Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

CY or Zen....????

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 04:29 PM
voo2doo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CY or Zen....????

Hi-ya RC Fellas (Gurls)
As you probably noticed I have just ordered me FG MT(Yum-Yum). But the model shop I have ordered by said it come with CY motor? not the standard Zenoha.......Confused to f*7K?
Whats the difference? Is the Zen better or the CY?
Your comments would be appreciated.
Thanx
Vo0[&:]
Old 08-20-2005, 04:43 PM
radio_controlled_mad

Default RE: CY or Zen....????

they reckon zenoah is better qulaity engine - not sure how the cy peforms as ive never seen one in action - but i do know the cy engines retail for half the price of a zenoah and i know alot of fg owners dont rate them.but what i have noticed in the last 4/5 months fg are putting cy engines in basic marders / monsters ect but in the marder race & leopards and the onroad fg cars ect they come with zenoah 04 engines as standard.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:29 PM
hpiguy

I just bought a MT5 and a Sportsline 04 this year. In July to be exact.

They BOTH came with Zenoah engines. 26cc in the MT5 and 23cc in the Sportsline.

For the price they charge for an FG vehicle it had better come with a ZENOAH. If either of my cars had come with a CY I'd have returned it and bought something else.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:46 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

I believe FG uses CY motors only when Zenoahs are unavailable. I don't think the zenoah shortage has occured since very early this year. I have a ported balanced cy 27 that puts out alot more than the zenoah. Most engine builders prfer the CY (not sure why) so finding a modified zenoah (other than the Molzer 23) is very difficult CYs are everywhere.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:00 PM
radio_controlled_mad

most if not every racer in uk uses zenoah engine which have been heli tuned by oddified - you can get tuned zenoahs also direct from fg but they will set you back ÂŁ600 $1300 these are tuned in house at fg germany factory by seufert - i dont think its a case of shortage but rather fg mt and marder in early production this year used zenoah and later production used cy - so what every is in stock in your model shop is a lucky dip on what you get.the models that are more top end of the fg range like the marder race,leopards and evos ect which are used as competion models are all fitted with zenoah - were as fg mt and monster beetle you dont see on the race track - there more suited for bashing in the local park.i notice voo2doo who started the thread is from uk so i would recomend he buys the mt from rossendale models - they offer a choice of both engines fitted for the same price.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Mad Wax

The FG cars from Rossendale are pretty expensive though than another place - in fact ÂŁ82 more for MT with Zenoah 260RC!
Old 08-20-2005, 06:17 PM
radio_controlled_mad

rossendales will beat any model shop price - it is a family buisness - the son ownes rossendales and the father owns and runs king cobra - king cobra are the main and only dealers of fg parts coming into the uk - they supply every single model shop with fg cars and parts,i was going to get my 1st fg from raco in sweden as they were cheaper even with delivery to uk but i phoned rossendales he matched the price and fitted a 26cc bore up kit for free - and even packed the 23cc head and piston with the car (this was before 26cc was available as standard) so it worked out i got ÂŁ100 saveing + rossendales will have any fg part deliverd to your door the next day,there based up the road from the king cobra warehouse so theres no waiting weeks on end for your local model shop to get the parts in that come from king cobra to start with and when it comes to simple things like advice they know what there talking about and only to glad to help which i have found a great use.its got to be worth the price of a phone call.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Mad Wax

Where does it say Rossendale will match/beat prices? is that for UK only or EU? And if you were get the BB kit it's only fair they should include the old head/piston, it's only ÂŁ55 for the BB kit anyway. I certainly would not let them keep the brand new 23cc head & piston (as they would just sell it off)

Nothing against Rossendale (spent over ÂŁ200 from them) but listed FG models are a bit high.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:34 PM
radio_controlled_mad

rossendales didnt have to include the 23cc head (ÂŁ50) - they fitted the 26cc for free (ÂŁ55) and matched the prices of fgs at racos saving infact over ÂŁ150 - they dont say on the website that they will match prices but the fact there the main dealers of fg and supply model shops with fg cars suggests they can beat any uk model shop prices since there the ones supplying them to start with - just phone them and ask what price they can do on a certain model - tell them the prices you have seen from other shops - they will beat it - there prices on there site seem inline with every other site i have checked - but if your looking at there website you get the choice between the cy & zenoah in any of there fgs for same price as well as sound advice - you wont get that offer at any uk model shop you will get what they have in stock which seems to be the case with voo2doo who was told by his model shop he was getting the cy engine in his mt not the standard "zenoah" - which engine would you prefer given the choice if possible.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Automan

I like both the CY and the Zenoah. Have them both and have no favorite, they both perform great and are reliable so far.

