Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

How to remove paint?

Old 07-31-2005, 11:48 PM
RC_Feen
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove paint?

I have some FG wheels that I need help with removing the paint from. They were dyied orange and then I tried to paint them chrome and that didn't work too well. So now I'm trying to get the paint removed without damaging the wheel (plastic). I want to try to salvage the wheels because they are so expensive. If I can get the paint removed then I plan on just dying them black. Does anyone know what can be used to remove the paint and not damage the wheel ? Thanks!
Old 08-01-2005, 12:03 AM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: How to remove paint?

Alot of guys soak this sort of stuff in brake fluid overnight. I haven't tried it, but its very commonly done so you shouldn't have a problem.

EDIT: You will want to take the tires off first though as the brake fluid might eat at the rubber and destroy them.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:34 AM
RC_Feen

drevil....Brake fluid ha! Never heard of that. I already have the tires off the wheels. I ordered another set of widen wheels from Molzer Mowery racing but haven't received anything yet. I'll have to give the brake fluid method a try. Clean-up is just soap and water i guess? Thanks!
Old 08-01-2005, 12:39 AM
badz

I usually air brush everything so on wheels i can just use my air eraser..it's like a mini sand blaster works great for that kinda stuff. I also use laquer paints and I haven't had laquer thinner eat any plastics yet..such as wheels....ya can try that...I'm pretty sure acetone will eat the plastic...mineral spirits may work also if it's a water based paint. Also using a dremel with a bristle brush will work....those soft dremel brushes are pretty handy in a pinch for quick removal..long as it's not wire it won't hurt anything. Not so sure brake fluid will work I'd imagine it may but it's not healthy for your tires...they may swell up like balloons. MEK is a good paint remover also but may damage the plastic if your not quick with it...plus it's pretty toxic if used you will need chemical gloves for sure it'll eat up them nitrol gloves
Old 08-01-2005, 01:05 AM
drevil

They do have paint removers that are safe for plastic, but i'm not sure where to get it.
As for the brake fluid, yes cleanup is with soap and water. Just make sure you get it all off before you paint.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:14 AM
RC_Feen

I've checked Home Depot and Lowes for a paint remover for plastics but hvaen't found anything. I'm going to try using my dremel with the plastic brush to see if I can get the paint off that way. Removing the paint with some type of chemical would be the easies and fastest way.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:17 AM
Lee G

I have found the best paint remoover is nitro. I tried all sorts of methods on a lexaan shell that were giving bad results. Out of pure desperation tried nitro and it worked well.

Good luck
Old 08-01-2005, 02:20 AM
RC_Feen

Lee G...Now come to think of it I remember someone using nitro to remove the paint on a lexan shell. Wonder if I summerge the wheels in nitro how long I would need to soak them?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:47 AM
deeppaul
My Feedback: (8)

brake fluid works real well
Old 08-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Lee G

ORIGINAL: RC_Feen

Lee G...Now come to think of it I remember someone using nitro to remove the paint on a lexan shell. Wonder if I summerge the wheels in nitro how long I would need to soak them?
Dont submerge anything, wipe or dab a bit on and see what happens. If the paint comes away as you wipe its worth useing.
After seeing what things like oven cleaner etc do to lexan, the last thing you want is melting plastic. Ok the wheels are not lexan, but try to remoove the paint first on a bit out of sight.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:24 PM
RC_Feen

deeppaul.....When you use the brake fluid do you submerge the wheel completely overnight? I tried alittle dab of brake fluid and rubbed the wheel to get the paint off but no luck. I tried the dremel with a plastic brush and this will work but time consumming. Need a faster way to remove the paint and have a clean finish with no paint remaining.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:04 PM
deeppaul

I used it on a body and put it on with a rag and let it set over night. The paint will start to losen up then you can wipe it off with a rag.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:04 PM
RC_Feen

deeppaul...thanks for the tip.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:06 PM
drevil

Brake fluid will remove the paint, but it's not like a regular paint remover so it won't remove it by just rubbing it on for a second. So you do need to let it soak overnight.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:07 PM
deeppaul

I found out the hard way by getting it on my real car.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:39 PM
daytona7

Use BoLINK BODY WASH. Works fast and GREAT. Just soak a cotton ball with it and slowly rub it all around the wheel. Wipe dry and repaint almost immediately.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:57 PM
RC_Feen

daytona7....Thanks for the info. This morning I covered the wheels with brake fluid. So tomorrow morning I'll check on them and see if it did the trick. If not I'll try some nitro fuel. If that doesn't do the trick I'll be checking the LHS to see if they carry Bolink body wash. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Lee G

Let us know if the brake fluid melts the wheels
Old 08-03-2005, 06:13 PM
turnell

RC FEEN! iv used optimax petrol on my shell before n my shell is perfect, iv just finished repainted it, it looks great. iv heard that it can corrode the plastic but i only think that'd happen if you went over board with the petrol, now iv done it once and its worked i swear by it. put a bit of petrol on a paper towl and give it a little rub...................... n plus the plastic your wheels are made from is alot stronger than my shell so its doubtful that you'll get any damage.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:26 PM
tornado786

Hi people's im new to this site and i was jus reading this thread and i wanted 2 know what a lexan was??? (im new to all da rc stuff) lol[8D]
Old 08-03-2005, 07:46 PM
hpiguy

Tornado, you have a 1/10th scale car that runs on Nitro. You need to be in the NITRO forums. They can help you MUCH more with some of your other posts.

But anyway Lexan is the brand name of the polycarbonate plastic our bodies are made of.

BTW Easy Off oven cleaner has been used by the Tamiya hard plastic body restorers with excellent results. Spray on, leave for awhile until paint looks mushy and wipe off.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:58 PM
dr.grip

im assuming a light media blast material would also work for wheels?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:38 PM
RC_Feen

Brake fluid has done the trick so far. After covering the wheels with the brake fluid and letting them sit over night, the next day a majority of the paint wiped right off with a paper towel. There were a few spots that didn't come off so I re-applied some more brake fluid and I just need to check them out again. Should wipe clean and then I'll be able to clean them up and dye them. I'll update after I check them again.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:06 AM
drevil

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I have also just recently tried brake fluid (on a pocketbike) and it worked like a charm. I've noticed it didn't bubble up like an actual paint remover, so the paint looks the same but wipes right off.
BTW I only let it sit for about three hours and the paint rubbed right off.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:56 PM
RC_Feen

Well I finally got all the paint of the wheels by using brake fluid. The other night I dyed them black but I don't think they are black enough. They have a purple haze to them. They were dyed orange and I only used on packet of black dye when I dyed them the other night. I'll dye them again, but this time I think I'll put 3 packets of black dye in the pot so I know for sure they get real black. Here's some pic's.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85581.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	312948  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.