Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Interested in Giant Scale

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 03:13 PM
1CE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in Giant Scale

Hey all i am a 1/8 scale buggy guy (mbx5 prospec) for the most part but have been atracted to off road giant scale recently. It seems to me that the FG models are the most popular, am i correct? Can you guys lead me in the right direction if i were to purchase a giant scale? I like the looks of the monster beatle but i just dont have any experiance with any scale this large. I would like a 4wd drive train (i dont think the MB has this, am i correct?). But i guess i would just like to know what the best is when it comes to this scale. Also what kind of speeds dose an rtr car/truck run at? What kinds of servos do you use? I guess i just want to know what the best is...i'm not looking for a budget truck/car but i dont want to spend a fortune eather. I'm shure there are many other threads similar to this one, if you know of any i would greatly appreciate a link so that you guys dont need to wright the same thing over and over again. What about the smartech? Thanks alot

-1ce
Old 12-22-2005, 03:21 PM
HeatFire

Default RE: Interested in Giant Scale

there are a company called MCD that got 4wd... expensive.. i think 2wd works.. my Marder drove on some bad terrain.. but 60% of the time i got stuck a 4wd would have pulled it out..
i think 30-35mph RTR... on servos and such i dont know.. bought mine RTR bad radio on RTR.. 20-30 feet and it will do some crazy stuff

you should check out the HPI baja5b http://www.hpiracing.com/kits/kitMain.php?partNo=10600
FG, MCD etc is more germany if im not wrong.. europe may be a better word for it
Old 12-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Mad Wax

First off I wouldn't bother with RTR, if you have a decent multi-memory radio you can use that. Or if you don't have anything or a good radio, at least go FM with transmitter/receiver failsafe (ie 3PK or similar) worth every penny...saved 4 runaways so far!

Second need servos, at least one quarter scale high torque (perhaps two) for steering. Then a high torque standard size for throttle & Brake. I use two Hitec 705 Metal gears for steering and Hitec 645 Metal gear for throttle & Brake. Probably a good minimum setup really, and not that expensive (~£25 per servo) Can't remember torque but check hitec page.

No 4WD FG as yet, probably never. There's the MCD 4WD MT and think 4WD Buggy but quite expensive, MCD £999 chassis + £250 Engine compared to FG £450 all in.

Battery pack- 5 cell Sub C NICD or NIMH, with receiver and charge leads
Switch
LED monitor checker.

Have a look here for the various FG models..

http://www.rc-car-online.de/shopen/e..._ModelsFG.html

The Monster Beetle looks nice, however compared to the Marder Race the latter is a higher specced model. All of the Monster Truck, Monster Beetle, Off-roader Beetle, Pajero, Stadium Truck, Bigfoot Marder, Toureg, Monster Beetle Pro are all basically Marder ECO chassis...so really those are quite basic models. It's shame, as I like some of them but the Eco spec puts me off. Leopard has different chassis, wider and longer plus ball drive as standard, Poly body plus pipe and full alloy diff (stock is plastic on all FG's and a bit naff)

Probably say 30-40mph stock? Stock is single speed, you can add 2 speed later on. They're fast enough anyway, and quite scary doing a fast close pass (will smash your ankles easily)

See my profile/my models for what I have (Leopard)

edit btw the Leopard RC plate is larger and stiffer than "Marder" RC plate and allows one extra servo fitting. I found the Marder plate flexes considerbly- Marder has only one post in the centre front, Leopard has three posts on the front. So when you use brake the servo doesn't push down on the plate, losing power and fatiging the RC plate and eventually it snaps.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:39 PM
HeatFire

and hmm the Buggies.. cos of the size they can handle many diffrent types of terrain...
if you ask me a leopard could be more fun cos of the better handling

i almost wish i bought an leopard.. but im happy with my Marder

yea it sucks that monster etc got the Marder chassi.. the Marder is a "budget" model.. and the monsters, etc should use something else.. but hey.. it works? right:P
Old 12-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Big Boys Toys and Hobbies

FG is the most popular. FG doesnt come RTR cause of the frequency. Its nothing to installing electronics. The Smartech has an all plastic body. FG is all aluminum body plus plastic parts. I have seen some problems people are having getting parts for the Smartech. There is no problem with FG's.

Chris

www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com
Old 12-23-2005, 12:49 AM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

FG's come in RTR or kit form.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:40 AM
SELWA

it depends where you get the kits from. If it's from Germany they come with 40Mhz Hitec. If it's from the states several shops offer them with various packages. Here in Canada we can still get them with 40Mhz as well. The nice thing is that not many have that frequency. I've had it and once I picked up a DX-3 there was no more glitching at all, not to mention crystal changing at meets.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:57 AM

Yes you are corect, they come in RTR but not from Germany. Sorry I should have been more specific. I can make them RTR if you like.

