Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Help with front Hydro brake set-up!

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Help with front Hydro brake set-up!

Old 07-14-2005, 02:09 PM
RC_Feen
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with front Hydro brake set-up!

I received a set of FG hop-ups front hydro brakes the other day. I'm having a few problems figuring out how I'm going to hook-up the servo linkage to the master cylinder. With the current way I have the linkage connected to the TH/Brake servo its a straight shot to the throttle and the brake. With the stand-off for the master cylinder installed their is no way to install the master cylinder. I will have to switch the TH/BR connection on the servo which will criss cross the two linkages. Does anyone have a detail picture of the FG Hop-ups hydro brakes installed on a Marder Race with the standard radio tray? Thanks.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:13 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Help with front Hydro brake set-up!

Send me an email and I will send you pics of my KP mark 3 set-up very similar to the fghu model. [email protected]
Old 07-14-2005, 03:21 PM
hellya

I told you 3-4 days for the photos cause I was moving, they are on my home computer....I will post some soon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86930.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	297235  
Old 07-14-2005, 06:53 PM
RC_Feen

hellya....I know your moving and you said that you'll send me the pic's. Don't worry I got it figured out. I just want to see some other peoples setups of the brakes just to verify. It's all good!
Old 07-14-2005, 07:25 PM
marder22

Here is my set-up. It is a marder race. I drilled a hole for the master and beveled the underside of the chassis for a flush factory fit.

Name:	Ec88608.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	297279  
Old 07-14-2005, 07:52 PM
hpiguy

Hellya,

I've seen the pics you have posted of the brakes..... but do you have a pic of two of the master cylinder mounted in an MT? Can you post them here or on the website? Or do the brakes come with FULL instructions for the $200 bucks?

Not the front shot of the installed brakes, that doesn't show the MC.

A shot from the side of the radio tray with the MC mounted and set up. I want to know if I can run the rear brake, throttle AND the front brakes off the same servo like on my Sportsline.

If not that's OK, I'll run front brakes only, but I'd like some good install pics before I buy.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-14-2005, 09:13 PM
hellya

As soon as I get my internet hooked up at my new house I will post some pictures showing the stock servo set up for a MT.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:18 PM
marder22

If you plan on trying to run all of the brakes from one servo, you are going to need an extremely strong servo. I have a 111oz right now just on the front and they do not lock up. I have a 282oz regular size digital servo from jr coming now for the front. I think this should do. I will let you know as soon as a get the servo.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:53 PM
chowderhead72

ORIGINAL: marder22

If you plan on trying to run all of the brakes from one servo, you are going to need an extremely strong servo. I have a 111oz right now just on the front and they do not lock up. I have a 282oz regular size digital servo from jr coming now for the front. I think this should do. I will let you know as soon as a get the servo.
What brakes are you running? I have the kp mk3 running off of a futaba s9350 with 138oz and lock-up is noooo problem!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:23 PM
marder22

fg-hopups...picture is above
Old 07-15-2005, 08:58 AM
RC_Feen

Well after several hours last night still don't have the front hydro's hooked up. In order to hook them up correctly I'll need another servo and mount the master cylinder on the receiver side. It will pretty much look like marder22's picture but I'll mount the receiver box on top of the steering servo.

Name:	Yw67337.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	297427  
Old 07-15-2005, 11:52 AM
hellya

Dont bend the MC's plunge rod like marder22 did, he gave it a 90* angle, get the same connecting hardware as your throttle this may explain his not getting the brakes to lock up you need to use proper hardware when attaching to your servo.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:46 PM
RC_Feen

hellya...the setup I pictured will be used with the push rod for the MC with no bends. I plan on using the same hardware as used with the throttle/rear brake setup. Using my current radio tray and 1 additional servo and relocation of the receiver box will complete the front hydro setup. I'm using the hole that is already drilled just infront of the rollbar for the MC mounting post. I'll add pic's once everything is completed. Checking LHS for Hitec HS-645MG servo for MC tomorrow. Will that servo be enough for the hydro's?
Old 07-15-2005, 05:32 PM
marder22

