Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

MT-5 gotta haves???

Old 07-03-2005, 11:05 AM
fourwheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT-5 gotta haves???

This week I will have my funds for the new MT and was just wondering about what I need to go with it. I know I will need a few things so I am asking the experts here what I would need on my shopping list. Part #'s would be very helpful. Please and thank you.

For instance, what about the gear cover? I know on the Team Losi LST I was just fine without the secondary gear cover. I ran a couple of gallons without it and never had a problem. After installing the second gear cover it ate the spurs rather quickly, It just helps to hold the rocks in the gears so they can do a lot of damage.

What part # are the upper rear ally arms?

What about the stock brakes? I see alot of discussion on this board about cable and hydro brakes. Is this a neccessaty? Or just a hop-up?

The lexan side plates look like something that would be easy to make myself so I will forgo buying those. As a matter of fact alot of the covers could be constructed either out of lexan or thin aluminum.

On a side note, I will be using my JR XS3 radio from the LST to guide the MT-5. Is anyone else using this radio? Any problems with it?

As always I appreciate any advice.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:17 AM
snooptalian
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: MT-5 gotta haves???

Forget about the Gear cover, it is a POS. I bought one and they don't even fit right. It rubs on the gears causing problems you never would have had in the first place. I ended up giving it away, a total waste of $20. Just do the alloy a-arms and the alloy a-arm extensions which will move the arms away from the gear. I don't know the part number but RCnuts and FGPerformance carry both the arms and extensions...Your radio is a good one IMO, just be sure to get a fail safe put in as soon as possible...
Old 07-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Doohan

Diff.....the standard diff is crap, it will die very quickly. I upgraded to the FG quad self locking diff with stainless steel casing.
Alloy gear carrier and steel pinion.....same reason as diff.
Forget the gear cover, it does jack poo.
Front brakes, I dont know how ppl drive without them, must have if you ask me. I use the FG tuning cable brakes with a 12kg servo, can lock both wheels. Thinking of going hydro all 4 wheels cos they look cool.
I have never used alloy rear arms or lexan side plates.
Get a good pipe if you havent already.
AIR FILTER....most important, I have 5 spare and change it every 1 hour run time, also have an outter pre filter.
The outter is dry and the inner is wet, look after your air filter more than anything or your engine will DIE !!!!
Old 07-03-2005, 11:46 AM
fourwheeler

ORIGINAL: snooptalian

Forget about the Gear cover, it is a POS. I bought one and they don't even fit right. It rubs on the gears causing problems you never would have had in the first place. I ended up giving it away, a total waste of $20. Just do the alloy a-arms and the alloy a-arm extensions which will move the arms away from the gear. I don't know the part number but RCnuts and FGPerformance carry both the arms and extensions...Your radio is a good one IMO, just be sure to get a fail safe put in as soon as possible...
I didn't realize I needed the extensions and the arms. Thanks for that info. That is also what I figured about the gear cover. Would it be possible to make a gear cover that did the job properly? Perhaps using a rubber boot around the gear shafts?

And Doohan, thanks for the tip on the outer air filter, is that an FG part? What about the cable front brakes. are they expensive?
Old 07-03-2005, 12:03 PM
deeppaul
My Feedback: (8)

fourwheeler, I did a search on the internet for an outerwear (prefilter) for gokarts. I got one for around $7 shipped. It was a little big but work good. I would also suggest getting the Jetpro pipe for more power and sounds awsome. I got the Elcon alloy uppers from rcnuts and and it has saved my gears. With stock uppers I would hit the gears when jumping.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:05 PM
Mad Wax

Are you sure you didn't buy the on-road gear cover snoop italian? It's slightly smaller. The gear protector for the off-road cars is 6423
Old 07-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Doohan

I puchased a roll of open cell foam (thickness was about 1cm) and glue and made my own outter filters, cost me $20
Made them the exact size I wanted....it overlaps both ends of the whole air filter assy. I can post pics if you want.
The cables were about $125 US for the front only, and I installed a 3rd servo just for the front brakes
Old 07-03-2005, 12:15 PM
deeppaul
My Feedback: (8)

Doohan, Could you post a picture of the filter? Do you run the outer filter dry?
Old 07-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Doohan

OK ill get a pic but it will have to be in the morning as its 3.15 AM here and im off to bed!!!
Yes I run the outer DRY and the standard FG inner filter WET
Old 07-03-2005, 12:41 PM
snooptalian

ORIGINAL: Mad Wax

Are you sure you didn't buy the on-road gear cover snoop italian? It's slightly smaller. The gear protector for the off-road cars is 6423
Yeah I double checked when I bought it and I definately got the off-road cover. I posted a thread after I got it and almost everyone said they had the same thing happen after installing the cover, gears rubbing, and so on...
Old 07-03-2005, 02:27 PM
fourwheeler

So fa the "gotta haves" are a prefilter, ally arms and extensions for the rear, a fail safe, and a new diff?
Old 07-03-2005, 02:40 PM
fourwheeler

Ok is this what I need?

