Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Bettery question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Automan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bettery question...

If i have room for it on a monster truck, can i use this kind of Valve-Regulated Lead Acid Batteries ?

Panasonic LC-R0612P 6v and 12Ah ?

http://www.fedcoelectronics.com/deta...?SKU=LC-R0612P

Would it work as good as a couple of separate cells of sanyo or better ? will it take same abuse when driving in the terrain ? please advice.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:25 AM
8000ft

Default RE: Bettery question...

I've got a smaller version here next to me, it measures 2.5"x2"x4" and it weighs 31.8oz( just a hair under 2 pounds. I can only immagine what that weighs.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Automan

It is about 1,95kg... so it's around max-weight that i can accept. I haven't measured my 5cell packs yet, but i think they are around 1kg if im not way of there
Old 08-06-2005, 12:40 PM
dr.grip

why would you want to install that battery? i use a 7.2 6 cell pack and ive run it 2 hours straight with no problems. im sure it would go even longer but i havnt tried.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Automan

I think i will scrap this idea, although it would be nice with that increase in amps and maybe install an electric starter and lights at the same battery source.

Can anyone else confirm that using a 7,2volt on 6volt receiver and servos will not damage them at all ? and I'm talking about good quality digital servos and a digital receiver.
I have always used 6volt sanyo cells and they seams to hold a long time, so I'm very satisfied with them. Just that i was going to install in a car a pack i had done a few months ago, that i had run in nice and everything, but i cant find it anywhere so i need to get new sanyo cells and thats when i came up with this idea of a led batt.... now it feels a little dumb, they have high amps, but they weigh quite allot and are littlebit clumsy, so i will probably go with same sanyo cells again.

As i said, does anyone else recommend going for a 6pack instead of a 5pack sanyo cells ? i have heard of people running on lipoli at that voltage with no problems, but would like some more to tell me if it's safe and a good idea, thanks.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:32 PM
dr.grip

my electronics arent the best, just mx3 airtronics, ko propo jumbo steering servo and hi tech throttle servo, i use this novak adapter kit which i assume reduces the voltage? ive run it for about 6 hours total witout problems so far
Old 08-07-2005, 04:09 AM
Pigsmightfly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two decent 5 cell packs wired up in parallel will have it run all day without any loss of servo power

Extra weight towards the front helps the balance on Marder/Beetle as well IMO.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:51 AM
Automan

Thanks guys for the info !

I will get just other sanyo cells and stay with 6volt, cause i don't think there is any reason to take it up a volt, no real benefit compared to the high risk something will give or get damaged and not perform perfect
I used those 3600sanyo before on my bigfoot, now i will try out the 6500sanyo, that's the largest we have here in Sweden anyways, i have no time to wait for shipment from USA right now... but i know over there they are quite cheap and lots of amps, but 6500 will do for now, since the 3600 lasted very long.

When i run, i usually only drive from 1-3times on a day, then i generally want to.. or have to do something else but there have been days one could drive the whole day, but i have not any real good spots that i can drive whole day... so I'm searching for new places [sm=drowning.gif]

Pigsmightfly, i already have that sanyo3600 pack in the bigfoot, and another littlebit smaller for the lights, and my tunepipe "monster special" goes over the front to, and a fullpack of big servos.. so my truck is not that light in the front i can tell ya and add my rims to it.... this truck is not the light edition
And yes, you are right, some weight in the front will make a good balance to the heavy rear [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-07-2005, 05:06 AM
jimbo1890

Those lead/acid batteries don't like being drained below 80% they also don't like being charged or drained quickly

I used to use them in scale model ships the 100/1 scale WWII DIDO class AA cruiser that I scratch built had four 6V 7AH running 2 RS540 motors with 3/1 reduction boxes and nearly six feet long. I got about an hours steady running before I noticed a drop in top speed and it was time to pack up.

I also had a 50/1 scale Ashville class patroll boat with one rs540/gearbox. I ran six 7.2 volt nicads in paralell and it used to hum through the water on its hydrofoil plains.

NiCds and Nimh packs are much more user friendly
Old 08-07-2005, 06:37 AM
ibstar

lead acid don't like being bounced around to much either you would soon damage the plates inside.
i have seen you videos
stick to the sub c's plenty good enough.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:52 PM
kvernstad

koster fg delene i sverige nesten det samme som i norge!? f.eks så koster støtdemper uten fjær 420 kr!
Old 08-08-2005, 03:09 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 6 cell battery packs in my 1/4 scales with no problems. Helps increase the torque on the servos.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Automan

Ok, Thanks xknacx [sm=thumbup.gif]
I will try that later then. Feels a little better when people like your self are telling me this, people i have confidence in that have tried it, and not only are saying it works because they think it will.

kvernstad, I'm only buying my parts from england, mainly from Kevin at www.kevsracingbits.com, he is the fastest to deliver and best service ever, and very helpful. And some stuff from Krikke and Hobbytek, those are the main places i buy stuff from.

I will never make any deals with any dealer in Sweden, they are very slow and they often send the wrong stuff, and sometimes i get parts that someone else should have got, so i avoid them all like the plague nowadays.

I get stuff very fast from Kevin, and he is a very good person to deal with, so i always try him first, and he usually fix it for me faster then i can react
So i personally DONT want to buy stuff from my country as my experience is very bad with every store over here. I get stuff faster from england then anywhere else. And ordering from germany is a week for me as they only ship in a certain way... hobbytek does anyway, but krikke and hobbytek are about the same, maybe a litlebit better and more personal service from krikke.