Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Engine replacement parts - in the long run?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Engine replacement parts - in the long run?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 12:16 AM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine replacement parts - in the long run?

Most of us know that after owning a brand new engine for some time, you will need to change the ring after every 10-20 hours or until the compression start to go.

In the nitro scene, after every 1-2 piston/sleeve change, the conrod have to be changed as well. Does this apply to our 2-stroke engines?

What really happens after you've changed, say your 3rd and 4th piston ring? Surely, at least, the roller bearings holding the piston to the conrod and the same one holding the conrod to the crank would need to be replaced?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:51 AM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Engine replacement parts - in the long run?

I don't change my ring ever 10-20 hours that'd be kinda senseless I'd think...thats really only about 10-20 tanks of fuel....would mean a ring change faster than you would do a sleeve/piston in a nitro....even those last more than 20 tanks...usually about 5+ gallons if tuned right. But as far as the bearings go i'd change the connecting rod ebaring while I was in there and the crank bearings if I had alot of crap down in my case otherwise I'd let them slide long as it all felt right.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:57 AM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the ring goes and you lose compression (in five or six years), buy a new, better engine. Surely technology will have advanced to a point at which we can fit a 50cc motor in the same space as a 29cc, right?!!
Old 07-12-2005, 01:45 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

I've gone through much more than 20 hours on my motor and i have yet to see any performance loss. Actually it seems to have actually gotten faster. (because of the motor loosening up)
Old 07-12-2005, 04:19 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: icecreamslick

When the ring goes and you lose compression (in five or six years), buy a new, better engine. Surely technology will have advanced to a point at which we can fit a 50cc motor in the same space as a 29cc, right?!!

WOW 50cc and wheelies