I'm not part of that strange crowd (narrow-minded) that only choose a brand because allot of other people choose it (it's hyped... reminds me of teenager mentality really )... and they don't dare to try something new, afraid to brake apart from that safe place. Would be great to see them make up their own mind instead of letting other choose their path for them[>:] I'm glad i don't have to see much of that in this forum [sm=thumbup.gif]

For me it's this... go with what i read and hear, then if to much people put one thing down for no good reason, i will get it my self and try it out, and so far I'm totally satisfied with CY, same as with Zenoah.
The CY is a little cheaper, but in my opinion it have the same performance and reliability, and i have tested them very hard and long, the CY now for about 8months without any problems at all.

I don't know if it's true, but it feels like CY have a tiny tiny bit more low-mid range strength, and the Zenoah have a tiny tiny bit more top range strength... a few rpm more perhaps, but i may be wrong
Old 08-21-2005, 04:21 AM
radio_controlled_mad

IF BOTH ENGINES WERE THE SAME FG WOULD USE CY IN ALL THERE RANGE - BUT THEY DONT WHY IS THAT!!!!! - YOU WILL NOT FIND A MARDER RACE,LEOPARD OR & EVO FITTED WITH A FACTORY CY.ZENOAH IS MORE EXPENSIVE FOR A REASON - THEY MAY LOOK THE SAME BUT ITS HOW THEY ARE JETTED,PORTED AND THE THICKNESS OF THE CRANKCASE ECT.ITS NOT ABOUT BEING NARROW MINDED THE GUY ASKED FOR OPINION ON ENGINE GIVEN A CHOICE - CY IS NEW ON THE SCENE IN R/C TERMS WHICH DOESNT MEAN THEY DONT PERFORM IN THE PARK - BUT AS ZENOAH IS TRIED AND TESTED FROM BASHINBG IN THE PARK UPTO SERIOUS COMPETION FOR THE LAST 15 YEAR IF GIVEN THE CHOICE WHAT TO RUN IN ANY OF MY FGS I WOULD RATHER PAY THAT LITTLE EXTRA AND RUN A PROVEN ZENOAH RATHER THAN SOME CHEAP IMATATION GOPED ENGINE.

CY 23CC = 2.5BHP

ZENOAH 23CC =3.9BHP

WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:41 AM
jimbo1890

Not too sure about your argument there wakey as my limited edition marder race came with a factory 23cc CY engine which I can't fault.

Mabe FG went back to zenoah because too many customers spat the dummy and refused too give the CY a go?

There are quite a few CY's out there now and there would be a lot more talk and complaining going on if they wern't any good.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:17 AM
radio_controlled_mad

I NEVER SAID THEY CY WERE NOT ANY GOOD - BUT IF GIVEN THE CHOICE WHAT THE THREAD WAS STARTED ABOUT I WOULD CHOOSE A ZENOAH AS THEY HAVE BEEN PROVEN OVER 15 YEARS - AND THE LATEST O4 ZENOAH PUSHES OUT 3.9BHP AGAINST 2.5BHP CY SO WHY FIX SOMETHING IF IT AINT BROKEN!!! - THOSE ARE FACTS NOT NARROW MINDED AS OTHER GUY SUGESTED - IM SURPRISED YOU GOT A FACTORY CY IN MARDER RACE BUT I GUESS IT DEPENDS WERE YOU LIVE - I THINK MT AND MB WERE MADE TO SATISFY THE GROWING MARKET IN USA AND OTHER COUNTRYS OUTSIDE EUROPE WERE THERE IS NOT MUCH OF A SCENE FOR RACING HENCE THEY WANT TO MAKE AS MUCH PROFIT AS POSSIBLE OFF PLP WHO AINT FUSSY WHAT ENGINE THEY HAVE FITTED.THE CY ARE BECOMING MORE COMMON IN EUROPE IN THE ENTRY LEVEL FGS SUCH AS BASIC MARDER - MT & MB WHICH IN REALITY ARE JUST FOR PARK FUN AS THEY DONT HANDLE AND WOULD BE NO GOOD IN RACE - WERE AS THE MARDER RACE,LEOPARDS AND ONROAD CARS ALL COME WITH ZENOAH - FG WILL BE DOING THAT FOR REASON ÂŁÂŁÂŁ$$$ÂŁÂŁÂŁ.BUT AFTER ALL ITS JUST MY OPINION BUT ITS NICE TO HAVE THE CHOICE GIVEN THE FACTS - BUT HEY I COULD BE WRONG THATS WHAT THE FORUMS FOR.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:08 AM
Automan

wakey, is there something wrong with your CapsLock, or do you that more people will listen to you just because you are shouting ??

