Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Pullstart Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Colin.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pullstart Problems

Took my Beetle out bashing today. After racing around for a while I stopped. Then when I came back to re-start the pull start didn't turn the flywheel... its not touching. Are the black lugs on the pull start meant to touch the metal raised lugs on the flywheel??, because they aren't?!? Could someone post a picture of the flywheel and pullstart?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2005, 09:04 PM
p113

Default RE: Pullstart Problems

ye there ment to touch take off you pull start and pull it slowly the lugs should rise out if they dont thants why. They may ahve been sherd off.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:51 AM
hellya

bet a buck this is your problem
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40446.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	365125  
Old 12-05-2005, 07:07 AM
savage28

They may have been shard off , or because of dirt get inside which causing the black lugs to not touch the flywheel ! this what happened to me !! , try to remove the pull start and check,

good luck.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:39 AM
HeatFire

removing the pullstart is simple and non leathal
you wont have any springs or other stuff flying around
i've heard some having problem with the screw unscrewing itself.. and ofcourse the plastic part cracking..
you should get some alu net and cover some.. it keeps dirt and gras out and it dont overheat the engine.. atleast what i know about.. but you might wanna check it if you drive in a very muddy area
Old 12-07-2005, 06:33 AM
Colin.

Thanks for the replies, I was driving it around in a very muddy bashing spot, as you can see and the pull start got clogged with mud and the starter rachet wouldn't rise out when I pulled the string. So I just cleaned it out and now its working fine.

Cheers
Old 12-07-2005, 07:50 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

You need to take that through a car wash!!! Wonder if they still charge full price for a FG.

I myself have the white version on my FG and a black one on eth Chrome cover I scored off ebay. If the both fail I have 2 aluminum ones too so I'm good to go!!! LOL
Old 12-07-2005, 01:54 PM
hellya

try screening your pully to keep mud and pebbles out, attached the screening to the inside with epoxy or JB weld it will never come off
You can also do this to the oppisite side of the motor to keep debris out of the fan shroud

It allows air to flow for cooling and debris keeps out
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29406.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	366345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75577.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	366346  
Old 12-07-2005, 01:57 PM
HeatFire

that's what i tried to say
that thing really works.. keeps junk out and doesnt overheat the engine well.. i guess if you get it stuck with junk it would keep some air away.. but.. try not to:P
Old 12-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Automan

That works very well hellya, i have had mine that way for a long time now, and it do keep dirt out and problems around that area to a minimal [sm=thumbup.gif]
But although it looks better to put those inside, they do work better if mounted on the outside, i switched mine to the outside after just a run or so, and although looking best inside, the best performance is mounted outside... and that looks good to if you do it right

It doesn't take long time to do, just use some aluminum net and silicone glue and you will have a nice easy made "fan-filter" in no time, and it is worth doing. And if you want complete protection, just take out the engine and put net on the other parts going into the fan area, and you have one thing less to think about

My stock pullstart's haven't broken yet... knock on wood but i guess it depends much on how you use it

Edit: deleted
Old 12-07-2005, 06:34 PM
FGmyzer

ORIGINAL: hellya

try screening your pully to keep mud and pebbles out, attached the screening to the inside with epoxy or JB weld it will never come off
You can also do this to the oppisite side of the motor to keep debris out of the fan shroud

It allows air to flow for cooling and debris keeps out
this works really good, help to keep out B.S.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Colin.

When I took my pull starter off I decided to clean around the engine and took the ignition coil off as well. I am now trying to put it back together again and was just wondering how much gap you leave between the ignition coil and the cooling fan [sm=confused.gif]??
Old 12-09-2005, 05:58 PM
radio_controlled_mad

ORIGINAL: Colin.

When I took my pull starter off I decided to clean around the engine and took the ignition coil off as well. I am now trying to put it back together again and was just wondering how much gap you leave between the ignition coil and the cooling fan [sm=confused.gif]??
putting a buisness card between the ignition coil and the flywheel gives you the gap
Old 12-09-2005, 07:08 PM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

Not the VISA card