Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

TOP SPEED?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 02:58 PM
wyattroa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOP SPEED?

I was just wondering what the top speed of some of the onroad cars are. i have heard of people putting in the two speed and it being more of a headach then anything else...what kind of speed would you get out of an onroad with a 2speed in it?
robert
Old 11-02-2005, 03:21 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: TOP SPEED?

Don't know about the two-speed part but an FG dealer I work with runs FG EVO on-road (NASCAR bodies on a banked oval track) and FG Comp Formula 1 cars. He said the EVOs were running 45 - 50 miles per hour with tuned pipe. He said the Formula 1 cars were hitting 80 miles per hour in a good straight section.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:59 PM
mnf1sand

It all depends on what you want to do to them, mod engines, gearing, two speeds, pipes, tires. We have seen 104mph (real speed not scale) out of a monster truck. I know we could push a sedan faster.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:10 PM
wyattroa

wow wow and another one hell of a wow.
robert
ORIGINAL: mnf1sand

It all depends on what you want to do to them, mod engines, gearing, two speeds, pipes, tires. We have seen 104mph (real speed not scale) out of a monster truck. I know we could push a sedan faster.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:35 PM
sb racing

ORIGINAL: mnf1sand

104mph monster truck[X(]
Old 11-02-2005, 06:51 PM
wyattroa

VIDEO i want to see a video.. on a side not anyone have any videos of there sedans running...
robert
Old 11-02-2005, 09:43 PM
busa 2002
My Feedback: (4)

what truck went that fast sorry would like to see that if a weed wacker motor no way not enough rpm only electic motors like cliff letts been 112 world record.monster truck to big tires robb too much pavement power.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:39 PM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

104mph large scale MT is quite an achievement, is there any proof of this at all?

RCCA had to undergo quite a lot of trouble to have a heavily modified Super Nitro with a Nova .21 engine to get it up to 100mph - which it did.

With large scale cars having much worse power/weight ratio than nitro cars, it would take quite an extraordinary effort to get it up to 100mph.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:42 PM
mnf1sand

a one off mod motor, highest geared sedan 2-speed, a set of beadlocks for weight to keep it on the ground, plus 1.5 miles to get it up to speed and stop. its not that hard to believe, there have been several sedans in the 90's in the last couple years. same gearing with alot more tire diameter.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Canadian_RC
Banned

ORIGINAL: gonsped69

104mph large scale MT is quite an achievement, is there any proof of this at all?

RCCA had to undergo quite a lot of trouble to have a heavily modified Super Nitro with a Nova .21 engine to get it up to 100mph - which it did.

With large scale cars having much worse power/weight ratio than nitro cars, it would take quite an extraordinary effort to get it up to 100mph.
Hahahaha, worse power to weight ratio, I dont think so.

Nitro .28 motor, best tuned pipe for that motor, 10lb truck.

2hp
80oz/in torque

FG MT w/Zenoah 26cc engine, Samba 3 pipe, 24lb truck.

5.3hp
440oz/in torque.

You do the math.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:42 PM
rfaster
My Feedback: (1)

Wyattroa - did you get your sedan yet??
ORIGINAL: wyattroa

I was just wondering what the top speed of some of the onroad cars are. i have heard of people putting in the two speed and it being more of a headach then anything else...what kind of speed would you get out of an onroad with a 2speed in it?
robert
Old 11-03-2005, 12:05 AM
J_D

where was the test done? an airstrip? man thats a long way to get up to speed :P
Old 11-03-2005, 12:47 AM
gonsped69

The only logical reasoning would be to use an abandoned/empty airstrip/highway and trail it with a car.

Canadian RC - forgetting offroad, just comparing onroads 1/8th and 1/5th (also negating the effect of rubber tires) - 1/8 cars still outperform 1/5 in acceleration and top speed. It will simply get there quicker whichever way you put it.

High end modified 3.5cc motors can get up to 3.5HP and beyond. 0-120km/hr in 2-3 seconds for a top end 8th scale onroad - doesn't take a genius to work that out.

Torque does not directly translate to faster speed.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:29 AM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

The torque is applied HP and has everthing to do with getting up to speed actually. As I have said before, HP is nothing if you don't have torque... Torque is what over comes the weight and allows the horsies to pull.

I don't doubt that 104 MPH is possible, but the gearing would have to be extremely high (a crawling start) and the engine probably extremely modified. I have heard of some 29cc engines pushing 7-8 hp modded out (don't remember where.. I think on RCU, but I'll look). That is some insane HP numbers for a weedwacker motor. Anyway, Nitro is no faster than Gas from my experience. With both engines modded the same (Nitro vs Gas) the gas would win simply because the Nitro motor (at WOT) would blow itself apart before the end of the mile-long runway. Not to mention the traction issues the Nitro would have with it's smaller footprint on the track and less weigh to keep the power planted. In my experiences, Nitro engines do make great power for their size, but they also break under any kind of big stress. Hence the reason most of us got out of Nitro and into Gasoline cars.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:46 AM
Canadian_RC
Banned

The only logical reasoning would be to use an abandoned/empty airstrip/highway and trail it with a car.

Canadian RC - forgetting offroad, just comparing onroads 1/8th and 1/5th (also negating the effect of rubber tires) - 1/8 cars still outperform 1/5 in acceleration and top speed. It will simply get there quicker whichever way you put it.

High end modified 3.5cc motors can get up to 3.5HP and beyond. 0-120km/hr in 2-3 seconds for a top end 8th scale onroad - doesn't take a genius to work that out.