What you get your fact's is beyond me, where did you get those data ?
I can clarify that it was the 26cc engines i was talking about (not that it makes much difference). They have been compared and given almost identical results in different benchmarks and other tests made by professionals (was around christmas, so I'm sorry but i don't have url's to those places left), some minor things where better on CY, and some other minor things where better on Zenoah. You can believe me or not about this info, it's totally up to anyone, I'm not here to try to convince anyone to choose a specific brand, I'm just talking about my experience and what i have read etc, and trying to get people to make up their own mind and not always just follow the crowd.

I don't care at all for your argument that Zenoah have been around for the last 15years as you said wakey, it does not tell us it's the only choice out there for best performance and reliability.
The reason FG are going back to mainly Zenoahs again, is the fact that there are to many !QUOT!children!QUOT! shouting that they only want the Zenoah, that their friends etc have it, and it's so hyped and talked about that he just don't dare to chose anything else.
Referring to the main racing guys who is using Zenoahs, they use it because they know Zenoah and what it stands for, and they don't have much time and patience to try a relatively new engine as the CY engine yet, and maybe they have Zenoahs before and just want to keep using them.

I'm not at all saying that the Zenoah is bad in any way, and the same goes for CY, but if you narrow it down... you will get more engine for the money with a CY engine. The Zenaohs is a little overpriced, but i think they will come down a bit soon

wakey, you should try to look over that CapsLock problem
Old 08-21-2005, 07:55 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

Take a CY 23cc engine add a 1mm stroker crank you will now have a 24+ cc engine with the very large 23cc transfer ports then mod it up from there..
the Cy engines have shown great durability so it boils down to a personal choice

i dont recall zenoah ever changing anything on the rc230 so where did they get the extra HP all of a sudden?
Old 08-21-2005, 07:58 AM
radio_controlled_mad

I CAN USE CAPS IF I LIKE + NO 1 IS SHOUTING,I AINT BOTHERED SOME 1 ASKED FOR ADICVE SO I GAVE IT - ZENOAH HAS 1.4BHP SIMPLE FACT OVER THE CY,IF ANYTHING YOU SOUND LIKE A BITTER CY OWNER.NEXT TIME IM DOWN THE TRACK I WILL ASK THE OTHER RACERS WHY THEY CHOOSE ZENOAH OVER CY IF IT BOTHERS YOU SO MUCH
Old 08-21-2005, 08:02 AM
radio_controlled_mad

ORIGINAL: fastrat_porting_service

Take a CY 23cc engine add a 1mm stroker crank you will now have a 24+ cc engine with the very large 23cc transfer ports then mod it up from there..
the Cy engines have shown great durability so it boils down to a personal choice

i dont recall zenoah ever changing anything on the rc230 so where did they get the extra HP all of a sudden?
THERE IS 2 ZENOAH ENGINES OF LATE - THE RC230 & RC230 04 , THE 04 IS THE ONE WITH LARGER TRANSFER PORTS AND MODDIFIED INTAKE,YOU CAN TELL THE 04 ENGINES BECAUSE THERE FITTED WITH RED SPARK PLUG CAP + AND 24CC ENGINE AINT MUCH USE REGARDLESS OF THE MAKE BECAUSE IT AINT RACE LEGAL.YOU GIVE A SIMPLE BIT OF ADVICE AND YOU GET ALL THE CY OWNERS MAONING - THE STROKER YOU REFER 2 IS THE ONES FROM ONEILLS FOR $50 INC 27 HEAD KIT - THE ONES AS USED ON GOPEDS.A FEW PLP ARGUEING THE CASE FOR CY BUT WHERES IS THE FACTS TO BACK IT UP INSTEAD OF MOANING - I HAVE GAVE MY ADVICE AS ASKED AND REASONS WHY I WOULD CHOOSE ZENOAH - ALLS I HERE BACK IS IM SCARED TO TRY ANYTHING ELSE.AND A SIMPLE CLICK ON ONEILLS WEBSITE FOR YOU AMERICAN GUYS WILL SHOW WHAT ENGINE PRODUCES WHAT.BUT YOU ARE RIGHT IT IS DOWN TO PERSONAL CHOICE ITS THAT SIMPLE BUT IF A THREAD ASKED FOR ADVICE I WILL GIVE IT IF I CAN - IF PLP DONT LIKE THE ADVICE USE FACTS TO BACK IT UP INSTEAD OF FLAMING.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:34 AM
jimbo1890

Firstly, capitalising every letter is shouting to most people on this forum so I suggest you change your ways if you want to be taken seriously

Secondly, the thread starter was refering to a FG MT with a 26cc engine and I'll bet no one can show any performance or reliability difference between the two.

