Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Steel gears.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 05:26 PM
mini ripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel gears.

Hello,
I have been spending my hard earned again on my latest toy my FG MT I got me the king cobra alloy gear carrier and the the FG pinnion gear and spurr gear also the FG gear cover.
My question is should the gears make a clunking noise and how do you alter the gear mesh alos the spur gear rubs on the guard I have just bought as well FG one as well.

Cheers

Old 10-07-2005, 06:17 PM
chevyman_de

Default RE: Steel gears.

A clunking noise? No, they shouldn't, but it's difficult to judge a sound by description only.
There's no way to adjust the gear mesh between clutch bell and layshaft, the distance is fix.
It's a well known problem that the 48T spur rubs on the gear cover, no way to change this except by cutting the cover. I'd suggest to get rid of the cover. There's no need for it with all steel gears.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:12 AM
mini ripper

Hi,
Thank you.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:01 PM
hellya

thats the problem with running all steel gears, people like the fact that their gears now last longer but there is no no weak point before your diff or engine, guess what is absorbing all the momentum and energy your diff and engine.
so now with all steel gears you will either blow your engine or blow your rearend...... leave the spur gear in plastic my 2 cents
Old 10-10-2005, 05:50 AM
dtapitcher

If anyone is interested I have some 7071 Aluminum Spur gears (2) I believe they are 46 Tooth. They fit on the Stock gear carrier so nothing else is needed. These were never run, I had them machined because I was killing the plastic ones, but it took 4 weeks to machine them and I ordered steel ones while I was waiting and now I hardly ever use my MB. If interested email me [email protected]