Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Homemade Truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 12:20 AM
chrisbcrunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade Truck

Hi I am looking to build my own 1/6 or 1/8 truck with a weedeater engine but I dont know a good site that would sell a chassis that is for that anyone have any sites where can buy stuff to make homemade trucks like this? In US also.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:02 AM
Pigsmightfly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Homemade Truck

Buy a sheet of alloy and make one, it's not hard :-)
Old 07-09-2005, 05:44 PM
Anomie

I don't know if I would call it easy, but if you have the time it can be quite rewarding to build from scratch. I have been working on one for some time now and it's starting to look like something finally. I have access to some machinery at work in my off time, so that is my biggest help. I started this because I was always dissatisfied with plastic kits and little or no flexibility to make big changes. The pictures show the chassis sitting up on a jack because there are no springs yet. It is 1/6 scale, with a 19" wheelbase.

If you want to do it yourself, I can tell you it's awesome. You can pretty much design it however you want, and The only limit is your imagination. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71238.gif
Views:	5034
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	295336  
Old 07-09-2005, 07:13 PM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

Good Start.
MY 1/5 MT has a 22" wheel base 32" wide and 45" long 22" tall with 12"x8" tires.
2 Skellenger quick change rear ends
3 hp motor with a reversing transmission
4 wheel drive with 4 wheel steering
All Aluminum chassis

Name:	Us52710.jpg
Views:	2822
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	295359  
Old 07-09-2005, 08:02 PM
snooptalian
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Superheat

I don't know if I would call it easy, but if you have the time it can be quite rewarding to build from scratch. I have been working on one for some time now and it's starting to look like something finally. I have access to some machinery at work in my off time, so that is my biggest help. I started this because I was always dissatisfied with plastic kits and little or no flexibility to make big changes. The pictures show the chassis sitting up on a jack because there are no springs yet. It is 1/6 scale, with a 19" wheelbase.

If you want to do it yourself, I can tell you it's awesome. You can pretty much design it however you want, and The only limit is your imagination. Good luck!
That's an awesome looking chassis you have going there. Looks like an aftermarket Clodbuster on steroids. Keep the pics comin...
Old 07-09-2005, 08:21 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mbbaj2001,
Do you happen to have any video of your scratch-built trucks? I would love to see one perform.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Anomie

Yes, it is modeled after the Clodbuster (Clodzilla 4 chassis, actually). I wanted to make something longer and more stable, as well as all aluminum. It's been taking forever, but the reward will be seeing it in action!
Old 07-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Anomie

mbbaj2001

Good Start.
MY 1/5 MT has a 22" wheel base 32" wide and 45" long 22" tall with 12"x8" tires.
2 Skellenger quick change rear ends
3 hp motor with a reversing transmission
4 wheel drive with 4 wheel steering
All Aluminum chassis
That's a nice family picture you have there! Did you weld the tube chassis? I had considered that, but then decided on a dual-frame-rail setup to match the Clodzilla.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:37 PM
dynamite26

What size is your weedwacker engine as i am get a 34cc weedwacker engine tomorrow for £46.61 which is on sale to power my LMP car does anyone know what Hp it should produce.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:51 PM
mbba2002
Banned

Yes I welded the tube chassis. This was my first attempt at welding a tube frame. More work (over 50 hrs to make) than I thought but proper planning made it easier. I still prefer the box frame construction with aluminum (30 hrs manual machine with CNC alot faster). The only problem I see with your truck is do you have enough room for the motor and electrics. The weed wacker engines are big and the truck is bigger than a clod so I hop you put larger bearings in the axle tubes. I had problems with the bearing blowing out. Don't use the miniature size bearings found in most 1/10 or 1/8 scale cars.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Anomie

It's going to run on 2 HV-MAXX Novak brushless motor systems; 1 for each axle. The stock Clod had a motor on each gearbox, but I wanted to keep the axles free of any clustered parts so they will sit up inside the cab of the body and will be connected to each diff by way of driveshafts which can extend/retract as the suspension moves. The motors will be above the top of the chassis as you see it in the picture, so there is plenty of room.

The axle tubes have 6x12mm bearings and Ofna 1/8 scale steel differentials inside. I don't believe the truck will be terribly fast, as I'm gearing it to crawl.

I have no access to CNC equipment, so everything has been manually machined so far. Nice job on your frame...I've always liked the welded-tube concept.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:07 AM
mbba2002
Banned

Should have used b a GAS engine. I have moved away from charging electric powered vehicles. Electric will never preform like gas.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:49 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Superheat

That is a really nice setup. Are those axles total custom made? Where type of gears did you use in it. Ever think of making a few sets of those to sell?
I've been thinking for a long time about building a large scale clodbuster style monster truck. Problem is that i dont have access to a machine shop so making axles is where i get stuck.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: mbbaj2001

Should have used b a GAS engine. I have moved away from charging electric powered vehicles. Electric will never preform like gas.
Yes, gas is much more powerful and there are more options, but this truck doesn't need that kind of torque, and most of the places It'll be running will be fairly quiet. I have put so much effort into the machine work, I don't see my self beating it up anyway.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: drevil

That is a really nice setup. Are those axles total custom made? Where type of gears did you use in it. Ever think of making a few sets of those to sell?
I've been thinking for a long time about building a large scale clodbuster style monster truck. Problem is that i dont have access to a machine shop so making axles is where i get stuck.
Thanks for the compliment! Yes, the axles and diff housings are completely designed and built by me. Inside are Ofna 1/8 scale steel differentials. I can tell you after fabricating these it is unlikely I'll do it again. Very rewarding, yes, but a lot of time and headache. I like the fact that the Clod is so simple and flexible that it's easy do customize and go crazy with.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:12 AM
mbba2002
Banned

My skellenger copy rear end with axle tubes are more complicated than your custom axles.

Name:	Ki19366.jpg
Views:	1350
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	296528  
Old 07-13-2005, 08:23 AM
Anomie

WOW, cool! Did you make those yourself? CNC?
Old 07-13-2005, 09:41 AM
mbba2002
Banned

Yes, I have designed a lot of part for my trucks and made all my own parts for them and have my own machines to do it. All parts are done manually but I can make them CNC later.