Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

MT5 for sale. I'M SICK OF IT!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 06:48 PM
hpiguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT5 for sale. I'M SICK OF IT!

OK, got my MT5 not long ago.

I've run about 12 tanks through it. Never had any problems.

One time it started to act up and would not start. I fixed the problem and ran the truck through another tank. Now the truck will not start again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Won't even spin over! Sputter, nothing. I have been trying for a WEEK.

I have full spark, brand new spark plug (the NGK iridium one people on here recommended) and I didn't fiddle with the needles since the last time I ran it when it was fine.

The truck did not get in any tumbles, never ran without air filter, never ran it lean. It has the good compression as if it was new. The kill switch is not stuck. Engine is bone stock. No pipe, no aftermarket air filter. I pull the pull start and it just spins and spins the engine, no sputter. After six pulls I smell gas and the plug is soaked.

IT JUST WILL NOT FIRE AND IM SO ANGRY I COULD SPIT.

I got my Sportsline the same time as the MT5 and it's running fine on the same mixture as the MT5, so it's not the fuel. The Sportsline fires right up in three pulls and runs fine all day. It even has an older plug, the original Champion and it runs fine. I've run the Sportline much more than the MT5 and it's still going.

SO, unless there is a way to get this POS running I'm selling it.

I will NOT buy a new ignition coil, plug wire, carb, cylinder or sleeve. This engine should not have anything wrong with it. I run this truck very easily. No big jumps, no sand piles, just grass fields and it gets cleaned EVERY time.

I quit.

THIS IS AS FRUSTRATING AS THOSE DAMN NITROS, ONLY THIS COST ME 1,500 BUCKS! I GOT INTO GAS TO GET AWAY FROM THIS FRUSTRATING GARBAGE!

I've had 40 dollar lawnmowers run longer and better than this and I didn't baby those things either.

HELP! [:@]
Old 07-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Mad Wax

Default RE: MT5 for sale. I'M SICK OF IT!

Same here, second Marder troublesome and slow. Leopard DOA/faulty- six hours on trying to get that going, and I hope the replaced carb sorts it out. Alot of money in this, especially if you can't track down the problem.

Unlikely to sell it though with a faulty engine, can't get rid of my Marder. Considering the price of a new engine is 40-50% value of the car...and least a new one will have everything fitted. Going to cost me alot of money to get the Marder going, not just engine but engine mounts, gear/pinion assembly.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Bigboytoys
My Feedback: (5)

are you really putting it up for sale?
Old 07-05-2005, 07:38 PM
hpiguy

Wonder if the $179.99 23cc Firehammer engine would fit? Should be the exact same thing ...................???????????????????

Not worried about the small loss of power. I want it to run!

Wait a minute.... am I considering putting a NEW engine in a truck that should be running perfect still? I gotte be nuts.

I should have ordered a Firehammer. Cheaper and easy to get cheap parts........... I'll know next time.

I'll sell the truck for a steal to somebody and get the Firehammer for dirt running.

I'm getting this boat instead of the obscure company stuff I was looking at like Warehouse, or Bonzi, etc. More features, less money and a company I can get ahold of and will be in business next year.......:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXJSN7**&P=ML
Old 07-05-2005, 07:44 PM
hpiguy

ORIGINAL: Bigboytoys

are you really putting it up for sale?
I don't want to, but what else can I do?

I can't in good conscience plunk more cash into this money-pit of a truck.

I really hope I can get it started and running reliably, or yes I will sell it. Just so I don't have to look at the eyesore not running in my shop.

This is just rediculous. These engines should be running just fine for years.

I'm just so fed up. Sometimes I think I should have put that much money into my electrics. They always run.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:50 PM
05FGMT/FIREHAMMER

I HAVE A FIREHAMMER FOR SALE IF YOUR INTERESTED IT HAS HAD 1 GALLON OF GAS THROUGH IT AND I HAVE $75 WORTH OF EXTRA PARTS LET GO WITH IT PM ME IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT THANKS.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:01 PM
2pock
My Feedback: (4)

Hpiguy, I would be very interested in buying if ur willing to part with it. Email me a price, im also open for trades etc...
Old 07-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Pongo

For what it's worth, these engines are NEARLY bulletproof. Most of the time they will start on one or two pulls, regardless of what you do with them.