And thirdly, us poor CY owners are moaning about what we see as poor or at least questionable advice.

wakey you may wan't to consider that all advice is subjective. ie what the poster believes to be correct and if you can't handle alternate points of view well ??????
Old 08-21-2005, 08:39 AM
radio_controlled_mad

fair comment but he asked between the zenoah and cy regardless of size i aint heard one bit of adivce that would convince any one intrested in buying largescale to choose cy over zenoah if given the choice - i gave my reasons why i would choose the zen over the cy - the only thing i heard is fg switched back to zenoah as to many plp were spitting out the dummy - do you think fg would cave in that easy - do you think its a profit thing or performance thing or both!!!! like anything in life you get what you pay for

my fg with crap zen engine,hmmm should i stick a cy in there!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41142.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	313092  
Old 08-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Automan

You seam to still have problem with that CapsLock key, and reading apparently And yes, using CapsLock is referred to shouting to most people, just so you know

Bitter CY owner, yea right Thats why i say I'm loving them both. You sure seam to have a "special" way of understanding things lol.
I'm not going to debate this anymore with you, and if you are trying to get me going just by saying that I'm CY owner moaning, and have nothing to back up what i have written before... as i said before, i really don't care if YOU believe me or not, to me you seam to be just another kid who wants attention (you are sure acting that way anyways), and I'm not going to give you any more.

To all the rest and voo2doo, it's nothing but personal choice of the engines, thats all.

I'm not at all saying that the Zenoah is bad in any way, and the same goes for CY, but if you narrow it down... you will get more engine for the money with a CY engine. The Zenaohs is a little overpriced, but i think they will come down a bit soon

Edit: Im glad you finally understood the Capslock thing wakey [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-21-2005, 08:49 AM
radio_controlled_mad

get over it
Old 08-21-2005, 08:52 AM
jimbo1890

OK here are some quotes from a couple of engine gurus in 1/5 scale

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:40 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As yet i have only tested the superior engines in standard form, but the results look quite interesting. On the dyno the standard 23cc superior engine has more power than a standard 230 zenoah. The compression, squish band and transfer ports are slightly differant to the zenoah.

As for the quality, they look fine, the castings are at least as good as a genuine zenoah and the plateing in the cylinder is a better finnish than a zenoah.

I'll know shortly how they compare when they are tuned.

Ian Oddified
1:5th Scale UK Champion
and another.

If you`re referring to the G230RC-04 then yes they are better than the previous version, transfer ports are now "flowed" better to match the crankcase and have a little more volume so a bit more torque.

If you mean the "Chinese" engines then yes, experience I have!
Been selling then under my own brand (ALRO "Black Fire") since about the middle of last year and have not had a single negative comment so far!
But be aware I DO modify them so mine are not the same as any you would get anywhere else! My spec is higher!

Rob Lochier
ALRO Racing Systems
Engine Tuning/Repairs/Servicing

Quote:- "It`s only Toy Cars really"!!

Taken from another forum I hope they don't mind.

Old 08-21-2005, 08:56 AM
radio_controlled_mad

what you have pasted although is intresting - theres is nothing there about cy - if anything your making a stronger case there for the zenoah engine & backing up what i have been saying all along about the 04 engine ports ect - one of the quotes you have pasted there is from ian oddie - uk top engine tuner, i have just checked his website and he doesnt mention working with cy engines only zen

http://www.oddified.com/index.html

Quite simply - what we do best!

We take a Zenoah engine and produce the output that you want from it, we can tune for specific uses (such as TC, Offroad or Monster Truck) and have become the market leader for specialist tuning.

We have various stages of tune ranging from a basic tune to the ultra advanced Oddie Heli-Tune. All engines are dyno tested on our custom built specialist dyno and output graphs are recorded for each engine to assure quality.

For the best advice we suggest that you contact us and ask for more details as we can then discuss your requirement

Old 08-21-2005, 09:34 AM
jimbo1890

Chung Yang ie CY make the superior engines that Ian is talking about. READ MY POST I DID NOT GET THAT QUOTE FROM HIS WEB SITE.

This thread is now getting silly and I'll have no more to do with it.

if anyone want's to know where the quotes come from please PM me
Old 08-21-2005, 09:35 AM
radio_controlled_mad

i have just received email from owner of tornado racing uk - stockists of elcon parts & also uk rs5 racing team who also offer ian oddie heli tuned engines on there website - i asked what the dif between zen and cy and did uk serious racers use cy - as for the thread getting silly put some concrete proof to back up the cy engine - i gave you my reasons as well advice from rs5 team.

http://www.tornadoracing.biz/

Some do, there’s no real performance difference when tuned.

In terms of standard performance the CY is marginally better than 03 Zenoah but 04 Zenoah is a big step over both of them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.