Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Is it just me or....

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 05:45 AM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me or....

I have a MT-5 with a two speed, oneill pipe, visco diff, KPD mark3 hydros, the whole MI catalog and countless aluminum parts. I have recently added a ported/polished/balanced 27cc from O'neill brothers supposed to be good for 5.5-6hp @17,000 rpms.
In the last month I have broken two two speed clutch bells. Has anyone else had a problem? Both clutchbells have failed at the weld seperating the pinion shaft from the clutchbell; the most recent was installed a week ago and tonightwhile drivingthe new bell fell apart while driving on pavement. Please help.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:56 PM
BILKO1

Default RE: Is it just me or....

My Marder cluth bell let go last month[:@] so i got the hardend vented upgrade been fine since[8D]
Old 08-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Automan

The vented bell is just fine [sm=thumbup.gif] but i noticed that you have to get the alloy gear carrier, you cannot use the plastic one anymore cause the heat spreads more with the vented bell. You can still can use the plastic gear though... but you need that alloy carrier to hold it.

The heat goes down on the clutch bell with the venting holes, but the heat goes outside and effect the nearby plastic stuff like the gear carrier, but all the rest plastic seams to hold up fine. Just my 2cents
Old 08-13-2005, 05:24 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

FG does not make a vented two speed bell. Apparently FG is the only company that makes a two-speed anything for 1/5,6 scale unless you know otherwise. I can't figure out what is causing the problem, I have yet to strip a single pinnion or spur gear. I was thinking it might be an allignment issue but I have the aluminum gear plate which I stripped out the clutch housing and tapped out to 1/4 inch (8.+mm) so it holds very firmly. Any Ideas?