I have, however, encountered a problem similar to yours, and I know the level of frustration it can bring,... you've pulled until your shoulder hurts, and got nothin'
If I recall, the problem with mine was the ignition module, but I would not recommend just buying new parts until you hit on a solution. If there is anyone else running in your area, see if they can help at all, they may know some things, or have a spare carb/module,... you can try out.

A few other things to try:

1. Are you getting spark? pull out the plug and watch for spark when pulling.

2. Have you tried putting a bit of fuel directly in the engine? (Take off the plug, put a thimblefull of gas in, replace the plug and try to start it.) If this works, does it die as soon as that fuel is burned off? If it dies off then fuel is probably not flowing properly.

3. Fuel lines,... check to make sure fuel is flowing properly,... you may have to take apart the carb and make sure a piece of dirt isn't clogging the jet

That's all I can think of for now,... good luck, and post if you have tried all this.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:35 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand how you feel. I have had my MB for about five months and I have NEVER been able to drive it for more than about 20 minutes without breaking a part. No jumping, no crashing, just driving it hard, but something always gives out before I do. Right now it is sitting in the garage waiting for me to go baby it and try to figure out what is wrong this time.

However, I will say this...even though I believe that there are several design elements that I do not like and these FG cars/trucks should come with better standard parts, the motor has never given me even a moment of trouble. That is the only reason that I continue to put money into this car. I love the ease and reliability of the Zenoah 26cc motor. Maybe you just got a lemon. [] Some minor manufacturer's defect that finally buckled under the strain.

I wish you good luck.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:33 PM
skulldoctor

im surprised nobody asked, is it a zenoah or cy engine????
Old 07-05-2005, 10:38 PM
hpiguy

Zenoah engine.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:46 PM
hpiguy

Pongo:
Question #1 : Am I getting spark..........

ORIGINAL: hpiguy

I have full spark, brand new spark plug (the NGK iridium one people on here recommended) and I didn't fiddle with the needles since the last time I ran it when it was fine.

Question #2 Am I getting fuel:

Have not checked the fuel lines and I have not dropped any fuel in the engine yet to see if it will run. I'll try that next.

I'm guessing that it IS getting fuel. If it wasn't the spark plug would not be soaking wet when I pulled the pull start. And every time I pull the plug, it's wet. Wet enough in fact to have a spray come off it when I hit it with the air compressor.

I'm trying to get it started for this week again and then that's it.

I'll sell it to a local kid if he wants it and let him jack with it.

I've gotten some offers from guys on here................. but come on. The best was 300 bucks SHIPPED so far. Get real, buncha vultures. I can afford to let it rot for that price.

Not everybody is bad but the guys I got those insulting offers from were not regular posters, just people looking to get lucky.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:06 PM
showa

Pull the starter cover and see if the ign pick-up has slipped and contacted the flywheel...
Old 07-05-2005, 11:31 PM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

Have many of you had major problems like this before?
Old 07-05-2005, 11:44 PM
MnMikeRC

I had a problem like that once, and I took the carb apart and that wasent it, so I thought "what the heck" and took the motor apart to look at the piston and realized that a piece of sand must have gotten in there and scored the side of the piston. I learned that it really pays to make good and sure that no dirt gets into that carb.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:52 PM
a_vdk

I have motor problems all the time. I use quality fuel and get spark. I am on my third motor. I drive insane so that may be part of the problem.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:55 AM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

One time it started to act up and would not start. I fixed the problem and ran the truck through another tank. Now the truck will not start again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The truck did not get in any tumbles, never ran without air filter, never ran it lean. It has the good compression as if it was new. The kill switch is not stuck. Engine is bone stock. No pipe, no aftermarket air filter. I pull the pull start and it just spins and spins the engine, no sputter. After six pulls I smell gas and the plug is soaked.

I got my Sportsline the same time as the MT5 and it's running fine on the same mixture as the MT5, so it's not the fuel. The Sportsline fires right up in three pulls and runs fine all day. It even has an older plug, the original Champion and it runs fine. I've run the Sportline much more than the MT5 and it's still going.

I will NOT buy a new ignition coil, plug wire, carb, cylinder or sleeve. This engine should not have anything wrong with it. I run this truck very easily. No big jumps, no sand piles, just grass fields and it gets cleaned EVERY time.

