Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Steel Gear Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 10:26 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel Gear Help

Has anyone ever added steel gears to a XTM 1/6th scale or Duratrax Firehammer? If so what gears did you use..pinion and spur and did it cause other things to break like clutch bells....I've read clutch bells take a beating once you goto steel gearing. Also where in the states can I get the gears if FG's or something work on it.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:57 PM
05FGMT/FIREHAMMER

Default RE: Steel Gear Help

heres the steel pinion gear you use it is the 3rd pic down
http://www.rc-car-online.de/shopen/e...rspinions.html
heres the steel spur you use it is the oem diff gear
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHTW4&P=7
dont know about clutch bell problems yet, but would say if you if jump and land at WOT alot something is going to give somewhere sooner or later.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:14 PM
badz

How would you mount a differential gear in for your spur gear though?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:35 PM
05FGMT/FIREHAMMER

with this alloy spur gear carrier. 27 pic down
http://www.rc-car-online.de/htstarteng.htm
Old 07-17-2005, 11:40 PM
badz

ahhh okie..sweet thanks...I'll be ordering soe up but hopefully off a fg dealer here in the states if they got em
Old 07-17-2005, 11:42 PM
05FGMT/FIREHAMMER

i got mine from http://fgperformancerc.com/
Old 07-18-2005, 03:24 AM
badz

So this

Steel Gear Conversion Kit
$77.95
FGP1000
Fits all FG 1/6 scale off roaders. This steel gear conversion includes: - CNR 6050ST Gear Adapter Plate - 6431 Steel Gearwheel 16 teeth, 1pce (pinion gear) - 6448 Steel Gearwheel 48 teeth big, 1pce (48 teeth spurgear, diff gear fitted as spurgear)

From FGPerformance will work? I've read someplace that xtm/firehammer have different lay shafts and fg gears dont fit...they look the same in pics however. I just want to be sure this will all fit up before ordering it...I hate paying for cnc items when I work around cnc's all day but can't make nothing for myself...damn gov't job
Old 07-18-2005, 06:31 AM
rainman777

Should these gears be lubricated? I see so many stories of melted and stripped gears and was wondering if a little lubrication would ease troubles. I know a wet lube would be flung off but surely a dry wax lube (such as I'd use on my racing bicycle chain) would be beneficial: reduces friction, doesn't attract crud and won't get flung off while spinning at zillions of rpm.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:34 PM
badz

ORIGINAL: rainman777

Should these gears be lubricated? I see so many stories of melted and stripped gears and was wondering if a little lubrication would ease troubles. I know a wet lube would be flung off but surely a dry wax lube (such as I'd use on my racing bicycle chain) would be beneficial: reduces friction, doesn't attract crud and won't get flung off while spinning at zillions of rpm.

I've read about them meltng however I've never melted any mine just strip all the teeth right off. I'm not doing jumps at all...just flat track racing around in soft to medium packed dirt. I'm not sure a lube would work since the gears are exposed somewhat, the cover isn't sealed tight and the dirt would stick and possibly cause more problems. Maybe with a sealed case it'd be alright...it sure wouldn't hurt anything, unless it worked it's way to the clutch shoe's
Old 07-18-2005, 05:53 PM
badz

ORIGINAL: 05FGMT/FIREHAMMER

i got mine from http://fgperformancerc.com/

Are you using a 16T pinion and 48t spur? I emailed fg performance and they say the parts won't fit xtm or firehammers

Steel Gear Conversion Kit
$77.95
FGP1000
Fits all FG 1/6 scale off roaders. This steel gear conversion includes: - CNR 6050ST Gear Adapter Plate - 6431 Steel Gearwheel 16 teeth, 1pce (pinion gear) - 6448 Steel Gearwheel 48 teeth big, 1pce (48 teeth spurgear, diff gear fitted as spurgear)

that above won't work they said without some kinda conversion cause the distance between the gears is different?
Old 07-18-2005, 06:21 PM
JRexA

BEWARE: The FG Off road cars and the clones (XTM/FireHammer/Carson Attack) does NOT use the same size pinion and gearwheel!

You need special pinion gears for the Clones. As far as I know, Hobbythek is the only one that makes those in steel.

Hobbythek: http://www.rc-car-online.de
Old 07-18-2005, 11:56 PM
badz

ORIGINAL: JRexA

BEWARE: The FG Off road cars and the clones (XTM/FireHammer/Carson Attack) does NOT use the same size pinion and gearwheel!

You need special pinion gears for the Clones. As far as I know, Hobbythek is the only one that makes those in steel.

Yes the included pinion with the steel set is a 16T the stock XTM is 19T. The diameter of the rear differential gear is the same so I'd imagine the adapter plate for those will work just not the pinion gear, I'm assuming anyhow I'd need a 19T steel pinion. Kinda all confusing but I'm pretty sure I need what I take off...my lay shaft output gear is a 16T I guess I could try and see if it's mesh properly with my 48T spur since the lay shaft gear is exactly the same as the pinion except it's steel and smaller amount of teeth? Not sure about it all but I'm sick of changing plastic gears.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:03 PM
badz

ORIGINAL: JRexA

K here's what i've found out so far...zenoah 23cc and 26cc engines are exactly the same blocks...so this means same size....the clutch bell shafts on fg's and xtm/firehammers are same size also so the pinion gears will fit the shafts....so next problem is the mesh...if they don't mesh on xtm/firehammer then something else is different...lets see 48t spur...same gear as fg also same exact size....so if the pinion is away from the spur what controls this distance is the motor mount...since the layshafts position is determined by it and it alone with the motor mounting holes...so I'm guessing the fg motor mount is different than the xtm/firehammer it's why the fg steel pinion at 16t won't mesh right....I can't find a decent pic of a fg mount tho [:@]
Old 07-19-2005, 08:36 PM
ammdrew

the spur and adapter will work on the xtm, you must go to rc-car-online for the pinion gear, as they are the manufacturer and dealer for that product, the gear splay( or distance) between the pinion and spur is different in the carson/xtm/smartech/firehammer vehicles .