RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Where can I buy Solo cylinder/piston???

Old 10-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Where can I buy Solo cylinder/piston???

Does anyone know where i can buy them from?

i need Cylinder, piston, and piston ring
Old 10-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Where can I buy Solo cylinder/piston???

it looks like RC nut hobbies has them,

all together they will cost me about $200 with shipping and stuff, no way iam paying that much money, i rather buy a brand new zenoah engine

and it would cost me about $70 bux to buy a bran dnew piston, cylinder, and ring for a G230
Old 10-11-2005, 02:32 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a similar 'It will cost X to fix it and X plus a little more' to buy new. I just bought a G260RC from Dave's Discount Motors. It was about $300 shipped to my door. I got the one with the new clutch premounted (apparently these are not a lot of fun to install without the right tools), new carb, muffler and air cleaner. It fits great on my Firehammer. I am almost ready to fire it up for the first time in the next couple of days.

DDM shipped the same day. I ordered around lunchtime eastern time and it was in the air that night from Utah.

Ken
Old 10-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeh that is what i am gonna do, DDM is awesome, i prolly ordered more than $1000 worth of stuff from them, i also had gopeds.

I don't know if that inner clutch will work with my FG

I am gonna buy G230 and later modify it with REED.
But does anyone know which one revs higher? the 23 or 26? I am guessing the 23.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:32 PM
kengentry5000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The clutch should be fine on your FG. It looks identical to the clutch on my CY engine that the Firehammer came with.

I talked to Dave on the phone at DDM and he was the one who mentioned the clutch install hassle. I will learn how to install a clutch someday but for now I just want my car rolling again.

I saw a dyno sheet somewhere recently for G230 and G260. I don't recall which had higher revs. I opted for the 26cc because it was just a liitle more than the 23cc and gave me almost 1/2 HP more.

Someone else on the forum put it well, 'There no replacement for displacement'

Ken
Old 10-11-2005, 03:36 PM
radio_controlled_mad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

clutch is pain to fit or even harder to remove without the correct tools - you need a puller to remove the clutch shoes off the tapered crankshaft & a piston stop to lock out the piston/crank when removing the clutch bolts - i think its the same for both cy & zen engines
Old 10-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: radio_controlled_mad

clutch is pain to fit or even harder to remove without the correct tools - you need a puller to remove the clutch shoes off the tapered crankshaft & a piston stop to lock out the piston/crank when removing the clutch bolts - i think its the same for both cy & zen engines

haha i know what your talking about, the bolts that are holding down the clutch...i found a very easy way to remove them...with an air gun...one pop and they come out without even turning the shaft, but i dont have that at my home so i usually give the engine to my dad and he takes it to his work places and removes it and brings it back, he works aat body shop.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:51 PM
kengentry5000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can the new clutch be installed with an air wrench also?
Old 10-11-2005, 04:06 PM
radio_controlled_mad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i suppose you can take the clutch shoes off with a air gun without the engine turning - but you could not take the clutch carrier off that easy - you need a puller and a piston stop - or the chaep way to do it is jam the flywheel with a screwdriver but theres the risk of damaging fins off the rotor,fg multi tool is a clutch/fly wheel puller,bearing remover/pusher and ball socket press all in one - makes those sort of jobs a doddle and only cost £20 - the fg piston stop/piston punch is also cheap at around £6.worth while items for the tool box,there will be a time when you need to change crank gaskets or seals and you will need a puller to remove the crank or rotor to split the engine.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kengentry5000

Can the new clutch be installed with an air wrench also?

oops didnt see your post up there lol

Yeh the 2 bolts on the clutch

take it to any local body shop or mechnaic shop and if they are nice enuff they will do it for you

I remmber i was trying for days to remove them and i could not...with simple tools, then as soon as my dad came over and saw it...he said being it over i will remove them...it took less then 10 second for him to remove them
Old 10-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: radio_controlled_mad

i suppose you can take the clutch shoes off with a air gun without the engine turning - but you could not take the clutch carrier off that easy - you need a puller and a piston stop - or the chaep way to do it is jam the flywheel with a screwdriver but theres the risk of damaging fins off the rotor,fg multi tool is a clutch/fly wheel puller,bearing remover/pusher and ball socket press all in one - makes those sort of jobs a doddle and only cost £20 - the fg piston stop/piston punch is also cheap at around £6.worth while items for the tool box,there will be a time when you need to change crank gaskets or seals and you will need a puller to remove the crank or rotor to split the engine.
Yeh that one is lil bit tricky, i never had to remove that bolt, but i think if you take out the pullstarter and you will see another bolt on that side...so i assume if you can hold that one, and then try to unscrew the front one and it might work?
Old 10-11-2005, 04:21 PM
radio_controlled_mad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

good idea to use windy gun to remove clutch shoes from carrier

fg multi tool

http://www.rossendalemodels.co.uk/in...3bc6889bcb19d8

fg piston stop

http://www.rossendalemodels.co.uk/in...3bc6889bcb19d8

edit: the bolt on the fly wheel side is also on turns the same way so you cant use it as leverage to unscrew the bolt on the clutch side,the flywheel and clutch carrier are bolted onto a tapered crankshaft so even if you do manage to get the bolts out you still need a puller to remove them from crank as they will not budge even with bolts removed.to stop the engine from turning you just remove the sparkplug and screw in the alloy piston stop and thats it locked up - much easier to work on,all the fg tools you need is around £30 which is nothing in comparison of the model price - or even how much your lhs would charge for doing a small engine repair.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:07 PM
MrMikeG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The cranks are only pinned in the middle, any twisting can easily twist your crank. Never jam the flywheel to remove the clutch. Even piston stops can twist the crank. A small sterring wheel puller will easily remove the clutch once you get the center bolt out. Putting it on is easy with just hand tools, no air gun needed. As you run it the torque of the engine actually turns the way to tighten it so you never have to worry.