Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG MT locked rear diff?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 12:17 AM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG MT locked rear diff?

I've heard a lot of people say that the FG MT has an open rear diff so I was just wondering if you could make it a locked diff?
Old 07-01-2005, 09:01 AM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FG MT locked rear diff?

Most people who have locked the diff. on the MT/MB/Marder have said that they become practically undrivable due to steering problems and spin-outs when throttling. [&o]

However, I recently read something about the XTM Monster Truck that made me think...

Apparently it comes with three differentials (like an 8th scale buggy), and like my Kyosho Inferno, it has different viscosities in each. The front diff. has low viscosity so it is loose for pulling through turns; the outside wheel spinning faster. The middle is thicker, and the rear differential is very stiff or completely locked, so it greatly increases traction. Sounds good.

Now, all we need is the four-wheel-drive conversion for all of our FG's (even without a center diff.) and we can lock the rear end for better performance without losing good driving characteristics.

Of course this is only a theory in my mind, since I have not tried it. [sm=pirate.gif]
Old 07-01-2005, 09:42 AM
geniusgene

the turnung is fine, but the oversteer at slow speeds is pretty bad. once your moving it's fine.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:45 AM
MountainMotor

So it's just the steering that's most affected? Does anyone have it done to let me know how they like it? I just want a posi rear so I can get more traction. I hate open diffs but steering usually is better.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:01 PM
fire01

Watch for broken diff axles or broken dog bones when locking your diff.The Zenoah puts out a nasty punch wich snaps these parts.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:40 AM
MountainMotor

Cool, I knew the extra traction would probably put stress on some other part, just didn't know what, thanks!
Old 07-05-2005, 12:55 AM
MountainMotor

I've been reading more about the rear diff and I was just wondering if they are open or are they more like a limited slip style?
Old 07-05-2005, 04:42 AM
jimbo1890

They are an open diff standard.

After market diffs include, adjustable, self locking,viscous lsd, magnetic, etc.

There are others, you will have to do some research.

I have the adjustable which works ok for bashing only mine has stopped working for some reason and is now just like an open diff. I'll have to open it up and see what's going on.