Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

A starter...

Old 09-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Automan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A starter...

I have been thinking on and off for a long time, if there is an electric starter kit for these 26cc - 29cc engines, is there any such thing available ?

I know it's not the hardest thing to make your self, but im just curious of there is a kit to buy.. rtr so to speak

Btw, the space it will take is not a problem.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:42 PM
StefanL

Default RE: A starter...

On large scale homemade engines, V-8´s and bigger in the 100 cc range and up use regular 540 style electric motors like those in 1/10 electric cars. Look at Conleys V-8...

The small probelm would be hooking it up, but it is very much doable (is that even a word?).
Old 09-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Automan

Thanks Stefan. but i know all that. I have seen those engines long time ago and have had a a few very big off road motorcycles and very fast road racers. Im just curious if there is a ready to bolt on electric starter kit for smaller 2stroke engines, as there are for 49cc and up. Would be cool

If i cant find a ready kit, i will see if i have time to fix one myself maybe, and as you said, those electric engines for the 1/10 etc would probably work. Just want it watertight to
Old 09-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Look at some of the gas powered scooters... I am sure someon has made and electric start for those, and alot of scooters have zen or zen-copy motors. Anyway, IMO Pull start on the engines is better.... 3 pulls and go, no starter battery to worry about.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:32 PM
StefanL

I thought you already had that figured out Automan. Just wanted an excuse to put up a picture of a blown mini V-8 that´s all!

A ready kit? Haven´t seen any, not on rc or any other contraption that uses small two-strokes. But I can see no reason why a starter for a 50cc won´t work on a 26cc. Go pry one off a scooter moped at a junk yard or something...

I honestly think though that it would be better to make a homemade starter, it isn´t rocket science. There is anyway a bit of work fitting a gear to the Zen flywheel etc, so why not do the whole thing?

Stefan
Old 09-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

As you said, many of the 49cc engines have to starter, and like mine, that I got from a pocket bike, it has an electric start. Howver, you wouldn't be able to use it on anything like the 26cc's, because it's built in. Problem is, and I may be wrong, but like mine, don't all the FG type engines have a clutch attached? If it didn't you could just add an extension and run a belt to the motor. You can look around, but like I said, most larger engines have built in starters, and stators.....so the battery is a plus.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Automan

Stefan, i can understand why you want to put that picture up i just love those engines.. V8, V10 etc, just sitting and listen to the sound in those videos when they test run these beauty's is heaven And those few vids when they test them in a car, woow.

Thanks everyone !! i guess there is no rtr package for this electric starter i will look into if I'm going to put any energy to make a starter now, or a simple reverse.... as reverse seam to be sometime in the future, a few years from now maybe Will see if i will fix that or start to do something else instead

Acs guitars, sure it's very easy to start these engines, just a few pulls and of you go. But starting it from the remote would be cool [8D]
Old 09-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Deanwvu

I will preface this post by saying I know nothing about nothing

I noticed your other question the other day--about reverse...

Combined with this question, are you looking for a large scaler that will:

1. Go in reverse
2. Start on demand from the radio?

If so, that would be AWESOME!!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Automan

Im not looking for a large scale car, but thanks anyway... for nothing (im just joking with you)

And yes, that would be rather cool if i could get those things to work, reliable, then i would be satisfied.... for a few hours Until next idea pups up, like for many in here
Old 09-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Soloratov

I recently upgraded to SolidWorks for my CAD design. Automan, if you are interested, I am going to be putting my reverse gearbox into the program to see how it will fit in my truck. After I get it built in the program, i could send you an exploded view you could work from to build a smaller version for the 1/5ths. It's a real simple design and should be fairly easy to make with the right tools. Not sure what you have access to, but a mill should be all you need. Let me know and when I finish the design I will send you a copy of the image.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:19 PM
JQuest64

No matter how many times I see those Conley's, they still amaze me.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:48 PM
jimbo1890

Automan, I can remember a thread about this, It's way back though and from memory there was a picture if the aircraft version of the zenoah with a starter motor mounted that was controlled from your radio.

I had a bit of a search and could not find the thread but I know it's there somewhere.

Old 09-24-2005, 07:10 AM
ibstar

yeap there is also a marine electric start for zem engines
i think it was mhz in germany doing them
Old 09-24-2005, 07:21 AM
ibstar

not very nice looking though
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/fema.htm
Old 09-24-2005, 07:22 AM
Automan

Thanks Soloratov, that would be great if you could send me that exploded view of a reverse module [sm=thumbup.gif] So i have something to compare my own thoughts against

jimbo1890, yes.. thanks for the info, i will search around that area and see if i find something.

He he... funny thought, just install a second 26cc engine for the reverse and connect it to the main drivechain NOT

Edit: Thanks ibstar, some great info there, i will get right on it and check it out [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-26-2005, 11:06 AM
James Yeung

I was always interested with this (FEMA) onboard starter for my planes. Alas, I think it's too much of a weight penalty for my 45-60 size planes.

Does anyone know if the electric motor is always engaged? Would act as a battery charger, eh?

Anyway, RPMS on a gas would be twice that and if it's always engaged, that cannot be good for an r/c plane design!?

Soloratov, please do send a CAD drawing of reverse here and to the reverse thread. Would be interesting to study when you finished!

Thanks,

James
Old 09-26-2005, 04:52 PM
MrMikeG

Homelite made an electric start weed trimmer, maybe you could adapt that system, it would be cheap as well!
Old 09-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Soloratov

CRAP! Forgot to bring the thing home today from work! Will try to remember tomorrow. Anyway, I can't imagine an electric motor being any good for charging the battery it runs off of. Thats the old........perpetual energy/motion idea. Wouldn't work. Thats why cars have an alternator, there is always less electricity being used than there is going in.

It's why for my truck I am to get a tiny 12v battery to hook to the engines stator, and it should be strong enough to recharge the battery since I am only using it to start the truck, run the radio gear, and maybe some lights.