Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG MT-5 Monster tire tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 09:12 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default FG MT-5 Monster tire tips

New to the giant scale class, I was surprised to find that the FG MT-5 shipped with no tire inserts. I see that they are available as an option. Question - are folks running with or without inserts? Beather holes in the wheels? in the tires? Other tire tips?
Old 09-04-2005, 10:08 PM
fourwheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FG MT-5 Monster tire tips

I am running my MT-5 without inserts and a small hole in the tread of the tires. If you don't have a breather of some sort the truck is too bouncy.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:15 PM
JQuest64

I put the foams in, and like the ride a whole lot better. IMHO, they were well worth it. I made my own so they only cost me the material.

Another upside is, no flat spots from sitting for an hour. Sure they come out real easy, but the truck looks like it is sitting on flat tires.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:54 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with fourwheeler. [8D] Glue the tires and make sure you have no leaks (Charmin squeeze test ), and then drill a hole between the treads on the tire itself. Lots of guys drill the hole in the rim, but then it is harder to squeeze out water/mud........which brings me to the reason for omiting the inserts. It seems that they would soak up water and cause the tire to wobble. []

The flat spots from setting on the ground spin right out when you drive away.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:57 AM
Doohan

If your truck is going to get wet in any way....drive thru puddles, wash with a hose etc....dont use the inserts.
They will unbalance the wheel and never dry out.
I dont think you need them anyway.....I have glued my tyres with no inserts and just drilled one small 3mm hole in each rim.
The truck drives great...no flat spots....and not bouncy.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:56 AM
quantum2plus2

The foam inserts that were supplied by fg to use in my marder buggy were closed cell foam (so wont soak up any water).
Ive just ordered some inserts for my MT and they should be made from closed cell foam too.
If they are not I will be going out and buying some strips of closes cell foam to use in the MT tyres.
I would not want to run monster size tyres without foam.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:05 AM
p113

in these arger scales inserts are usually needed the tires wont bulge like they do in nitro if they dont have them