Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Tell me more!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 11:15 PM
egressman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me more!

Hello,

I picked this car up from a guy who knew nothing about it. I have it up and running for the most part. A few run ins with the cirbs have created some shock issues for me. I need shocks and new tires. I also need a gear replaced. I would also like to get more speed out of it? What scale is it? Here is what I know about it;

Tires are 2.75" wide, 5.5" dia. The rims are 3.875 dia. Shocks are 6" fully extended, springs are 1"dia 3.5" long The car has a 22 CC motor on it made by Kyosho (Robin). I don't even know whay kind of body was on it?

The car is about 1' wide and 2' nose to tail.

Any help would be great! A value would be a plus$$

Egressman
Old 10-24-2005, 11:23 PM
hellya

Default RE: Tell me more!

2-3 photos would help
Old 10-24-2005, 11:46 PM
jimbo1890

It's a bit hard to guess from your info but if it looks like this it is a very early model FG Marder
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62714.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	343743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11800.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	343744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16986.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	343745  
Old 10-25-2005, 02:30 AM
radio_controlled_mad

ORIGINAL: egressman

Tires are 2.75" wide, 5.5" dia. The rims are 3.875 dia. Shocks are 6" fully extended, springs are 1"dia 3.5" long The car has a 22 CC motor on it made by Kyosho (Robin). I don't even know whay kind of body was on it?

The car is about 1' wide and 2' nose to tail.

Any help would be great! A value would be a plus$$

Egressman

sounds like its kyoshos attempt of the marder clone/petrol rc from 10 years ago (i think there called infernos) - they were in production for a 3 years or so,but they were outclassed when fg changed from robin to zenoah engines bad new is they stopped making parts for these about 6 years ago but im sure some fg parts can be used like shocks and wheels.

just because a nitro company brings out a petrol r/c dont mean there going to have huge success - its one thing the car looking good and wanting one - its another parting with $900 without knowing the part support.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:49 AM
chevyman_de

radio_controlled_mad is right, that must be the vintage Kyosho large scale car. Its name was ARC Racing Buggy (Inferno is the 1/8 line). It was available in two configurations: The buggy with a body shell similar to Marder or Firehammer and a rally car with a Lancia Delta Integrale or Toyota Celica body shell. Judging by the tire size it must be the rally car, since the buggy tires were bigger. No way to get one of these body shells or tires again, except someone has one of them somewhere in his barn.

FG wheels will fit, tires of that diameter could be a problem. The use of FG touring car rims and rubber should be possible, switching to FG touring car front uprights will be necessary. But this would limit the use to on-road tires.

FG gears should fit as well, maybe not exactly a straight bolt-on, but they can be made to fit. The same for the shocks.

I can't remember the length of the dogbones, no idea whether FG is compatible or not.

Performance wise it makes little sense to temper with this car. Compared to the current engines the Robin can't pull anything bigger than a dead cat. But there are no Zenoah engine mounts available for this car. If you want more, go for a different car. Frankly speaking I would advise the same anyway, it can be frustrating to keep a car running that's out of production for almost a decade.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:00 PM
egressman

Thanks for the info, I couldn't get the pictures to load up. I did get then to load in my post in the General RE Forum. Check them out there and give me a read.

Egressman
Old 10-25-2005, 01:06 PM
hellya

Thanks for the info, I couldn't get the pictures to load up. I did get then to load in my post in the General RE Forum. Check them out there and give me a read.

Egressman
Your pictures

Name:	Jh17285.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	343926  
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2005, 01:14 PM
radio_controlled_mad

nice muesem piece
Old 10-25-2005, 01:30 PM
hellya

somthing smells fishy[&:]

Name:	Lj23846.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	343930  
Old 10-25-2005, 02:08 PM
egressman

Your english is great! Are you english or American living in Germany. I live in Bitburg Germany, I am an American living over here. Sounds like you nailed it. I have pictures, I couldn't get them to post. I made my first post in the general forum, you can see the pictures there. Is this thing worth any money? I gave 50 bucks for it and have spent 20 on batteries only. It has paid for it self in the fun my son and I have had with it. I like to tinker a bit and it gave me something to do.

Thanks for your help!

Egressman
Old 10-25-2005, 03:38 PM
chevyman_de

Are you english or American living in Germany.
No, I'm not. Just a German living in Germany. I wish I would live that close to Luxembourg, it would make driving a supercharged fullsize pickup much easier (less expensive). Their gas prices are much more driver friendly than ours.

I've already found your other posting via your profile. The car is the rally version of the ARC buggy. Was the rc system included? It is an old system, but a very good one. I have the same transmitter. Not as many features as the current 3PK, but nevertheless a very reliable system. Just make sure that you use a soldered/welded transmitter battery. I had to learn that single AA-NiCads in a box tend to have problem every now and then. Sometimes they almost loose contact between two cells in a row, the transmitter senses a voltage drop and starts the "low bat" beeper. You slap the transmitter and the problem is gone. At least for the moment. Stay with the factory battery and this should never occur.

For the money you paid - with rc? - you will get plenty of fun from the car. Don't try to modify the engine and it will last a long time. If you buy new tires you can opt for Marder tires and rims. Their bigger diameter will give you more top speed, if you want to correct the gear ratio FG parts are available. You could install a tuned pipe muffler which will boost performance. The gain will be noticeable, but the performance will always stay lightyears behind the current engines. The good news: the header for a Zenoah will fit after some minor modification to the bolt pattern, so you can use the exhaust system for a different car in the future. The bad news: The exhaust system will be more expensive than the car itself.

Sorry, but the car is not exactly a collectible. Restoring it to its original condition is not worth the effort, but it will make a good entry level large scale car for your DS. At least as long as there are no other (read: late model) cars around.

Regarding a body shell: a good dealer should give you the possibility to try several body shells when you bring your car in. Of course you will have to do some work on the body mounts as the original shell is no longer available and mounts from a different manufacturer can't be expected to be a direct fit.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:53 PM
MrMikeG

You could fit a Zenoah 23cc 2 port helicopter cylinder and piston to it and then use standard Zenoah Carb and Exhaust, The Robin Case and crank match up to the old Zenoah 2 ports. Not sure what you would have to do for a Coil mount or not but at least it is a way to "tinker" without breaking the bank.