Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

strange sound

Old 09-25-2005, 05:13 AM
q8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange sound

when ever i hit breaks on my MB strange sounds comes out of it plus the breaks are weak the sound like somthing is breaking or somthing wrong with the gears im not really an exper with the Big scale cars so can some1 help me out and if its a know issue how do u solve it i need links for the upgraded parts
Old 09-25-2005, 11:48 AM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: strange sound

Check the external gears, the pinion (small) and the spur (large), first to see if they are turning freely and meshed together well.

Yesterday, I tried to drive my Monster Beetle. I probably got about twenty feet before it started making sounds as if the gears in the differential were suddenly destroyed.

To make a long story short, the motor mount screws must not have been quite tight enough. The engine had slide forward on the chassis just enough to cause a bad mesh between the layshaft (where the stock brakes function) and the main differential gear. I did not drive long enough to notice if the brakes were acting funny, but I have front cable brakes, anyway.

Try this....stand yours up on its rear end. Loosen the four engine mount screws on the bottom of the chassis and seat the motor tighter against the differential gears for a good mesh and re-tighten them. Set the car down flat and turn both rear wheels in the same direction at the same time.

If the gears don't make any clanking noises, you may have just solved the problem; give it a test run. If something still sounds wrong, you may need to disassemble the rear end to get to the differential and check those gears.

I hope this helps....couldn't hurt.

Good Luck!

Old 09-25-2005, 12:18 PM
Mad Wax

If you push the car forward it should be pretty silent with smooth meshing, if it makes a gritty sound the engine has probably slid forward or back. Move the engine around (forward/back) and just push it back and forth. You'll notice the difference. Adjust so it's quiet but it has a good meshing.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:15 AM
original.mb

also to check if rear brake is fully functional check the 2 grub screws on rear brake they may have loosened up a touch ?

follow icescreamslicks advice and check mesh on engine + you may need to dismantle rear end as suggested to get to the bottom of the problem