Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Need some recommendations please.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Need some recommendations please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Nitroaddict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some recommendations please.

Been doing some research and have decided to purchase a large scale vehicle. You can look into my gallery and see that I am not new to RC, but this will be my first venture into gasoline large scale.

Any recommendations, hints and tips, or other things I should be aware of? I am into racing on the 8th scale circuit, but this will be strictly for play. No one around has a large scale either, so this will mostly be a solo venture.

My LHS stocks parts and accessories for the FG lineup so I think I have narrowed it down to these. Trying to keep the cost at or below 1000.00.

Looking at the Monster Beetle, the Beetle Marauder, the Marauder Buggy, and the Monster Truck Bigfoot. The bigfoot has my interest the most.

What are all of yall's recommendations and/or inputs?

Thanks in advance for the help.

- Anthony
Old 06-07-2005, 01:23 PM
TGNman

Default RE: Need some recommendations please.

I have only owned the FG Bigfoot but I can tell you this truck will cost you a lot in upgrades if you plan to do hardcore off roading. The buggies seem more limited in what they can do but I bet that reduces the amout of $100 hobby shop visits you will take with the trucks.

My $.02 on the issue.

Oh, plus the trucks will end up coist over $1000 thats for sure. so maybe the buggies are the way to go.

Mark Hull
Old 06-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Nitroaddict

TGN - Thanks for the input. How do the large scale gasser's hold up as compared to the durability of 8th and 10th scale nitro vehicles?

My usage of the vehicle will be limited to construction site type dirt areas, the lake shore, and around my property. Will this type of use require upgrading, or should I be okay?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:21 PM
TGNman

Your welcome.

Those areas would be great for the truck, and maybe even the buggies. I recommend you watch as many video as possible to give you a good idea of the difference between the two.

I have an 1/8 scale that I can’t seem to break over many years of driving it. BUT, I also don’t jump the 1/8 scale off 6 foot tall hills or hit and climb rocks at 20+ mph. Its all relative....

Mark Hull
Old 06-08-2005, 12:22 AM
kidd

i've jumped my monster beetle over my head and 30 feet from the ramp landed on asphalt multiple times. i think it has a death wish

if i where to buy another i would go with a cheeper model and put some after market aluminum 40 series wheels on it just because it'll cost a bit of money just to get it to last thru the first few tanks. the drivetrain sucks for the money i would atleast expect aluminum motor mounts.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:48 AM
a_vdk

If you want to keep the cost under $1000.00 over the long haul it would be better to go with one of the marder clone vehicles (smarttech/duratrax) since they have the same basic parts at half the price of the FG. Then upgrade to the necessary alloy parts like rear alloy upper arms, alloy uprights, diff. cover, etc. If you bash even half as hard as I do these parts will be needed For some reason the urge to run these harder is inevitable maybe it is the scale or insanity[sm=bananahead.gif]

I have everything alloy made with a 5+ HP engine and I still break things[sm=lol.gif]
Old 06-08-2005, 07:32 AM
Nitroaddict

a vdk - the clones; are they exact replicas in the sense that FG parts will directly fit?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:23 AM
dazzahughesuk

I think you need to driver better

I have a Monster Beetle (MB) and i love it. It all dependes on wht you will be doing with the car/truck? If it is just for bashing around, then the Monster Truck (MT) is ideal and so it the MB. The Marders that both of the mentioned are based on. just with different wheels, gearing and some boby mounts etc.. and 8 shocks for the MT, where as the rest has 4. so better for 2m jumbs
These FG are very strong cars. I used to have a Marder Race, until i sold it as i got board of it and wanted something different, so i got a MB which io have had for only a month now. It is still stock at the mo, but one upgrade tha needs to be done (i have ordered) is the metal pinion gear (small gear) and a Alloy gear carrier for the spur gear (big gear) you will soon see when you get one and start using it. This is not the case on the Marder Race and this already has this upgrade along with some other parts.

Hope that is of some help and has not confused you?
Darren

ORIGINAL: a_vdk

If you want to keep the cost under $1000.00 over the long haul it would be better to go with one of the marder clone vehicles (smarttech/duratrax) since they have the same basic parts at half the price of the FG. Then upgrade to the necessary alloy parts like rear alloy upper arms, alloy uprights, diff. cover, etc. If you bash even half as hard as I do these parts will be needed For some reason the urge to run these harder is inevitable maybe it is the scale or insanity[sm=bananahead.gif]