Torque does not translate to faster speed.
There is no way a .21 Nitro engine can mae 3.5hp, period. A .28 (4.6cc) Nitro engine was dynoed and it barley pushes 2hp. And HP = Torque x RPM/5252, so they are directly related. This formula is correct because an engine cannot make more torque than HP above 5252 RPM, and an engine cannot make more HP than torrque below 5252 RPM. HP is a byproduct of torque. The torque curve effects the HP curve, and an engine needs to make top end power to beable to propel a vehicle to high speed. Nitro engines make about 2 times the power of a comparably sized gasoline engine, because you can pack 8 times more Nitro into a cylinder than you can gasoline, but it doesnt translate to 8 times more power, because Nitro fuel has a much lower BTU rating. A Nitro engine would have to be at least 10-12cc to be comparable in power.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:48 AM
gonsped69

I don't wish to start a flame war but I do recall RCCA magazine reviewed the OS .21 VZB back a few months and it was 2.9 or 3.0 BHP on their dyno.

I guess it depends what numbers can you believe as nobody has set a standard for these dyno results yet.

But yes, on a tight, twisty track an 8th scale onroad will destroy a 5th scale car in terms of agility and acceleration. That is what I have seen on our local tracks.

In the long stretch of running, it is a fact that nitro engines do blow from overrevving and gas motors will win. Its actually this reason which made me switch to gas.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:49 AM
Canadian_RC
Banned

ORIGINAL: Acs_guitars

The torque is applied HP and has everthing to do with getting up to speed actually. As I have said before, HP is nothing if you don't have torque... Torque is what over comes the weight and allows the horsies to pull.

I don't doubt that 104 MPH is possible, but the gearing would have to be extremely high (a crawling start) and the engine probably extremely modified. I have heard of some 29cc engines pushing 7-8 hp modded out (don't remember where.. I think on RCU, but I'll look). That is some insane HP numbers for a weedwacker motor. Anyway, Nitro is no faster than Gas from my experience. With both engines modded the same (Nitro vs Gas) the gas would win simply because the Nitro motor (at WOT) would blow itself apart before the end of the mile-long runway. Not to mention the traction issues the Nitro would have with it's smaller footprint on the track and less weigh to keep the power planted. In my experiences, Nitro engines do make great power for their size, but they also break under any kind of big stress. Hence the reason most of us got out of Nitro and into Gasoline cars.
I agree with this. Take a 1/5 scale car with a 26cc engine, and a 1/8 car with a .28 motor, and the gasoline engine will win in bottom end and top end every time, because of the large difference in power to weight ratio. Gasoline engines make more than 5 times the torque of a Nitro engine, more than enough to offset the extra weight.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:50 AM
Apache-

Well concerning top speed....
I found this on the net and they claimed it was 200+ MPH !!!!
And I believe it is true.

It is the fasted rc car I saw so far, though can it be called an rc car stil?
They are taking the RC stuf from the rc car as it is impossible to control anymore at those speeds.
It is not a 2-stroke but nitro powered, well see for yourselves.
Have fun watching

http://www.fazed.org/video/view/?id=96
Old 11-03-2005, 01:52 AM
Canadian_RC
Banned

Here is a dyno sheet for all who are interested, showing a wimpy .28 NovaRossi motor pulling 2hp and 80oz.in torque.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27598.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	348007  
Old 11-03-2005, 01:53 AM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

I don't wish to start a flame war but I do recall RCCA magazine reviewed the OS .21 VZB back a few months and it was 2.9 or 3.0 BHP on their dyno.

I guess it depends what numbers can you believe as nobody has set a standard for these dyno results yet.

I saw that too..... And 100% true - - every dyno is different.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:39 AM
HeatFire

i have no problem beliving you can get a MT to run in 167.371776 km/h =)
i've run 140km/h in a old diesel car.. probebly a happy 40-60hp and 5 gears... and i guess like ... 1400kg (1 400 kilograms = 3 086.47167 pound) (to everont that doesnt know.. google can convert just write like.. 1400kg = ? lb and you will know)

not just every dyno is diffrent ever engine is diffrent to but i guess not much..

well i've heard you can get a nitro do 3+ hp... but i guess the torque will stay low cos of the small cc...
what i've learn is that torque is made from the cc of the engine.. and ofcourse alot more.. but the size maters
not many nitros got as much power as a untuned 23-29cc engine...
Old 11-03-2005, 08:03 AM
J_D

a nitro car would run out of fuel after a mile and a half :P hahaha =)
Old 11-03-2005, 08:51 AM
wyattroa

No the car should be here monday! i had a comp fg and was looking at a 2speed for that in the past but i thought i looked too much like a head ache for me.
robert
ORIGINAL: rfaster

Wyattroa - did you get your sedan yet??
ORIGINAL: wyattroa

robert
Old 11-03-2005, 08:53 AM
thopper

I was clocked running 100+ mph until my shoe blew out....very ugly!
Old 11-03-2005, 09:32 AM
ammdrew

onroad 1/8th scale nitros push the 3 hp range no problem.. RB,s NovaMegas, etc current .28 we see in trucks etc are not race motors like the .21's full mods being run in the onroad cars, most of those motors will not survive in a off road vehicle as the power bands are way off.

This is 1/8th scale onroad 65 feet out of a hairpin, in the middle of a chicane.

Small Cars Unlimited would be the dealer that put the Monster Truck to the 104 MPH range, give ed a call and ask how they achieved the speed.

Bigger CC is not always the answer. but more rpm's will definatly be a factor as we are already limited by the gear ratios.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.