There is no reason why the bend that i used would effect hydro lock up. It is the same thing. It does not move or anything. Very precise. It is veryyyy difficult to bend anyway though....so i would not recommend it either. I just did not have naything else to hook it up with. What weird though hellya is that even when i take the MC and puch it in as hard as i can the disk still will not lock up. The wheel barely moves but it still can with much resistance. Any info on this problem?
Old 07-15-2005, 08:22 PM
RC_Feen

Marder22... I noticed last night that even when I pressed the MS push rod on the desk and tried to move the front axle, I could. Now I don't know if that was because I noticed that there are air bubbles in the line or what. That was just my oberservation.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:58 PM
RC_Feen

hellya or anyone using FG hop-ups front hydro's.....What servo are you using for the master cylinder? I'm planning on going with the Hitec HS-645MG servo but don't know if I need something with more torque?
Old 07-17-2005, 09:47 PM
kirkieboy

I am currently using front and rear hydros. I use a Hitec 5945 for the Throttle/Rear Hydro Brake and a Hitec 5645 for the Front Hydros.

Hydros require significantly less torque because the force does not come from tension like the Cable Brakes. I have known people who ran Hydros with servos with less than 60 oz. of torque.

If I were you i would go with the 5645 for your hydros. You can get past with the 645's but I believe in overkill, so go with the 5645.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:05 PM
RC_Feen

kirkieboy....The Hitec 5645 is a digital servo that has more torque than the 645, which would make the 5645 overkill. When I looked at the specs between the two the 5645=Torque: 164.2 oz/in at 6V and the 645=Torque:133.31 oz/in at 6.0V (9.6kg/cm). You are also looking at about a 17$ price difference.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:56 AM
kirkieboy

Yes, that is what I said if you checked again. The 5645 would be overkill and that is what I would go with personally. As for the differences between the 5645 and the 645, looks can be deceiving.

Although both have metal gears and dual ball bearings, there is more that you get with that extra $17. For instance, the 5645 is digital (which would go well with the HRS radios), it has more torque, its faster, its dustproof and watertight, the 645 is not.

The 5645 has an aluminum horn as well as a different set of servo accessories. I personally use nothing below the 5645 although others may find the 645 adequate.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:14 AM
RC_Feen

kirkieboy.....good point! So the 5645 servo would work well with my Futaba 3PM FM 3-Channel Surface Computerized Pistol radio? Now here's another question for ya! I'm using the Hitec HS-5745MG Giant Scale 3BB servo for steering and the HS-645MG for throttle/rear brake. When switching into HRS mode for the 5645 how will that affect the other two servos I'm currently usig if there is any effect at all? Thanks for the info.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:25 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: marder22

There is no reason why the bend that i used would effect hydro lock up. It is the same thing. It does not move or anything. Very precise. It is veryyyy difficult to bend anyway though....so i would not recommend it either. I just did not have naything else to hook it up with. What weird though hellya is that even when i take the MC and puch it in as hard as i can the disk still will not lock up. The wheel barely moves but it still can with much resistance. Any info on this problem?

It will effect the point at which the servo pulls on the MCs plunger, you cant adjust the travel, if you push the MCs plunger in 1/4-1/2 inch then hook up your servo at that point of the MCs rod, they hydros will lock up. you have to fine tune your break 1 time
Old 07-18-2005, 02:07 PM
marder22

I can do that with my subtrim on my radio. It still does not lock the disks up. I will let you know how it works with a stronger servo. I also have an aluminum radio plate coming.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:19 PM
RC_Feen

marder22....what will the aluminum radio plate do for ya? And also were are you getting it from? Thanks!
Old 07-18-2005, 09:36 PM
chowderhead72

Aluminum radio plate=less flex
Less flex+stronger brakes, crisper throttle and steering +bling
Old 07-18-2005, 09:57 PM
RC_Feen

chowderhead72....Less flex is what I need. When I go and apply the brakes with the stock radio plate and HS-645MG servo the radio plate flexes like you wouldn't believe. Do you have any links where I can get a aluminum radio plate? BTW thanks for the info you sent me the other night on your hydro setup. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.