Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Hurricane Katrina

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 11:31 PM
marder22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurricane Katrina

I just wanted to wish all of the hobbiest the best of luck with the hurricane. I lost everything. I live in st bernard parish in louisiana. Every house is underwater. I have 15 feet of water in my house according to the police that we know in boats. The funny thing is that one of the few things i actually took with me before leaving is my fg marder converted to a monster beetle a few days ago. It was the only thing i could not put a price on for insurance. Again, best of luck to anyone in the same situation and to the many dead that did not survive.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:33 AM
nitroman111

Default RE: Hurricane Katrina

i to am feeling sorry for the people that were caught in the hurricane. i live Washington and not in tornado alley. i hope that everyone that made it out of the path of Katrina is all right!! if anybody has can you post them for all of us to see here in Washington or any were else that is in united states of America!!! to those who lost loved one i feel very sorry for the people that died. anybody else fell sorry for those who died please post!!

thanks revokid!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 03:57 AM
original.mb

marder22,

sorry to hear of your loss i watched the hurricane on tv lastnight and it looked very tragic and scary. i hope things work out and at least you got your r/c buddy's from overseas preying for you
Old 08-31-2005, 06:17 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

Wow! 15FT of water. We have been watching the news and when they mention the water levels there it's pretty scary. Water does so much damage and we never seem to be fully prepared for it. Our thoughts are with you and you family as well as all the people that are going through this tragedy.

Sincerly,

Joe Selwa and Family
Old 08-31-2005, 08:25 AM
fourwheeler

I personnaly am not affected by the devastation but my thoughts and prayers are with all those who suffered a loss of any kind.

May God bless.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:04 AM
Automan

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss marder22, hope you will recover from this terrible situation someday.. you got your little fg friend to help you get trough

And to all others that was/is effected by this hurricane, i hope that you wont suffer to much, and if so only material things that you loose, and hopefully not a family member or a friend, my thought are with you all.

I know you over there have been trough these hurricanes before many times, but for someone like me over here in Sweden.... it's just pretty hard to imagine how it would be to experience this, and be right in the middle of it. Sure we had a little storm over here not long ago, but even if that was a bit scary sometimes, it cant be compared in any way to your experiences over there. So far we over here haven't got that bad weather... yet, but as i see it's only a matter of time, the weather all over the world are getting more and more hard and unforgiving, summer is getting hotter, and winter do have some pretty outstanding snowstorms, so it's getting worse by each year.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:56 AM
HeatFire

You can never put a price on feelings...

(15 feet = 4.57200 meters)
Old 08-31-2005, 09:56 AM
marder22

Hey everyone, you can see a pic of my neighborhood at savingstbernard.blogspot.com. The picture titled "St. Bernard Pic #1 Home Depot-Chal Vista" is my neighborhood. Thanks for all your support.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:43 AM
randyg-rcu

Well, I have mixed feelings on this...

The loss of property is rather tragic, and I do hope everyone was well-insured, even though that will barely help people recover from their loss. At least you kept your marder safe!

The loss of life, on the other hand... You get these quotes from people wondering if they should break through their roofs or not and dribbling about how they want to live... so why didn't these obviously able-bodied people evacuate when they were told to? You ignore storm warnings, you ignore predictions your house will be under water, you ignore evacuation orders... then whine when everything people told you would happen happens? Sorry, but those people I have a hard time sympathizing with. People with disabilities, in hospitals and care homes, etc, I feel greatly sorry for... but not the able-bodied people who got on some macho trip of staying behind.

And, to put the event in perspective, the loss of life is far less than the 2004 indian ocean tsnumani, the invasion of iraq (or any other war), any of the major fires, most major structure collapses, the few recent plane crashes, or even today's Al-Aaimmah bridge catastrophe.

