Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Newbies!

Old 10-10-2005, 12:56 PM
tizdaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbies!

Just thought i'd make this post as ive just finished going through the 80+ pages in this topic!

Found ALOT of good/useful info/tips/advice/vids etc about large scale RC :-)

So, if your a newbie (like myself) to large scale RC, take time & have a good browse through all the pages... Im getting my FG MB on wdenesday & already i know alot of useful tips for it :-)

On a side note!
Mad Wax - 9/10 all you seem to do is say how rubbish they are compared to the Buggy's! ..which explains why you prob tried to change my mind on getting the buggy instead of a MB when all i asked in my post was it a good price/deal i was getting! & after reading the 100's of posts about the MB... im 100% happy i chose the MB :-)

One poor chap just made a simple post to ask for opinions on his spray job he did for his wifes MB (which was dman nice!), then you jump on the thread & begin to say how poor & rubbish the MB is compared to a buggy! lol

Maybe when you see posts with "MB" as the header, probably a good idea for you to just ignore them as its clear you dont like MB's/Trucks & have a 100 biased opinon which is useless for someone who is debating on which one to get :-) I read many posts of people who own both the MB & Leopard/Marder & they give good explanations on the strenghts/weaknesses for the 2 different types instead of one biased opinon from someone who has never owned a MB!?

Old 10-10-2005, 01:02 PM
dazzahughesuk

Default RE: Newbies!

I am not a newbie, i have had both a Marder race and a MB, which the latter i have sold. There was a thread that i started and is now deleted. Basicially the MB in stock form is a terrible car as it not up for racing and is not really up for bashing thats for the MT and for racing the Marders are perfict. The MB is somewhere inbetween the two.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:04 PM
thopper

I am thinking large scale as well and have beenreading alot to figure it all out. I am leaning towards the Marder Beetle, good compromise, have you looked at this version? It is a Marder fitted with MT Beetle wheels and tires and different gearing to accomodate them.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:08 PM
tizdaz

Aye i agree with you there about stock being not great, but then again *most* rc cars/trucks that come as stock are weak unless we pay extra to have alloy parts instead if we are buying the kit from new, but in time we do the upgrades our selves (such as alloy) on stock parts that are weak

Its all down to value for money i guess, in the end i know i will have my MB hopped up wit alot of alloy instead of the stock plastic, will just take time & money
Old 10-10-2005, 01:15 PM
dazzahughesuk

That is absolutely true mate.
But to convery a MB or MT to all alloy is a lot more do$h than say buying a HT1, SuperX or a BX1. I know these are buggs, butstill are cheaper and a better car to start off with so you can make that even better, unlike with a stock Marder MB or MT which you only would make good, not great.

Darren

ORIGINAL: rctruckz

Aye i agree with you there about stock being not great, but then again *most* rc cars/trucks that come as stock are weak unless we pay extra to have alloy parts instead if we are buying the kit from new, but in time we do the upgrades our selves (such as alloy) on stock parts that are weak

Its all down to value for money i guess, in the end i know i will have my MB hopped up wit alot of alloy instead of the stock plastic, will just take time & money
Old 10-10-2005, 01:15 PM
tizdaz

Not too sure about the Marder beetle, but im sure someone else will give good info about it

Reason why i went for the MB Pro is ive come from the 1/10 scene & ive always liked/owned nitro trucks, as soon i found out the MB Pro was basically a MT with a beetle shell i thought this was for me as i like the look of the MB & i also like Trucks :-) ...im soon getting the FG Stadium Truck shell which looks damn nice (better than any 1/10 truck shells ive seen!) & should be no probs switching from the beetle shell & the Truck shell as & when i feel like :-)
Old 10-10-2005, 01:17 PM
kiora

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you all Mad? the Mb is a great car. Its no good on a dry race track though, but on a wet muddy track it can beat leopards, marders you name it, amazing grip , roll on the winter. I can only speak of mine but in stock form its a great basher not much of a jumper but a good basher. Stick in a quarry and its as happy as pig in sh*t.

Admittidly it can be improved no end with alloy and shocks etc but in its basic form its a good car.