I have everything alloy made with a 5+ HP engine and I still break things[sm=lol.gif]
Old 06-08-2005, 09:01 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, Texan!
I have the FG Monster Beetle and I have come to love it because of the reliability and power of the engine, but in my opinion they are not really made for the big jumps (like those I put my T MAXX and Kyosho through [sm=disappointed.gif]). I have had my car since early in the tax season, and I have dumped a great deal of money into it in that short time...and I do not even jump at all! My advice to anyone who wants to get into the giant-scale trucks/buggies/beetles would be to consider what you want the vehicle to be able to do, and how much money you are willing to spend to get it ready.
If you want to fly, buy an 8th scale buggy. If you want to drive over just about anything in your local terrain with confidence (including 8th and 10th scale rc's), buy an MB or an MT. *BUT* save your $$$ and do it right, or you will be sorry. The initial cost is considerable (to me, anyway), but that is just the tip of the iceberg. If you buy any one of these amazing "gassers", and you don't plan to drive like a granny, you will find that they need several upgrades in order to be able to keep up with your ambitious driving.
If I still had the $2,000 + dollars that I spent on my MB, I would keep adding to that money until I could either buy a Lauterbacher, or buy as many alloy parts and hop-ups as possible at the moment of purchase. There are just too many plastic parts on the MB for the way I drive. [sm=tired.gif]
Get the money, spend the money, and GOOD LUCK! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 06-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Nitroaddict

hey icecream - thanks for the input - upgrades required initially for just high speed bashing and some less than 2 foot high jumping?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:43 PM
a_vdk

If I drove better than that would take all the fun ot of it If you are only going to do light bashing than start with the rear upper alloy arms and alloy pinion gear / spur alloy gear holder. Those gears will break and strip in no time even with only 2 ft. jumps. High speed on flat dirt surfaces should not be a problem, but using the word bashing at all with these vehicles will get you up to 2000+ in no time.

Drive nice and jump low, it just might last[&:] If I had to drive like that I would rather not
Old 06-08-2005, 09:58 PM
jimbo1890

The extras I would buy first are front alloy uprights the screws pulled out of mine, rear upper alloy wishbones the left plastic one flexes when you land the wrong way and hits the spur gear causing it to fail, a steel clutch bell pinion gear the plastic one can melt, an alloy spur gear carrier the centre rounds out on the layshaft and a diff tube upgrade it dents easily

these are the things I distroyed first so in my opinion are essential and should come stock as for the rest replace as you distroy. I like alloy but there are others that like the flex the stock plastic gives.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:16 PM
USABaja5B

NA, since I almost know you from many other places, I would suggest the FG Monster Beetle. You'll get some great air, but nothing compared to a Savage. These trucks are huge, and weigh alot. I do moderate jumps and crashes, and haven't broken anything major yet. But, I still have my Savage for hard bashing and double flips and whatnot. I'm not sure the MT is worth the extra money for what you get. It all depends on your driving habits.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:49 AM
Nitroaddict

RAm and everyone else, thanks so far for the input - It sounds like my best bet may be to start lookin on ebay for one that is slightly used with some upgrades already built in, or getting a good deal on one and purchasing some of the recommended upgrades right from the start.

On a side note - since I am on a budget - I wonder if it wouldn't be better for me to just purchase a marauder buggy and use the extra money to get some upgrades. That would keep me in my price bracket. Only problem is that I really don't like the looks of the buggy. It just seems out of proportion. I'm so vain.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:51 AM
Nitroaddict

RAm and everyone else, thanks so far for the input - It sounds like my best bet may be to start lookin on ebay for one that is slightly used with some upgrades already built in, or getting a good deal on one and purchasing some of the recommended upgrades right from the start.

On a side note - since I am on a budget - I wonder if it wouldn't be better for me to just purchase a marauder buggy and use the extra money to get some upgrades. That would keep me in my price bracket. Only problem is that I really don't like the looks of the buggy. It just seems out of proportion. I'm so vain.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:01 AM
a_vdk

The marder or clone version would do fine then you could get the alloy hop ups needed and maybe even get some
Ramtec wheels too boot That might keep you around your starting budget The key word is
"starting" [sm=tongue.gif]
Old 06-09-2005, 09:55 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

I would get the Marder or Marder Race, The leopard race would be even better since the chassis is longer and more stable. I have the MB with tons of upgrades and I'm converting it back to a Modified Monster Marder Race!! MMMR for short. The wheels give you much better traction then the Monster tires. Those tires are great for rougher surfaces. Make sure you get the foams in then - thay make a HUGE difference.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:06 AM
sasquatch1976

I would say that the foams are definately NOT an advantage. Personally I hate them. Originally thought of the foams because of the NON-flatspot tendency.

But after driving a friend of mine's MT (identical to my own except the foams) I'm truly glad I didnt get them. I drive everywhere with mine (many kinds of surfaces) and experience NO advantages. Only make the MT more bumpy and less grip IMO. HE tried a few different shockoils to compensate, but without luck.

Just a note. I'm sure SELWA love them, but I'm just writing this because foams are not always a plus.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:12 PM
pxu12
Banned

check this page:

http://www.rseetoys.com/bigfoot.htm