistor plug, placement of the receiver,exposed servo wires in contact with chassis, re adjustment of pots (trim levers) on transmitters.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:57 PM
turnell

Radio Interference can also be caused by the fly wheel being too close to the coil. even if it is new it might just be a factory fault.