My MB can go places where my marder just grinds to halt which I think is the point. So roll on wednesday you'll love it.

See ya
col.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:25 PM
tizdaz

Thanks Kiora

Cant wait till i see the delivery van pull up!.. I will prob run out & rip the box out of his hands j/k
Old 10-10-2005, 01:31 PM
quantum2plus2

I used to own a marder and now own a FG monster truck. They both drive differant which they are bound to as they are totally differant classes of car.
Ive been racing r/c cars for longer than I want to admit and I think that the FG monster truck drives great.
I am only running the engine in at the moment but it can manage powerslides with ease.
The guys who are compaining about the FG monsters always beeing upside down want to learn that the throttle is not a switch (always on or off) but its progressive. You dont drive a real car with full throttle or no throttle (well maybe some of you do[:-]) so why would you drive a model car any differant.

OK I realise that a lot of people are going to disagree but remember the r/c car only does what you tell it too.
Maybe someone should set up a r/c car driving school
Old 10-10-2005, 01:37 PM
tizdaz

ORIGINAL: quantum2plus2
the r/c car only does what you tell it too.
So true! ..backflips/wheelies are easy to control with good use of throttle, ...one of the things i am looking forward to is wheelies on demand...size of the MB with its front wheels off the ground looks cool imo!
Old 10-10-2005, 01:45 PM
radio_controlled_mad

So true! ..backflips/wheelies are easy to control with good use of throttle

why didnt i think of that!!

one of the things i am looking forward to is wheelies on demand...size of the MB with its front wheels off the ground looks cool imo!

novelty sharp wears off even with a wheely bar

post some pics once you get you mb - shouldnt be too long as kevs uses next day overnight couriers
Old 10-10-2005, 02:32 PM
tizdaz

Will get some pics up as soon its here (he said id get it wednesday )

Ordered the paint from him too, i wanted metalic black but theres a shortage of it atm so ive gone for bright yellow with flat black
Old 10-10-2005, 02:53 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

I think the manual discourages wheelies during the break-in period.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:57 PM
tizdaz

dont worry i wont be doing wheelies during break in will just be doing low-med throttle runs for 2-3 tanks to make sure its ran in properly

after that.............well
Old 10-10-2005, 03:01 PM
kiora

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woah! backup a bit. Who said the throttle isnt a switch? could they elaborate as I'm not familiar with that concept.

the wheelies are great to look at but you try steering with the front wheels in the air. even on short 2 - 5m straights. Still, does look good

Col.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:14 PM
tizdaz

hehe aye

I used to like popping wheelies on demand wit my 1/10 XT trucks going 60mph+ ...although these aint fast, they are ALOT bigger (bigger better imo!)
Old 10-10-2005, 03:14 PM
thopper

Actually I meant the Big Foot Marder not the beetle Marder. You can get from that European hobby shop...name escapes me. You get Big foot wheels and tires , different gears on a Marder buggy and can add ball drives for 60Euro. It comes with the buggy body not the Beetle body...I am thinking of this. Cost is 700 euro I believe. Looks like the best of all worlds
Old 10-10-2005, 03:25 PM
tizdaz

Aye that was the other one i was looking at, if i was to choose one of the buggys it would have definately been the Bigfoot in the end i went for the MB Pro (same chassis as MT/8shocks ali sides etc) which will allow me to swap bodys to the stadium truck body with ease & the fact i like MB bodys

but the Bigfoot does look tasty
Old 10-11-2005, 04:02 AM
original.mb

rctrucks

MB is awesome i managed to get one of the first batch from kcr.

i have owned an mb for over a year now and it actually handles better out of the box comapred to the bouncy mt suspension and roll-over turns the mt is prone to do due to the extra 4 shocks and stiff suspension. the only thing i would like of the mt is the pickup shell other than that the mb rocks and is one tuff cookie and thats stock

welcome to the big ladz club
Old 10-11-2005, 04:44 AM
Mad Wax

Veron he bought the MB Pro which most likely handles identically to the MT handling (8 shocks) oh and apart from the higher ground clearance the buggies probably have better handling. You don't get full scale monster trucks nipping around a small racetrack.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:33 AM
original.mb

mad wax

i think rctruckz was referring to the mb? which i was anyway not the pro version that you mentioned which is identical to mt minus the pickup shell.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:10 AM
quantum2plus2

