Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Dirt Passing thru Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 08:36 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt Passing thru Air Filter

Ok first engine I toasted cause stock air cleaner allowed massive amounts of dirt into the engine so I purchased ADA Billet Air Cleaners....2 stage ones and still got dirt in engines but didn't blow them up the dirt is really fine but dirt none the less....I also have added a air filter sock over the air cleaner now and ran it still pulled the same type of very fine dirt into engine...is this just me or is this normal? I would think dirt no matter how small would eventually toast the engine...I am oiling the filters also I'm using belray filter oil which I use on my dirtbikes...I now got like $75 air filter setups on these cars and still getting dirt any suggestions? In Utah it's really dry alotta dust and our dirt like the people is odd LOL...almost a sand type dirt.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:00 PM
daytona7

Default RE: Dirt Passing thru Air Filter

Try changing to a short Velocity stack to replace the original filter assembly. The velocity stack has a rubber 'O' ring on the bottom which compresses against the top of the carb when you bolt them together during reassembly. Get one of the GREEN FOAM filters and spray the filter good with Filter oil from K&N found at most every bike shop. Use electrical tie tags to hold foam onto neck of V stack and cover the foam filter with an "OuterWear" style bag. You can get all the above from most any 1/4 scale dealers. Check "QSAC.org", Parts and accessories or contact either [email protected] (Ace Rossi Motorsports) or [email protected] (Pit Stop Racing). There is another one on the left coast but I forget his address. Need to tell them which carb you have for the V stack. The V stack about $25, Foam Filter about $5.00 not sure on the price of the outerwear cover. Used the same filter on my 1/4 scale for a whole year and never got so much as a grain of dust inside. Just clean and rinse the filter out after every use and allow to air dry. Had been cleaning the filters in a small bucket of gas due to the oil.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:01 PM
jeepfreak1972

I use the stock fg filter and I use Bellray also. No dirt ever in the carb. I drive in real dusty areas also. Strange things in Utah I guess.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:06 PM
daytona7

Strange State and even STRANGER People. Much stranger than those on the Upper Peninsula[sm=bananahead.gif] or Beaver Island.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:29 PM
jeepfreak1972

ORIGINAL: daytona7

Strange State and even STRANGER People. Much stranger than those on the Upper Peninsula[sm=bananahead.gif] or Beaver Island.
Never been to Utah out der but da U.P. is a little strange.EH
Old 06-17-2005, 10:32 PM
ammdrew

Is the inside of the filter dirty or just the carb, you may be sucking dirt around the base of the aircleaner. we run in some pretty tight sand, a good oiled filter and the bag should solve the entire problem.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:14 AM
a_vdk

I run the ADA 2 stage billet air filter with a nylon sock and have not had a problem with any amount of dirt in my motor. I live in Az. so my dirt is close to yours I believe a certain amount of dust is acceptable. This is the one I run:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42409.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	286509  
Old 06-18-2005, 06:23 AM
mrfisse

Try putting a wetted sock on the air filter works great for me when im runing in extremly dusty conditions. Using the K&N air filter. Even a dry sock help alot. Good luck
Old 06-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Automan

I am going to try using nylons i got from my girlfriend after asking her very nice.. got different colors to will try if that will help any.... i hope it will cause i had to work hard to get them
Old 06-18-2005, 07:24 AM
jimbo1890

Guys, I smear grease on the internal surfaces of my filter housing to catch any dust/grit that gets past the filter though I haven't seen any evidence of dust getting through. It's just a habit from my dirt bike days.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:34 AM
a_vdk

Grease[&:] Good idea I'll have to try that.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:03 PM
daytona7

ORIGINAL: Automan

I am going to try using nylons i got from my girlfriend after asking her very nice.. got different colors to will try if that will help any.... i hope it will cause i had to work hard to get them
Hope you do not go outside wearing her nylons and shorts. I think this site is starting to get a (little?) Kinky[sm=lol.gif]
Old 06-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Automan

daytona7 LOL I noticed today that people are giving me some strange looks after i started using these nylons maybe i will find something else to use

Anyways, i tried in my small backyard my new shocks and shorter springs etc, just a test run you know.
Everything went fine until i by a accident touched the throttle in the wrong moment and the beast jumped over a quite big ditch and landed and smacked into a tree in the Forrest.

The front king cobra bull-bar took the hit, it got a little bent and a crack in the chrome where the bent was, but it was easy to get into shape again, it didn't get bent to much, so i think it's a ok guard in the front to have... sad about the chrome cracking at a small place though.

