Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

How does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 02:17 PM
EFF GEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does it work?

Ive just been looking at the two speed gears for the marder but can anyone tell me how it works, as the four gears look like their all meshed together. So how does it change from 1st to 2nd?

Its probably not complicated but i can't tell from the pictures i've looked at.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:22 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: How does it work?

The big secret is there is a one way bearing on first gear, so 2nd gear esentialy overdrives first gear when in is applied. Simple yet brilliant. With the two speed you can gear for off the line performance and top speed performance; no compromise! Do it!

I have Two speed trannys on both of my FGs and honestly the it is the only reason I have not bought a Lauterbacher supercross. If someone with a supercross could tell me if a two speed would work I would buy one.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:46 PM
EFF GEE

I'm still not sure i understand......is it a centrifugal action like the clutch ,i asume it changes gear automatically as i read you can change the point at which it changes gear by adjusting a screw. Do you mean that although both gears are meshing ,only one is giving drive and at some point the other gear takes over the drive?[]

Am i close?
Old 09-12-2005, 06:18 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, there is another clutch in the 2 speed assy. When it gets to a certain rpm it engages and kicks in the second speed. The one way bearing takes the load off the other gear and just lets it spin.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:38 PM
chowderhead72

Yes you are correct.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:41 PM
EFF GEE

Ah, thanks ,i think i've got it now......i might get one after i've bought a tuned pipe. Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:49 PM
chowderhead72

ORIGINAL: EFF GEE

Ah, thanks ,i think i've got it now......i might get one after i've bought a tuned pipe. Thanks again.
The last time I looked there were three or four of them on Ebay.UK You guys are so lucky! I have seen One on ebay.usa in 6 months. The Two-speed is my favorite hop-up so far but I don't think it would be so great without a Pipe.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

I need a 2speed for my FG Evo 2

when I'm buying a 2speed, can I choose what size gears i want? because i want for the first speed to be the lowest gear for very hight torque and the 2nd gear the highest available for the maximum top speed

now if there was 3 or 4 speed that would be awesome...

OHH i know so much about how 2speed works loll
check this out
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_18...tm.htm#1845697
Old 09-13-2005, 04:45 PM
chowderhead72

ORIGINAL: Dr.ArmoMaxx

when I'm buying a 2speed, can I choose what size gears i want? because i want for the first speed to be the lowest gear for very hight torque and the 2nd gear the highest available for the maximum top speed

check this out
Trust me you don't need a three speed. buy the onroad two speed and go up a spur or two on the second gear. You will have more top speed than you (or the car) can handle and more torque than your tires can handle. The fg tranny is alot simpler than your revo tranny (less tepremental too) and yes you can change gears as well. Look here[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3230563/anchors_3233648/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3233648]Two speed thread[/link]
Old 09-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

ORIGINAL: chowderhead72

ORIGINAL: Dr.ArmoMaxx

check this out
Trust me you don't need a three speed. buy the onroad two speed and go up a spur or two on the second gear. You will have more top speed than you (or the car) can handle and more torque than your tires can handle. The fg tranny is alot simpler than your revo tranny (less tepremental too) and yes you can change gears as well. Look here[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3230563/anchors_3233648/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3233648]Two speed thread[/link]

thanks man...yeh the tmaxx tranny i complicated cuz of reverse

I would like for my first gear to be 16/48 3:1
and second gear to be 26/38 1.46:1

its possible right?
Old 09-13-2005, 08:38 PM
chowderhead72

Yes it would be possible but it would drive like crap. That would be like shifting from granny low into fifth gear. If you want ultra speed try 44 1st and 38 2nd. 46 and 48 gears are for off roed and useless for you especially with the small touring tire/wheels. With a 44 low gear you will want to go back to you stock clutch so you can have earlier engagement. Even with 44 you will have alot of wheel spin. To use 38 2nd you will have to buy a different carrier because the regular is too large to fit inside the 38 gear.