[link=http://www.fortune3.com/comp72116/product.cgi?group=10605&product=10661]Rear A-arms[/link]

[link=http://www.fortune3.com/comp72116/product.cgi?group=11062&product=11895]Front Brakes[/link]

[link=http://www.fortune3.com/comp72116/product.cgi?group=11062&product=16079]Steel Gear set[/link]

I can't find the extensions, or a new diff on RCNUT's site. Anybody gotta link?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:13 PM
jimbo1890

The first thing I broke was a front upright so you might consider alloy uprights. They make it easier to fit the front brakes too
Old 07-03-2005, 05:16 PM
fourwheeler

ORIGINAL: jimbo1890

The first thing I broke was a front upright so you might consider alloy uprights. They make it easier to fit the front brakes too

Do you mean the front shock tower?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:26 PM
hellya

these are alloy uprights with brakes.....stock
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81123.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	293238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42133.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	293239  
Old 07-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Mad Wax

Must have's

Transmitter + batteries
Receiver
Battery pack
Throttle Servo
Steering Servo
Petrol/Oil mix.
Switch.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:33 PM
fourwheeler

Ah steering knuckles ok I can understand that better. Any need for them on all 4 corners?
ORIGINAL: hellya

these are alloy uprights with brakes.....stock
Old 07-03-2005, 05:37 PM
snooptalian

ORIGINAL: fourwheeler

Ok is this what I need?

[link=http://www.fortune3.com/comp72116/product.cgi?group=10605&product=10661]Rear A-arms[/link]

[link=http://www.fortune3.com/comp72116/product.cgi?group=11062&product=11895]Front Brakes[/link]

[link=http://www.fortune3.com/comp72116/product.cgi?group=11062&product=16079]Steel Gear set[/link]

Here is the link for the a-arms and a-arm extensions at fgperformance, scoll down the page about half way. They are Krikke brand parts, the same as Elcon. Part numbers KRP 174 for the arms and KRP 175 for the extensions...The alloy uprights would be a perfect upgrade as well...
Old 07-03-2005, 05:38 PM
snooptalian

ORIGINAL: fourwheeler

Ok is this what I need?

Here is the link for the a-arms and a-arm extensions at fgperformance:

http://www.fgperformancerc.com/store/page12.html

Scoll down the page about half way. They are Krikke brand parts, the same as Elcon. Part numbers KRP 174 for the arms and KRP 175 for the extensions...The alloy uprights would be a perfect upgrade as well...
Old 07-03-2005, 05:43 PM
snooptalian

Screwed that post up obviously...LOL...Anyway, the link for the extensions is in the post above this...
Old 07-03-2005, 05:45 PM
kirkieboy

Fourwheeler,

The first step IMO would be:

1) Bulletproof your drive train. Steel Spur and Pinion Gears, Diff Conversion #8484, and if you want some diff risers or Elcon/Krikke Alloy Diff Mounts (which are raised).

2) Bullet Proof your arms. Alloy Upper Rear arm, Alloy Front Arms, and what the hell, some Alloy Lower Rear Arms to match. The Alloy Uprights are an added bonus in strengthening your Monster.

3) Futaba 3PK with Failsafe (the absoulte best).

All other parts are just for looks or, if you're an alloy freak like me, to complete the package.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:46 PM
kirkieboy

Oh yeah, MMR makes a pretty good pre-filter bag if you drive in very dusty and debris laden areas.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Mad Wax

IMO use the plastic parts until they break/fail/tear. Perfectly good, why spend extra money and those bits will just be thrown aside? The plastic parts are pretty tough, and can be repaired with a bit of CA and CF rods. So they'll last a good while. Only time I've had plastic failures is when the car went into a curb, splitting A arms. Still usable until it fails, wheras alloy would bend/snap.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:01 PM
fourwheeler

No problem man...I did notice that the link is too FGPerformance and they are a little cheaper on the arms. Thanks alot. By the way...where are they located?? US I hope.

Screwed that post up obviously...LOL...Anyway, the link for the extensions is in the post above this...
Old 07-03-2005, 06:06 PM
kirkieboy

Well, my MT is pure alloy. I am not one of those guys that spend thousands on alloy to simply go and trash it. I am not bashing my MT at all. I just like looking at all that Alloy while I drive it with care.

If you plan to trash your MT then go with the cheap plastic parts, easier to replace. If you are going for looks/durability and you don't plan to drive like a mad man, go with the alloy.

Nevertheless, the Alloy upgrades I mentioned are absolutley necessary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.