Veron look at his post. He has bought the MB pro.
I think you guys should give the MB pro/MT a bit more of a chance.
I have my MT driving exactly as I want[8D].
It does not roll when cornering and is not bouncy if you take the time to set the suspention up.
I have never bought a r/c car and used the stock suspention setup. Even my race cars have differant springs, shock oils and shock valves/plates.
Its the same as anything the makers always set the suspention up as a compromise for differant people/uses.
It doesn't cost that much to fine turn suspention (starting with shock oils etc).
If you think your marder/leopard/mb handles ok with the stock setup I think you may be shocked at the differance a bit of fine tuning can make.
OK a bit of experience probably helps but what better way to learn. We all had to start somewhere.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:40 AM
original.mb

quantum

i hear ya' budd

i'm not slagging the mt set-up off i'm just saying out of the box the bug deffo handles better due to having 4 less shocks and thats it really
Old 10-11-2005, 11:27 AM
tizdaz

Aye i bought a MB Pro

I will have a play around with the shocks till i find a setting thats right for me, As for running about small race tracks, theres no track near me for any off road nitro/engine (never has been )..i will mainly be using it at a forest (theres a skills area there for MTB's/BMX's) where ground clearance will come in very handy :-)

Im not too fussed about the handling, If i wanted a perfect handling RC, I would have chose a 4WD 1/8 inferno as the handling on these is very nice & they are designed for racing in mind, Ive bought my MB with fun in mind I knew when i bought my XT's the handling was poor on them due to a 21. engine strapped to a 1/10 chassis & 2WD.. but after a year i ended up buying another one for my son as they are a damn fun truck to drive even though handling is probaly the poorest handling on any 1/10 scale nitro, Im sure im gunna have alot of fun with my MB, even more so once i get it hopped-up

But the main reason why i went for the MB Pro (& not MB) was because i like trucks but i also liked the look of a 1/6 scale beetle body & to switch from one to the other with MB Pro is a very easy job that will cost next to nothing (apart from the body itself ofc!), soon i will be getting the Stadium body instead of spending another £700+ for the stadium truck all i need to do is spend around £60 for the body, then i can use a truck or beetle when ever i feel like

If i bought one of the buggy's i would have wasted ALOT of money. Converting it to a monster / buying a new body or 2 if i wanted the beelte & stadium as i would not use the buggy style body as it aint my thing (so 2 new body's: about £120) & even then ive read about it being very difficult to fit a MB or Truck body onto a buggy chassis such as the leopard/marder, then the upgrades to the chassis/wheels/tyres (prob at least another £300+) so this price ontop of the buggy its self which would have been the leopard race as this would be the only one i would have chose due to the hop-ups it already has ....would have cost around the £1000 mark

Instead i spent £820 ..& got all my radio gear/charger/batterys/steel spur gear etc

Lets say i just decided to get a Monster or Buggy without radio gear etc...just the model its self.......
£1000 = Leopard race converted to a MB/Truck (Pro...if its even possible?)
or
£1000 = MB Pro Tuned pipe & more alloy parts than what the leopard race would have given me for the same price & the fact i dont need to fiddle about trying to make a monster body fit

To me, its all about fun as racing aint my thing, just my opinion but racing takes alot of fun out of it tbh!

I think i made the right choice & its here tommorrow & im 99.9% sure i wont regret it & i cant wait to get the stadium body

So there ya have it... my own opinion which i know some people will agree/disagree! :P , but to say one model is better than another & which it is... is impossible, due to the fact theres many different aspects of this hobby, theres alot more to it than just handling & each type of RC vehicle has its strengths & weaknesses opposed to another..its all down to what the individual wants out of the hobby as to what model he/she chooses to go with

In the end... choose one & have fun!
Old 10-12-2005, 07:32 AM
original.mb

enjoy my friend its an awesome sport

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.