Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

2 F1 COMP - or Not 2 F1 COMP? HELP

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

2 F1 COMP - or Not 2 F1 COMP? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 03:37 PM
rfaster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 F1 COMP - or Not 2 F1 COMP? HELP

Ok - so the real question for me is ..." Beyond the COOL factor of owning/running a F1 Comp Kit..." and I should add that I need another FG kit like a hole in my head. I'm compelled to buy a new (not crazy about used F1's) Comp F1 (not sure about Cable or Hydro) kit. When I first saw the F1 it was in a pic and I was not that compelled by it - to me it looked like the cheap plastic ones you see at the Toy Store --- BUT --- over time I have grown to want this KIT. I have been thinking about picking up a FG street kit for some time and came to the conclusion that If I'm going to get one I'd prefer to go with the F1.

Reasons not to spend 3K on this Kit -

1 - I have no place to run - no club or group that runs here that I know of other than the Rams Club but I think they are primarily 8th and 10th scale (Please correct me if I'm wrong).
2 - I have no exp with onroad large scale - I used to run 1/8th Serpent's - but got tired of that quickly due to only being able to run on a clean track - even a pebble was disasterous.
3 - Probably will end up running it parking lot a few times and then it will sit.

Reasons to spend 3K on F1 Comp -
1 - I want to
2 - Perhaps it will make me feel better about myself []
3 - Oh and I want one.

Ok -that's all I could come up with.

Anyone else seriously considering getting a F1 Comp - and live in an area where no one races/runs these?
Old 10-21-2005, 03:40 PM
JustxOnce
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: 2 F1 COMP - or Not 2 F1 COMP? HELP

I feel your Pain there buddy. I am feelin for a FG COMPETITION RACE TRUCK

DAMN THIS HOBBY.........
Old 10-21-2005, 03:47 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

If you're talking about the "Big Rig" looking models from FG then you lost me. I don't understand the desire to have a on-road car with a semi truck cab body on it. Help me understand the fascination there? If FG made trailers to go with the truck and the cab had a "fifth wheel" maybe I could see it.

Ken
Old 10-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Mad Wax

ORIGINAL: kengentry5000

If you're talking about the "Big Rig" looking models from FG then you lost me. I don't understand the desire to have a on-road car with a semi truck cab body on it. Help me understand the fascination there? If FG made trailers to go with the truck and the cab had a "fifth wheel" maybe I could see it.

Ken
He's talking about the Formula 1 car.
Personally if I were to go into onroad I would probably pick Porsche onroad - alot of difference in price and unless doing serious racing probably good enough for us mere mortals.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:17 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

I was reffering to the comment about 'Competition Race Truck', not F1.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Mad Wax

ah right you were replying to justxonce. The cabs do look ok, but I guess would want more scale appearence to them -4 or 8 wheels on the rear axle(s)

But to answer OP really unless you have a large track or a huge empty car park with no kerb islands or lamp posts to smack into the middle of the area, or a industrial estate park area I wouldn't get a expensive F1 onroader.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:00 PM
rfaster

I also like the Racing Trucks - especially the CAT LOGO'd Truck. Problem is that when I take the truck top off - I'm left with a sedan...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92953.gif
Views:	11
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	342061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42777.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	342063  
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2005, 05:13 PM
rfaster

This is what I'm talking about. Would be nice to see folks who own F1's to POST their pics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63809.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	342073  
Old 10-21-2005, 07:47 PM
JustxOnce
My Feedback: (7)

I want the CAT version
Old 10-21-2005, 08:25 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a comp f1 and it was a really nice machine. I never raced, just drove in front of my house with it. I also owned the the regular one also. Cant really say I could tell much difference driving in front of the house with either. I got bored with them and sold them. I prefer the 1/4 scale stuff and dont think I will go back to the smaller stuff anymore.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:53 PM
rfaster

Quarter - Did you buy your F1's new? Did you sell them for close to what you had into or...? I'm assuming that over time I too would be bored running - but seems like a good idea at the moment :-)
ORIGINAL: quarterscalelegends

I had a comp f1 and it was a really nice machine. I never raced, just drove in front of my house with it. I also owned the the regular one also. Cant really say I could tell much difference driving in front of the house with either. I got bored with them and sold them. I prefer the 1/4 scale stuff and dont think I will go back to the smaller stuff anymore.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:07 PM
wyattroa

Hey check out this F1 it isnt a comp but i was looking into and he is willing to ship anywhere. i emailed him and asked and he said he would ship it. does not seem like that bad of a deal to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

ORIGINAL: rfaster

Quarter - Did you buy your F1's new? Did you sell them for close to what you had into or...? I'm assuming that over time I too would be bored running - but seems like a good idea at the moment :-)

Old 10-22-2005, 05:20 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The comp was new, the other one was used. The used one I just about got my monies worth. The Comp I lost hard on. I think off-road is a bit better for just bashing around since you can drive up into your yard and then over the curb and back out onto the street.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:19 AM
rfaster

Ha - I agree - but think my only solution will be to have a few of each...

The comp was new, the other one was used. The used one I just about got my monies worth. The Comp I lost hard on. I think off-road is a bit better for just bashing around since you can drive up into your yard and then over the curb and back out onto the street.