Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

That's the way to do it!

Old 06-09-2005, 04:38 AM
Cyberfyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's the way to do it!

Whooooooo. Blown my first gear set!

So the moral of this story? If you are using the stock plastic gears DONT use a gear cover. It obviously makes the gears overheat, mind you I was doing some really long WOT runs up and down a beach[>:]

Ian F.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:46 AM
a_vdk

Default RE: That's the way to do it!

If you continue to drive in those conditions you may find that you will still overheat and strip those plastic gears[]

Too each his own weak point

It looks like you had fun if only for a moment in time and that is what matters[&:]
Old 06-09-2005, 04:47 AM
dazzahughesuk

Oh dear.
I have just ordered a metal pinion gear (the small one) and a alloy gear carrier. The pinion came this morning from KRB and i am just waiting on the alloy gear carrier.

At the club i go to NVR, one of the members has seen both the plastic pinion and spur met together

Darren
Old 06-09-2005, 04:53 AM
a_vdk

I wish I took picture's of my gear carnage. It has been quite an adventure of melting and stripping[>:]
Old 06-09-2005, 07:27 AM
Cyberfyn

Funny thing is I had a marder race (26cc) before this for 2 years and it still had the original gears on when I sold it. OK they were a little worn & chipped, but I never stripped or melted one, & I drove that car as hard or even harder than the MB. Although I never fitted a gear cover to the Marder.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:43 AM
rhylsadar

with the big tires the forces are quite a bit bigger there. normal buggies suffer much less from this type of problem. steel pinion and alloy gear carrier is the thing to do. even then you will strip some spur gears from time to time.
rhylsadar
Old 06-09-2005, 08:01 AM
jimbo1890

Cyberfyn, did you run your Marder on the sand like your monster beetle, I found that sand gets between the spur gear and the spur gear carrier and locks them both together solid which then negates the rubber bushings. I did not strip gears but I distroyed 2 plastic spur gear carriers.

What I did with the alloy spur carrier was to take a skim off the outside diameter with a lathe so the gap between the alloy carrier and the plastic spur gear is just larger than a grain of sand and can't lock solid. Since I did this I have had no problems

I am also running a steel pinion, my ratio is 18/46 and up until recently my cover was on.

Another thing to consider as to the cause of your problem.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Cyberfyn

Yes. I ran them both in the sand, but only on hard wet sand (low tide) I try and keep out of the dry stuff

Ian F.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:08 AM
jimbo1890

I found that when I striped the inner flats on my plastic spur gear carrier it was a real ordeal to remove the spur gear from the carrier. Have you found this too?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Cyberfyn

No, the flats remained... er... flat. It was just the teeth that fell off!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:59 PM
X-cell Fury

Looks exactly like mine did yesterday
Old 06-09-2005, 02:46 PM
hellya

Anyone got any pictures of the new pinion/spur gear steel conversion kits mounted on their FG
Old 06-09-2005, 05:15 PM
X-cell Fury

Here's a few pics of my MT fitted with a alloy gear carrier and steel spur gear - accompanied by a sheared pinion gear which is soon to be replaced with a steel one I think.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Mad Wax

My gear set looked exactly like that cyberfn, this is with a open gearwheel. It still overheated, or perhaps a stone got caught. Can't be sure. IMO even with my gear cover I'll still use plastic gearing.

X-Fell I would re-consider not using all metal for the gear parts. What happens if a stone gets caught in the teeth? At least the plastic gear is destroyed and not anything else (and costly)
Old 06-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

Geez![sm=eek.gif]
Old 06-10-2005, 03:33 AM
Cyberfyn

Exactly. I'd rather blow a $6 pinion than a diff or engine!. I have re-ordered plastic gears and a can of spray silcone dry lube. This will kill the friction between the plastic gears, stoping the heat build-up but won't pick up dirt.

Ian F.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:45 AM
a_vdk

This is the stuff I use on my gears with good results. Mine are all steel/alloy though. I try to destroy my beast and have yet to have a faiure in my motor or diff. related to upgrading to all metal gears[sm=surprised.gif] Unless you count my drive cups as part of the diff.[&:]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21084.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	282956  
Old 06-10-2005, 05:34 AM
daytona7

2 years old? Then that explains a lot. Most likely FG used a Superior grade of plastic back then and has only recently switch to an Inferior grade. Just like their switching from Solo and FG engines to the made in China brand. Lower cost = Higher Profit. Or an even easier example. Harley Davidson motorcycles were always American made with American made parts and sold good and were High priced. After HDM switched to cheaper made in China parts, the parts were inferior and started breaking. With the cheaper made parts their prices stayed the same but their profits increased knowing that motorcyclist had to replace the cheap made parts that were breaking with other cheap made parts. Things went great for a while. That was until the motorcycle riders started to switch to other makes and HDM's profits started to plummet almost to the point of full bankruptcy. They learned their lesson mighty fast and went back to a Superior grade parts made in the USA. Now the sales are brisk again with lots of repeat buyers. FG should learn a lesson from HDM.
The above example can be found in most every country or industry when they switch to a POOR QUALITY and CHEAPER PRICED item just to increase their profits at the expense of customer satisfaction and at times safety.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:36 PM
X-cell Fury

I have taken your advice and have ordered a few plastic pinions instead [8D]
Old 06-10-2005, 02:44 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: Cyberfyn

Exactly. I'd rather blow a $6 pinion than a diff or engine!. I have re-ordered plastic gears and a can of spray silcone dry lube. This will kill the friction between the plastic gears, stoping the heat build-up but won't pick up dirt.

Ian F.
Its the clutch bell getting hot from drag being placed on it that melts your pinion gear not the gears meshing toghether
Old 06-11-2005, 05:35 AM
Cyberfyn

I don't think so. The flats on the pinion were not melted at all & I was doing verrrrrry long full throttle runs up and down a beach so the cluch was not constantly being used. In fact the cluch probable just engaged the once as I pulled off so it would have produced no heat on it's own, and I spend the next 5 mins blasting round in huge ovals and figure eights

So I still think it was a combination of full power, dry gears, and sand causing the gears to terminally get together in the ultimate mesh!

Ian F.