As to "my thoughts and prayers are with all those who suffered a loss," please, please figure it out. Your thoughts and prayers aren't going to help bloody anything. If you want to help, your wallet (or, if in the area, volunteer efforts) being with them will do far more to help. Some suggestions:
Red Cross - http://www.redcross.org/pressrelease...4_4473,00.html - always in need of donations so they can help.
Humane Society - https://secure.hsus.org/01/disaster_relief_fund_2005 - Pets are people too! Many animals may be stuck in buildings, wondering where their humans are, in need of food, clean water, shelter, or medical aid, or otherwise need your help. Being a wolf myself, I strongly support their efforts.
Salvation Army - http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/ - needs donations to provide food, water and other help. (server seems to be buckling under the load, so please don't visit unless you plan on donating!)
Katrina Help Wiki - http://katrinahelp.info/wiki/index.php/Main_Page - resources for helping, including where to post offers of shelter, etc.
Aid Agencies - http://katrinahelp.info/wiki/index.php/Aid_Agencies - a large list of organizations that can use your volunteer efforts or donations to help.
If you're in the area, get on some old clothes, and help! Food and supplies need to be delivered, shelters need to be provided, if you have even basic first aid training your medical skills may be needed, r/c cars need to have their engines broken down and cleaned, people with boats are still needed for ongoing rooftop rescues (of both people and animals), and, of course, food, water, clothes, etc, would make many people's lives much happier. Prayers and thoughts won't do anything, but spending that time helping feed and shelter people will!

--Randy
Old 08-31-2005, 01:36 PM
marder22

As to the comment of this disaster having a low body count compared to other disasters, start watching the news. We have possibly over 1000 dead so far. I have bodies floating past my house according to my police department that my uncle is with. One all is done, there are going to be more dead most likely than the us count for the iraq war and possibly more than even 911. So make sure you get your facts straight.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:22 PM
JQuest64

randyg-rcu, I think you need a reality check. Loss of life, is just that, tragic, at any scale, be it 100, or 1,000.
Many that remained behind did so because all they had, is what was there. It has nothing to do with being macho, it has to do with preserving what was yours because you cannot replace it. Many lost everything they had, and have no means to replace it. While it may have been foolish to think they could have saved their homes like they had hoped to do, many feel that is their only option.
Many of the areas hit, were populated by those with very little, they have no flood insurance.

As for thoughts and prayers being meaningless, that is solely opinion based. Those who have nothing else to offer, offer up their prayers. For many that means very much. Just because it does not you, does not mean you should discount it.

While I have already donated what I could, I offer more, my thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by Katrina. While that may mean little to some, it makes a world of difference to others.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:32 PM
Pigsmightfly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: marder22

As to the comment of this disaster having a low body count compared to other disasters, start watching the news. We have possibly over 1000 dead so far. I have bodies floating past my house according to my police department that my uncle is with. One all is done, there are going to be more dead most likely than the us count for the iraq war and possibly more than even 911. So make sure you get your facts straight.
I know you're having a pretty crap time at the moment but you need to look beyond the typically insular American viewpoint. The loss of life due to the Iraq war far exceeds 1000........ quite a few Iraqis have died as well.

Anyone taking bets on Bush blaming this on Osama? Bad taste I know but I bet it passed his mind whilst watching The Simpsons.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:57 PM
USABaja5B

Sorry for your hard times Marder22. I wish you and yoru fmily the best of luck as you re-build.

Randy, don't come crying when your state falls into the ocean. I hope to heck we don't have to cover that insurance bill. I'll have ocean front property when that happens.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:56 AM
original.mb

i think any mass loss of life is tragic it really does pain me to see people suffer from any background.

i feel sorry for the poor people in alabama that didn't have the means/funds to leave before the disaster struck. i hope the american government and world gets the help, services and support out there asap.

may god protect the people that are alone and suffering in this tragic disaster and worldwide
Old 09-01-2005, 03:05 PM
wl6
My Feedback: (8)

marder22, I feel for ya. When Hurricane Charley rolled thru Charlotte County(bout 20 minutes North of me) last August. Charlotte Co. is still trying to recover.
We lost our roof, and we are still not living in the house yet. So we been camping for the last 8 months.Living out of suitcases SUCK!!!!

