Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

small v8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 04:06 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small v8?

can anybody tell me where i can get a small v8 car like the one that was on tooltime? thanks
Old 12-15-2005, 04:43 PM
ibstar

Default RE: small v8?

yeap here
http://www.nvbackflow.com/engines/index.html
or
http://www.conleyprecision.com/
more show than hp though
Old 12-15-2005, 07:03 PM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

I was curious if it would be worthwhile for the big automakers (VW, BMW, Mercedes, etc.) to actually fabricate a real mini scale version of their supercars?

i.e. 1/4 scale SLR McClaren?

Wouldn't this be a nice publicity boost?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:24 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

I think it would be really nifty...wonder why they don't do it.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:56 AM
Automan

ORIGINAL: gonsped69

I was curious if it would be worthwhile for the big automakers (VW, BMW, Mercedes, etc.) to actually fabricate a real mini scale version of their supercars? i.e. 1/4 scale SLR McClaren?

Wouldn't this be a nice publicity boost?

That would be nice gonesped69, but people in general are cheap and that's why the 1/4 market are so small. That's why quality get's lower on products (cause people in general want cheaper products over high quality), and companies moving to cheaper labor countries.

And to get back to the RC bit, this big scale stuff aren't so widely spread as you may think, sure these 1/6 monster trucks monster beatles, buggy's from FG was and is very popular, but still the smaller 1/8 and 1/10 scale are by far the most popular, due mainly to cost of the product, but also a little bit on how easy it is to take with you (compared to those large scale cars). The new small scale 1/18 and 1/24 are the most popular now is what i heard. Hard to really compare fairly how popular 1 product is, cause of the price difference, but what i mean by popular is more like how many that's out there and what is the most popular product people buy, not always what they really want to have.

It's hard for most of us to get money for those more expensive things, but most of us really wants it so bad that we just don't give up saving until we get it... those of us that do believe that there is something special to have that large scale and don't mind the space it do take And i know many of us don't buy these toys just to show of, i know i try to find a good place away from people to enjoy my toys myself or with the company of my brother and father,mother,grandfather, and when we are all there and they want to try my big scale... that's just moments that will be remembered forever with a smile. But mainly it's my brother and i, and those moments are also great, but the best is when the whole family is gathered [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=wink.gif] I try to move my big scale things so nobody will see them and start asking questions etc, it's my hobby things and they are private. Only place i share things is here with you guys, cause i know you have the same solid interest in these things, and are on the same level as myself with interest in mods and hoopups etc [sm=thumbup.gif]
Most of us that buy these big scale buy them cause we like how close they feel to the real thing, a real gasoline engine, the weight, the size is just about right so we don't get the feeling we have to work with a magnifying glass and tweezers

In general i think the RC hobby is quite big, but the RC hobby is divided into several sections like... air, land, sea, and what is still the most popular hobby is probably the computer.
Sure RC hobby is big, but i think it has got smaller in the last 10-15years, as many local RC shops have closed due to less business, and in favor to the net shops, but then most of us complain that we cant get the help we want or get a spare part fast enough etc, i know that i sure miss my local RC shop, those long talks.. even long after closing time, that was so nice and now it's gone

Back on track... I for one would love having that New Era bigfoot with a V8 or a V10 engine.

The big automakers wont go into building a whole 1/5 or 1/4 scale car at all, they sell right's to make bodies of some models to large scale, mainly 1/5.. but that's it. They will keep on selling the rights to make smaller toy cars of some models, and now again big scale.. but they are just cheap plastic toys. I do not think that will change anytime soon.

Would be nice though to have those rally cars and stcc, gt cars in a large scale special made from ideas of the real cars... more specific then the 1/5 are now, that would be very nice....... but quite expensive and probably only the elite drivers to be allowed to drive them
Old 12-16-2005, 09:18 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Putting on my Mercedes marketing/executive hat for a moment...

"Hmmm...I can spend my engineering budget on a full scale car where we make 30 - 50,000 USD per unit OR I can spend my engineering dollars on a small scale version I can make $500 or so per unit on. Which one will help me pay for my children's private school tuition better? Gee, I just can't decide..."

Big car companies are in the business of making big money through volume production of expensive cars with expensive options and expensive service. I wish they had an interest in smaller scale hobby stuff but that is unrealistic. I don't think stockholders would be very amused by such a project either.

Through brand licensing smaller companies that are fanatics about RC can approximate the excitement of a car brand. Usually it is only with body shells but it does make those on-road cars look sweet. I love the Porsche 911 GT1 body for the FG EVO.

Ken
Old 12-16-2005, 12:12 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are right on automan. Although there is a market for premium 1/4 scale cars, its just not large volume. A wise man that was in the 1/4 scale industry for a long time once told me " If you set a selling price of $2500 you will get a ton of people interested that cant buy it, if you set a selling price of $5000 you will only get seriouse potential customers" Think about it, its the truth. If you market 1/4 scale cars for $2500 which is the minimum you could sell such a machine and still make profit, you are going to get a bunch of people that THINK they can buy it but cant. Now if you sell it for $5000 you are only going to get people that have the funds. This aint no poor mans hobby
Old 12-16-2005, 12:19 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kengentry5000,

I dont think any of the 1/5 or 1/4 scale guys license any of the bodies. The cost is waaaay too much. Thats why no large scale MFG's advertise that the bodies are officially licensed. I have a friend that licensed the goodyear logo for use on 1/4 scale tires. It cost in the upwards of 100k to do so. That with the cost of the molds is just not worth the profit you make. Bodies, you need to buy at least 100pcs at a time and lexan does not come standard in the correct size, so it needs to be bought in bulk. It costs about $40 a body to produce, plus about 5k for a pattern. Can you imagine if you had to license the bodies too. Large scale cars would be extinct.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:58 AM
J_D

I think i saw a 1/4 scale conley V8 on ur site quarterscale ??
Old 12-17-2005, 09:34 AM
R.Robinson
Banned

DIG DEEP IN YOU POCKETS for one of those things.

WWW.REPLICAENGINES.com
Old 12-17-2005, 03:46 PM
ibstar

there was a tv program here (clarksons mean machines) i think
where a french gent had build a exact copy of some ole le mans racing Ferrari,
it had everything and was said if you could find a small enough person it would drive as ferrari,
had dry sump engine, 6 speed box plus reverse,
took him like 10 years and 10's of thousands of hours, was very nice but you'd never do anything but look at it
got pals that have fully hopped fgs with all metal part that won't even run if the grass is wet [&:]
cause it gets un shiney,
if it was to expensive there is not going to be enough volume of sales to cover expensive of car, not going to pay £100,000 for a model
Old 12-17-2005, 05:33 PM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

Lol - my intentions wasn't to have the car being sold to the public.

More of an engineering feat to boost interest in the brand and possibly should you have enough money, you may be able to purchase one.

Something like the new Bugatti Veyron but without the "losing money" option