My front upright thats standard, the lower screw was loose after that bang and dangling, and front wheel was due to that a little of in the camber/caster department I could screw it back, but i don't trust those plastic front uprights any more... it's allot of strain coming their way, so i think it's a must when you have a heavy truck and kinda hard suspension to have front aluminum uprights at least... i really thought that those standard plastic uprights had steel treads for those screws inside, not plastic only thats very bad fg !!!
I was kinda driving the suspension hard trough deep holes and really made that suspension work hard, but anyway i was very disappointed to find this out that they where plastic all trough

The test-run today was little fun, but just a short test cause i cant drive my truck in my backyard, i almost demolished my neighbors fence Ended this day... this warm day and cut the lawn with some ****ing lawn-mower i borrowed from my brother thats electric and uses a cord, i really hate that p.o.s lawn-mower, but i finally got the lawn done... in the backyard the grass wasn't that present puh, i nearly died anyways, i really hate mowing the lawn this way, next time either a rc lawn-mowing, or use a real lawn-mower driven by gas so i don't have to spend a few hours in coma

Old 06-18-2005, 05:43 PM
badz

I run that same exact filter with a outerwears sock and filter is oiled but it's still getting alotta dirt into the carb...fine dirt but it's still like mud globs on the choke plate
Old 06-18-2005, 06:15 PM
daytona7

If you are using the green foam filter as used by QSAC and an Outerwear bag and still getting dust inside, you got a small leak someplace. With the filter off, you should be able to see where the dirtiest part is. Now look at the chock plate and see what side has the most concentration of dirt. If you can remember where the dirtiest part of the filter was seated, you can get a good idea of the problem area. There is a slight possibility that the dirt is getting in around the chock rod. Had been told a few years back by a little guy from Toronto, Canada to take the chock out completely and install 2 grub screws in place of the rod with loctite on to help seal them in. Besides getting a LITTLE bit more air in, you are also eliminating any possible entry for dirt or dust. You do not really need the chock if you prime the bulb properly. Mine starts with-in 4 pulls of the starting rope even when I lived up in Indiana.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:08 PM
DesertEagle

do you need to use the ADA Velocity Stack with it?
Old 06-18-2005, 07:13 PM
DesertEagle

where do u find the Outerwear bag
Old 06-18-2005, 08:45 PM
daytona7

The Outerwear filter cover came with a 1/4 scale Sprint car I had and kept it when I sold the car. If I'm not mistaken you should be able to get one from any dirt bike shop. One of the large scale aftermarket dealers also has similar covers and also velocity stacks, but I can not remember which one it was. The velocity stack was made by a friend who sells to the 1/4 scalers. The nice thing about his is that they are not aluminum but an Industrial type plastic.

Automan,
Be glad you do not live down under, especially if you also wear PINK shorts with the nylons. Law against wearing the pinks on Sundays.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:50 PM
DesertEagle

do you need to use the ADA Velocity Stack with it? its going on a mt
Old 06-18-2005, 08:56 PM
daytona7

Did not see the question on the ADA stack. If you are going to use ANY type of free foam filter, the type that looks as if it came from a fish aquarium, then you would need to use a velocity stack since the stack necks down in the middle which give better support for fastening the filter. Forgot to mention that if you leave the filter on when the car is not being run, the oil has a tendency to settle on the lower part of the filter leaving the rest unprotected/coated. Take it off when done running and clean GOOD, let dry out then place in a zip lock bag with oil it. Before replacing back on, just squeeze the filter storage bag to make sure the oil is evenly distributed on the filter and not soaked to the point where the oil drips off.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:23 PM
badz

Ok i've tried the velocity stack still got dirt in...I believe it's the stock ADA filters are not sufficient enough...the outerwears sock still allows the small dirt thru and so do the filter I'm not even able to get one full tank thru I'm clogging a filter up to point engine shuts down. I've ordered duratrax filter assemblies heard those work great...FG stock ones are about the same also but can't find those anywhere.....I've tried other filter foam(black) from a stock honda air filter I've cut my own and they did stop the dirt but it's all but impossible to get a perfect cut so the fit wasn't the best. I can't locate any green foam as someone suggested...a small engine shop told me stay outta the dirt lol...but hell I don't wanna run it in grass all the time I didn't buy a lawnmower. We got awesome sand dunes and all here sucks that I can't run in them right now.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:23 PM
DesertEagle

[link]http://www.autoanything.com/products/product_gnn.aspx?p_id=2101&se=green_air_filters[/link]

is this it? what one would fit?
Old 06-18-2005, 10:35 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

The black ones give the best performance LOL. Avoid the fishnets.
ORIGINAL: Automan

Old 06-18-2005, 10:50 PM
razataz327

I use the stock air filter with oil on it.. 1 lawyer of speaker material around it.. then over that a sock type item made from nylon fabric.. that has a bit of stretch.. no dirt gets through now.. what hurts is the small sand and dust... just my 2 bits worth.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:47 AM
daytona7

ORIGINAL: DesertEagle

[link]http://www.autoanything.com/products/product_gnn.aspx?p_id=2101&se=green_air_filters[/link]

is this it? what one would fit?
Wrong type of filter. Check QSAC.org, look for After market Parts Manufacturers or Other, or you can e-mail "[email protected]" of Pit Road Racing. Ask about the FOAM FILTERS used by the 1/4 scale cars.

Chowerhead,
Some of the Swedish girls that I've seen looked pretty s**y wearing fishnet and most any kind of stockings, but then again, they all shaved their legs and had longer head hair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.