Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Gotta strange question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 10:42 PM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta strange question?

I gotta question that might sound kinda weird but I was just wondering about. Why do you guys choose large scale cars and trucks over say a go-kart, dirt bike or four wheeler? I've been doing some pricing and I could get a go-kart , nice used dirt bike, or even a nice used four wheeler for the same price. I've even seen some smaller dirt bikes and four wheelers that only cost like $1,000 new. I'm not trying to put down the large scales in anyway because I really like them myself, I was just wondering?
Old 07-24-2005, 10:49 PM
NitroWolf

Default RE: Gotta strange question?

ctwitty,

I think most of us just love the hobby. Whether it be racing them or playing on a parking lot.

A big plus...you don't get injured in a crash

Old 07-24-2005, 11:22 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

Well i have a sportbike, and atv already. I've been into r/c's for over 12 years, and for as long as i have been into this stuff i've always wanted a large scale car...so i got one.
BTW I've thought about getting a go kart but the fact is that go karts that cost anywhere near the price of a large scale r/c is nothing more than a yard kart. I've priced racing karts because i've wanted to get into that for a long time now and the money you need to invest in something like that is really up there. With that sort of thing you can't just look at the inital price of the kart, you also need to look into everything you need to keep it running, not to mention a truck to get it to the track.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:31 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm, that is an interesting question. I guess it is because I like to live vicariously through safer toys...that and I was deprived of RC cars as a child and now I am making up for it in a BIG way.

Wow, I was deprived of RC stuff and now I am depraved for RC stuff. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 07-24-2005, 11:34 PM
jimbo1890

I sold my KDX250 and bought a marder.

Reason: You can't kill yourself with a rc. I run my own contracting business so if I don't work I don't eat
Old 07-24-2005, 11:36 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Hmmmm it'd be interesting though to make a full sized 4 wheeler rc'd not to mention a load of fun. For me I own a few dirt bikes...they are fun but rc's are more enjoyable hobby, sometimes more expensive yes but still loads of fun.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:47 PM
showa

I have raced cars (dwarf cars) and r/c cars off& on for a lotta years....
The operating costs of the R/c cars is less, they fit in the truck easier, they fit on the shelf when not able to race and my family rests easier about possible injuries taking money away...
Most of the people I have met in r/c and dwarfs are friendly....so thats a wash....
They are both fun and require some skill to be competative..... another wash....
r/c is MUCH cheaper to run & repair after clobbering someone and flipping over the wall....
blow a motor and r/c is about 1/10 the cost....
Oh yeah, I still bash in the desert and woods in a Yamaha Rhino....
Old 07-24-2005, 11:52 PM
MountainMotor

You guys are right about the injury aspect though! I was just wondering, I thought that both of them look fun and both have their up's and down's, I was just looking at what has more positives than negatives to me. I guess it's a personal question with everybody having something different that they like, I was just wondering what you guys thought. It looks like most of you either own a dirt bike or four wheeler already so that's what else I was wondering. If you guys had a decision about either atv's or large scale to play around with which would you choose? Just an all-round aspect.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:05 AM
showa

In the past I have sold the Q scale cars first....But I see myself being able to be competitive for more years in R/C...(theres that competitive streak rearing its head again).... I've been gone from Q scale racing for a long time but I'm weighing the possibility of getting back again....Or building something kewl....In Q scale...
Old 07-25-2005, 12:39 AM
skulldoctor

ORIGINAL: icecreamslick

that and I was deprived of RC cars as a child and now I am making up for it in a BIG way.
yeah,tell me about it. the only rc cars i had when i was young were the ones w/a damn 5 foot cord connected from the radio to the car. they werent fun at all,so now im making up for it also.
p.s. im to old & fat for a go cart now anyway and the 4wheeler {atv} i want is around $8000
Old 07-25-2005, 06:34 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

My brother has a dirtbike and snowmobile and since he's been blessed with a daughter has no time and wants to sell them. With a RC there's no reason since you can take them out anywhere and anytime. My little girl loves to watch my FG and RC18T's. She's only 3 but I'm slowly teacher her how to drive them (RC18T's). The big toys take up more room to enjoy as well as space in the garage. We have 24 acres and it takes an hour to drive out. So you spen 2 hours just in travel time. I'm in a new subdivision and there's no shortage of dirt for my FG there!! But if I drove a dirtbike there I'm sure I'd get in crap. All types of toys cost money but these are safer and you get more of a crowd watching them. Cops would pull over just to see them and ask about them!!

Old 07-25-2005, 07:15 AM
original.mb

the bigger the better i have always been a fan of mt's from bigfoot and to own a largescale mt is awesome, can't afford the full size mt's so fg's will do nicely
Old 07-25-2005, 10:31 AM
ibstar

if i had the room for a dirtbike it would be here.
BUT i'd need a trailer to get it to were i want to play, a tow bar fitted to the car ( a nice black coupe would look VERY VERY NAFF)
and the police round here are a nightmare, i used to get constantaly nicked for riding off road before, you get a nice £100 fine and 3 points on your licence (if they can catch you lol)
a very nice idea but here unless you got private ground not worth the hassle
Old 07-25-2005, 10:55 AM
snooptalian