I quit.

THIS IS AS FRUSTRATING AS THOSE DAMN NITROS, ONLY THIS COST ME 1,500 BUCKS! I GOT INTO GAS TO GET AWAY FROM THIS FRUSTRATING GARBAGE!

I've had 40 dollar lawnmowers run longer and better than this and I didn't baby those things either.

Did you run it in dirt and it was really dusty? I poofed my XTM in about 15 minutes in dirt cause the air cleaners suck and let everything in...Only aftermarket air cleaner I found to stop the dirt is the FG 6464 or Firehammer one...I've tried about 7 different ones even with outerwears on and they didn't help....Cause if you got fuel,spark and air...it should run...all else it can be is compression problem from dirt getting in cylinder and scratch it beyond repair...you can buy new top ends for $50 which are big bores...heck new 23cc engines are only $130 from daves discount motors or oneill brothers...both are awesome places.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:17 AM
jimbo1890

Im sorry if I sound condesending but did you change your plug before or after you started having problems?

I just solved the problem I was having with mine. Here is my situation.

I normally have no probs. A couple of pulls and away she would go and then ran great all day.

Ok, last weekend started her up after about 6/7 pulls a bit odd but forgot about it went to take off and stalled ??? 1 pull she started but I had some major hesitation for the first minute or two untill she warmed up. I had about 5 minutes running untill the phone rang and I had to pack it up for the day.

Yesterday she would not start, arm falling off, you know the drill so I pulled out the plug and cleaned and dried it, put it back in and she started second pull, YOU BEAUTY, away I went, gave her some gas and she tried to stall again so I putted her around for a couple of minutes untill she warmed up, she then ran perfect for the next 10 minutes untill another stall. Fifteen or so pulls later no luck so out comes the plug for a clean and dry, stuck it back in and away she went untill five minutes later stall and pull, pull, pull, BUGGER THIS, threw it in the back of the ute and went home.

This afternoon I decided to have a good look at it. The only way it would run is if the plug was dry so I pulled the plug out of my 4stroke honda brushcutter stuck her in and away she went, back to normal.

What I am trying to say is just because you can see the plug sparking it does not mean the plug is OK

I'm not saying this is your problem but it is something to consider.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:35 AM
BILKO1

I had similar problems a few months back check this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26...tm.htm#2656239
Old 07-06-2005, 03:36 AM
dazzahughesuk

YHPM mate...
Darren

I quit.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:32 AM
deeppaul
My Feedback: (8)

These tips may have been posted but this is what I would check.
1) clean air filter just to be on the safe side, check magneto gap
2) reset the mixture screws back to factory settigs
3) sell it to me for $301 shipped with radio gear and fuel, that should be the highest offer yet, and I will resell it for $600 to someone else.
4) ignore number three total joke. I got a good laugh after reading your post about the offers you have gotten.
5) check magneto gap
6) DON'T SELL. These trucks are awsome. Once you get it running and after 5 min of bashing you will forget about the problems you had with it.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:29 AM
No Moa

Is it a CY or a Zen?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:42 AM
strong_material

here's a few thing you can do.

1. take the plug off, clean it and dry it. (use air compressor to dry it)
2. turn the truck over with the plug hole facing down and pull the pullstart a couple of times to ensure that all extra fuel is gone from the cylinder.
3. let it sit for a couple of minutes (about 30 mins.)
4. put plug back in but do not tighten it with the wrench. just hand-tighten it. then untighten it about 1 full turn out.
5. do not prime it and make sure that the carb is not choked. reset needles to L 1-1/4 H 1-1/4
6. pull the starter. if the engine is still flooded, there should be fuel coming out of the sides of the plug. if this is the case take the plug off and do the sequence over again until nothing comes out of the sides of the plug.
7. if there is nothing coming out of the sides of the plug, tighten the plug and the engine should start.
8. if it doesn't start, try holding the throttle at full and have somebody hold the truck for you so it does not run away from you when it starts.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:08 AM
hpiguy

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'll try all of them and report back.

Any exploded views of the engine on the net I can use?
Old 07-06-2005, 01:47 PM
xxxboatworks

I would not sell it if i were you. I'd try to trouble shoot the problem. But if decide you want to get rid of it and want to trade it for something, I have a brand new never run firehammer I could trade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.