Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 02:20 PM
whitek
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio problems

Hello all, I just installed electrics in my car and getting some glitching. I am using a FM radio with regular servos and a Novak receiver. The only thing I can imagine wrong is the Hitec crystal in the receiver but using a Fytaba synthesized radio. Can somebody help??
Old 10-19-2005, 02:35 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Radio problems

Do you have a failsafe installed? [] My original failsafe caused my radio system to glitch.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:13 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

I had a glitching problem with my Duratrax Firehammer after installing a Hitec 5945 throttle/brake servo. The battery had plenty of charge but the failsafe kept on switching into safe mode (it has an LED status to indicate if it is in safe mode). I had my local hobby shop program the Hitec's built in failsafe and removed the Duratrax failsafe. I have not had a problem since. I test the failsafe functionality of the servo before every run.

My theory on what was happening: The servo was pulling so much current when operating that the voltage would drop on the battery temporarily. The failsafe would see this drop and think the battery was low and kick in to safe mode. The servo would stop pulling current in safe mode and the voltage would return to normal. The failsafe would then allow the servo to return to it's previous state. It would do this repeatedly while running with the separate failsafe.

If you have a Hitec servo with built in failsafe you can use the Hitec field programmer to set the built in failsafe. My local hobby shop had the programmer so I bought the servo from them so they would help me program it.

Your situation may be different but that is what I had happening. What servo do you have connected to the failsafe? How do you charge your batteries? Are you using a trickle charger or a good 'delta V' charger? I charge my packs at 3 amps with a cutoff between 10 - 30 millivolts. If you are using a trickle charger you may not be getting a good charge on the battery.

Ken
Old 10-19-2005, 05:18 PM
kiora

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: whitek

Hello all, I just installed electrics in my car and getting some glitching. I am using a FM radio with regular servos and a Novak receiver. The only thing I can imagine wrong is the Hitec crystal in the receiver but using a Fytaba synthesized radio. Can somebody help??
Hello, I'm not sure about your exact setup but it important to match makers on 40mhz FM it seems. The crystals, Rx & Tx on 27mhz AM anything goes almost but on 40mhz FM everything is fussy.

There are a few combinations that work but not many. I know from experience that hitec and futaba dont mix well at all, I had a futaba Tx and hitec Rx and crystals, not a happy combination.

Try to match everything to the handset, it should work out cheaper that way.

See ya
Col.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:33 AM
HeatFire

as for as i know the best way to get rid of this glitch... sjdfksdf is to buy a Spektrum
if you mostly gonna bash a Spektrum DX3 would fit i think

ofcourse.. this is IMO..
Old 10-20-2005, 06:33 AM
whitek

Thanks for the advice from everyone. I dont think my servos have built in failsafe's. I am using Hitecs 645, 635 and 705 with no failsafe in the mix yet. I know what a dummy right!!!! I just threw everything in to play around. Anyways my battery pack is a NIMH 33 or 3400, dont remember I am at work. The charger is a Duratraxx Ice something or other. Very fancy if you ask me. Not mine I borrowed it from a friend. I guess what I should do then is buy a single FM 75mhz RX crystal for my receiver along with a failsafe and try it again. Thanks again
Old 10-20-2005, 08:41 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

The ICE charger is supposed to be very nice so you're good there. The packs will be good for several tanks before needing recharge.

Definitely get a failsafe on that car ASAP. I had a runaway once and it was not pretty - it can also be very dangerous.

Do you have the 645 and 635 running throttle and brake separately?
Old 10-21-2005, 12:36 AM
whitek

Yeah, the 645 is for the front brakes and the 635 for throttle and rear brake. They are on separate channels. It seems weird because up close 5-10 ft there is no glitching, however 20-30 ft and it starts going wacky.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:00 AM
MrMikeG

Check your antenna for continuity, it could be broken inside the insulation.
Does your antenna point straight up? The higher it is the better range you will have.
I have heard in the past that Novac receivers have range difficulties.