I've had an ATV before, will get another someday, right now I have a couple go karts, one a racing Kart that is a helluva lot of fun when I get the time to play with it. Problem is it is so fast it is hard to find a place to really open it up. It has a 300cc modified water cooled 4 stroke engine on it right now that will do in excess of 100 MPH, and the tracks around here just can't handle it, so that's where the MB will come in and take up the time I don't use on the Kart, and goofing around with my kids...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78521.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	301223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76060.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	301224  
Old 07-25-2005, 11:22 AM
icecreamslick

Now that is cool, snoop! [X(] I am so jealous!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:43 AM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am into 1/4 scale because I have 20+ cars and I still have a bunch of room in the garage! I can work on them or whatever and I have a little bit of every style. With full size goodies you can only really have one or two in the garage and they take up waaay too much space.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Pigsmightfly

Have owned and fallen off a few bikes over the years resulting in a pinned right leg after it got crushed under a van, an ankle with only around 70% of full movement after it got trapped between the bike and a pick-up truck and two toes which dislocate whenever they feel like it.

I think when most people reach 30/have kids (whichever comes first) the self preservation chip embedded in their brain activates.

Now get my kicks from mountain biking and RC but have just bought a CR250 for work purposes.........
Old 07-25-2005, 01:53 PM
MountainMotor

Cool, thanks guys for all the input. I'm getting some useful info here. Anymore info would still be much appreciated. I have some ground to ride on but I can't afford to get hurt right now, that's why if I bought anything full size it would probably be a go-kart just because they flip less and are a littie safer but I still really want an FG. Nice cart snooptalian, my cousins' got one just like it that he races, I'm not for sure the exact specs on it but it'll fly.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Anomie

Well, I've not had an ATV, but I did have a bike for a while, and now a 1972 Blazer convertible is the off-road fun. I think the 1/5 to 1/6 scale is about the largest I'll go for the time being, and I guess it just made sense to go larger and larger from the 1/12 stuff. More power, more detail, you know? I would love to build a 1/4 scale dragster, but that's a lot of cash, and most of my non-RC money goes into the Blazer. Now, I would love to have a snowmobile....hehe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39004.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	301291  
Old 07-25-2005, 04:49 PM
hpiguy

1. I can run in parks and school parking lots with no hassle.

Take a go-kart or mini bike into those and people get annoyed and call the cops. Take an R/C and you have an audience.

2. I run in soccer fields.

R/C doesn't do nearly the damage and nobody cares. Take a ride-on, here come the cops again.

3. R/Cs are legal.

In my town, go-karts and bikes even scooters are all illegal to have on public streets or on any public property. $200 ticket.

4. My R/Cs are year round toys.

Go-karts suck in snow () and on a bike you freeze the butt off and crash a a lot on the slippery stuff. ATVs are OK, but I see a LOT of them stuck out on the lakes too in deep snow. My R/Cs sit on the thin ice shelf and are fun to drift.

5. R/C is cheaper for me.

A used ATV in my town that is reliable will cost $2,000 and up. Then get a trailer, license and registration, trail pass, helmets, gas for tow vehicle and then drive 65 miles for the nearest trail system that allows ATVs. And hope they are open that day. My R/Cs and I go across the street and the soccer fields are always open and 90% of the time are vacant.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:53 PM
quarterscalelegends

Plus dont forget that the chicks dig RC big time![8D]
Old 07-25-2005, 06:36 PM
icecreamslick

My wife doesn't dig RC big time. [&o] She thinks that I am a self-absorbed @$$ whenever I am working on my RC cars...and I am!

I wish she would get into this hobby, but I will just have to brainwash my children, and turn them to the dark side of the family. [>:]
Old 07-25-2005, 08:00 PM
hpiguy

Most of mt G/Fs have thought R/C was stupid and a waste of time also.

But then I reminded them that I never said a word when they collected Swarovski crystals or Boyd's Bears, Beanie babies, or dozens of shoes that look all the same to me and the like.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:27 PM
jeepfreak1972

I didn't have to choose. I've had many bikes, street and dirt, quads, big trucks, Jeeps, fast cars and rc cars. Right now I have an '04 Mustang GT, Honda 450 Foreman quad and my FG MB. Getting a couple of sport quads in the spring for the wife and I and I hope to get a Leopard race over winter. My other hobby that I really dig is target and varmint shooting. I have guns with scopes that easily exceed the cost of the FG off road cars and I can hit pill bottles at 200yrds all day long. If I had to choose only one hobby the shooting would be it. For me there is nothing like putting 3 shots in 1/2" circle at 100yrds. It takes skill, good optics and a good rifle to do that sort of shooting. I've got my own 200 yrd shooting range on my 10 acres so shootin is just short walk away. It took me along time to get where I am with that hobby. I hope i'm never in a position where I have to choose. My wife and I have been blessed with good paying jobs, we don't have kidds and we are not going to have any and my wife likes all the hobbies that I do. As far as the large scale rc for me there is no other scale of rc that does it for me any more. I can hardly tune a nitro now and why would I want to. I just finished my track to run the big beast. 230 x 150 ft with 12-15 ft wide lanes. I just have to build a drivers stand and get a well back there to water it with. Damn, I need more time to do all this stuff. I need to win the lottery so Mary and I can quit our jobs and play all the time.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:40 PM
hpiguy

Jeepfreak..... did you used to be on the net on other boards by the username Jeepinator?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.