We could not get the Insurance Co. to get off their butts for 3 months, so we hired a Public Private Adjuster. Now things are getting done like they should have to begin with.

Try to keep a positive attitude, its a long road from here.
MY .02-----Hire a Public Private Adjuster.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:10 PM
hellya

Our government needs to get off their asses..... if they can send relief to the tsunami victims half way around the world within 24 hours
Check this article out......... 4 days after the hurricane, still living in a stadium with 30,000 people, no toilets and dead people []

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.js...01/212835.html
Old 09-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Sportflyr
Banned

We went through three hurricanes last year here in central FL and the sheer devastation
of what Katrina dealt made all three of those hurricanes look like a good sailing day.

This will definitely be a shining example of where our governments priorities are.
As I write this I am watching GWB try his ass off to give some sort of explanation
and hope in this massive disaster.

Folks, understand...these cities are GONE! All of that history is now a lake probably never to be rebuilt.

Marter, I can only try to convey my most sincere empathy for your misfortune and the misfortunes of all those in
the affected areas. I hurt for all the wildlife and stranded pets also as they face a massive euthinization campaign.

I really am disturbed by the emergency budget cuts and seeing areas that have no rescue efforts or relief whatsoever.

I'm just hoping this will be a shining moment for the Bush admin. but, as of now, I'm seriously pissed off about all the suffering
and the mundane **** that this country values over life.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:02 AM
hellya

Bush admits its not enough....... I bet if he lived there or if his family was stuck there, it would be different[&:]

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.js...02/213211.html
Old 09-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Sportflyr
Banned

I just can't handle all those that are suffering. The media likes to flash pics and vids of areas
that are getting relief and where they just generally feel safe enough to broadcast from but, they
need to get someone with some balls to convey the nitty-gritty to the public...desperate, violent and hungry people that
have no relief in sight. [:@]

Old 09-02-2005, 11:24 AM
hellya

The world is looking down on the USA? we have over 1,000,000 people displaced from the hurricane

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050902/...na_reaction_dc
Old 09-03-2005, 07:02 AM
original.mb

hellya

its really got out of control now people are dying daily??? isn't america the worlds biggest power? bush needs to stop taking 70 billion a year from american taxpayers money and instead of throwing it at all his black projects he should think about taking care of his own for a change.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:14 AM
hellya

Lets see for some reason Bush cant get them help to the people......... is that because Most all of the national guard is still over in Iraq?Yes....... ohhhh ya, so are most of active and reserve military personel.

I bet if we werent still dicking around in Iraq, there wouold be plenty of military people, helping alot faster

What happened to F.E.M.A (Federal Emergency Management Agency)?????. 4-5 days later alot of people are still asking that same question

Problem is they have 300,000- 400,000 people to evacuate but the busses can only move about 20,000 a day

They rounded up people from their houses and the street brought them to the highways and underpasses and let them sit there for days No food, No water, No toilets, No help[]

http://www.comcast.net/providers/fan...an/default.xml

http://www.comcast.net/providers/fan...an/default.xml

Old 09-03-2005, 11:51 AM
marder22

Im glad to see that everyone is staying on top of this subject. It truely affects all of us, mainly the rest of the nation for gas prices. I had three major gas refineries just by my house, most of them either underwater or heavily damaged. We are going to be feeling the effects of this storm for possibly years to come. Unfortunately, there is another one mustering up strength out in the atlantic right now. Thank you to all.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:21 PM
ETRNL

sorry to here of your loss. i have a grandma that lives south of jackson mississippi, we still havent heard from her. our prayers and thoughts are with her, and all of the hurricane victims, and those still struggling. i just wish there was a way to stop the hurricanes like Katrina, like i dont know,........ a big bomb in the middle to disrupt all of its air currents that it draws it power from... just my 2 cents.

anyways i hope everything turns out ok...