Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

What did I break? (FG MB)

Old 06-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Pongo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did I break? (FG MB)

Ok, I'm hoping someone out there will be able to help me figure out what I need to fix. Whatever is broken is out of sight and in the drivetrain (either clutch or diff I would guess) The exposed gears all seem fine, and do not appear to be slipping.

Here is what happens,... when I hit the gas, the MB does not go well and makes a horrible (gear stripping?) kind of sound. This only happens under load (revs fine and normal when the wheels are off the ground) I can also putter it around with nothing noticable happening,... it's only when I hit the gas that this happens.

turning the wheels, the diff seems to be working fine (it is pretty sloppy, not sure if it was always like that) and I don't hear or feel anything unusual.

Any ideas? Any more info needed that might be helpful?

If any of the Minnesota guys see this, and might be able to look at it this weekend, send me an email. Thanks.

Troy Robinson
Maple Grove, MN
Old 06-23-2005, 09:20 PM
FGmyzer

Default RE: What did I break? (FG MB)

Take a look at your differential gears
Old 06-23-2005, 09:51 PM
deeppaul
My Feedback: (8)

I had the same problem and it was the tire hub nut (not sure of the name, but it is the alloy nut that turns the tire that has two set screws in it) on mine. One of the set screws were messed up from the factory so it would not tighten up. When I would give it gas the axle would spin inside of the hub. Might be your problem.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:58 PM
mnf1sand

Bring it up to the SHOE in ramsey sunday morning, the whole MolzerMowery gang will be there racing. we can tell you whats up on a second.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Pongo

sounds good,... what time do you guys show up out there?

I'll take a look at the nut, but I'd rather not go and pull out the diff unless I know that's the problem. I'll talk to you guys on Sunday
Old 06-23-2005, 11:16 PM
aicecoldone

i had a similar problem it was the pinion gear in the back that turns the diff thing i looked at it was fine when i took it off part of the tooth was wore down
Old 06-23-2005, 11:18 PM
mnf1sand

were there around 9:00 race around 11:00
Old 06-24-2005, 12:01 AM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

Look at the pinion behind the diff; if that is ok then it is the diff. What diff are you running? If you still have the stocker with the plastic carrier I would bet it has stretched to the point of high torque slippage. I am not sure if your gears are in good enough shape to re-use them with the upgrade kit so you will have to judge. Depending on your buget a nice diff can make a huge difference. $65 up to $330 you make the call. Look at my post in "slippage do I need......" for your options
Old 06-24-2005, 05:07 AM
original.mb

its deffo the diff. i had the same problem with my mb
Old 06-24-2005, 10:06 AM
strong_material
My Feedback: (1)

you are right about not taking apart the diff right away. it is a simple process of elimination. here are a few steps you should take to isolate the problem and determine which part needs fixing.

1. start your engine and put your car against a wall or something that would hold it so you can examine it while applying throttle.
2. check the drivetrain coming from the engine to the diff (in that order)
3. apply throttle to the point of slippage and look at the pinion and spur gears. both pinion and spur are not moving but there appears to be no movement on the shaft that holds the pinion then both are fine. if the shaft that holds the pinion spins and the pinion is not then the set screw for the pinion is either loose or stripped. if the spur gear is spinning and the shaft that holds it is not spinning then the set screw on the spur gear holder disc is loose or stripped.
4. if both pinion and spur gears are spinning while the car is stopped, then look at the small metal transfer gear that drives your diff. if it is not spinning then the set screw on the gear is either loose or sripped.
5. if the pinion, spur and transfer gears are all spinning and you can also see the diff spinning, look at the dog bones, if one of them is spinning then it is the wheel hub on the side where the spinning dogbone is. it might be either loose or stripped.
6. if everything is spinning and the dogbones are not moving then it is time to open up that diff if you still have the stock diff. if you have the adjustable diff, you might just need to adjust it.

i hope that this helps.

Old 06-25-2005, 11:46 AM
turnell

PONGO Iv had the same problem, if you remove the engine from the car and look on the under side of it you will see there is a small gear, on thre gear are two grub nuts, the grub nuts there tend to loosen up and slip due to so much pressure from the high RPM rotation, unscrew the grub nuts and use some loctite on the threads, you'll find loctite at any good hardware store, then screw the grub nuts back in and let the loctite set for about 15 minutes after that you should be fine.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Pongo

Problem solved:

Thanks for all the advice guys. As it turned out the fix was very quick,... after my car got swarmed by 4 guys (thanks again, btw) it took about 20 seconds to fix.

Turned out to be the gear spacing was too much when the throttle was applied,... the engine had slid forward a bit, so there was a lot of slop on the rear gears.