Chris

www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com
Old 12-23-2005, 10:02 AM
HeatFire

be glad they dont come RTR for you.. the RTR control (acoms hayabusa) sucks :| think happy = bad company
i would buy a Spektrum DX3 or Nomadio Sensor
would probebly make it easier with the 1:8 buggies to
Old 12-23-2005, 10:18 AM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

make the rtr with your own choice of radio. The hitec radios that come in the fg rtrs are not good, they do not show good range. We recommend the airtronics mx-3 or mx-3s if you want a separate radio. If you want to use a radio for multiple vehicles, you can go with the m11, 3pk, or spektrum. If you want ultimate stats go with the nomadio radio. the mx-3 is the best buy for the money.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:03 PM
1CE

Thanks alot guys, i already have a dx3 for my mbx5 so i would just use that for my radio. So this is what i am getting from what you have posted: FG is not bad but there is better such as the leapord. Am i correct in saying this? Thanks and i apprecuate all the help youguys have given me. also No FG models come with 4wd? Can you list some models that do please?

is this the mcd you guys where talking about:

http://www.rcnutshobbies.com/product...&product=28001

if so is this a good truck? is it tough and dosent need any imediate upgrades?

and this is the leapor everyone is talking about correct?

http://www.rcnutshobbies.com/product...9&product=5156
Old 12-23-2005, 10:59 PM
1CE

hey guys sorry to keep bobmarding you with questions. i have looked at the mb and the mb pro witch as far as i understand is the same as the monster truck with a different body. What are the pros and cons of both of these models? Which one corners better?

also i am in the USA will this creat a problem with any perticular models?

Thanks,

-1ce
Old 12-24-2005, 12:03 AM

The Monster Beetle Pro is just like the Monster Truck just with a different body. It has the aluminum sides and dual shocks on each corner. The lastest thing out is the Stadium Truck by FG. It is lower to the ground with more of a street type tire look but with the capability to go off road.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61829.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	374873  
Old 12-24-2005, 12:34 AM
Croozer

I purchased a Monster Beetle as my first 1/5 scale and it has been great, the MCD 4x4 will be my next rig.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:14 AM
Mad Wax

Monster Beetle is basically Marder with larger rims/tyres and different shell.
Monster Beetle Pro is a Monster Truck with different shell. 8 shocks.

Apparently Monster Beetle handles better than MB Pro & MT due to the extra shocks (therefore stiffer) but you can replace the shock oil to make the ride softer.

Yes that is the MCD 4WD MT and FG Leopard. Here's decent picture of Leopard..as you can see it has the larger "touring car" RC plate. I've had a Marder and now Leopard and the RC plate is far better (bigger, more fixing points)

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...=BiggerPicture
Old 12-24-2005, 07:04 AM
m3otm

Just a comment on this post by freemurray:::
FG is the most popular. FG doesnt come RTR cause of the frequency. Its nothing to installing electronics. The Smartech has an all plastic body. FG is all aluminum body plus plastic parts. I have seen some problems people are having getting parts for the Smartech. There is no problem with FG's.
I have traveller with no probs at all and no probs for parts as most of marders parts fit and as for body being plastic yes the shell is ABS and the chassis is 4mm thick anodized aluminium chassis so if you gonna slate things do it right.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Croozer

ORIGINAL: m3otm

FG doesnt come RTR cause of the frequency.
FG cars do come RTR from the factory or your dealer can put a RTR package together for you as RC Nuts Hobbies stated in a earlier post
Old 12-24-2005, 05:46 PM
1CE

thanks. so out of the FG monster beatle ( not pro) and the FG monster truck what would you suggest? also i know neather of these models have 4wd is this a problem? is there a mod available for 4wd? Thanks again

-1ce
Old 12-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Mad Wax

Personally I would go for in the following order- Leopard Race, then Marder Race, Pajero (ideally Race spec), Stadium Truck (Race also), Monster Beetle. Monster Beetle Pro & Monster Truck (MB shell is stronger than MT) No, no 4WD model...and most likely never coming out (and if it did probably silly price)
Old 12-25-2005, 01:28 AM
Croozer

ORIGINAL: 1CE

thanks. so out of the FG monster beatle ( not pro) and the FG monster truck what would you suggest? also i know neather of these models have 4wd is this a problem? is there a mod available for 4wd? Thanks again

-1ce
Well, do you like trucks or bugs?

When I got my MB it was less than a $1000 and I would do it again, now if you want 4wd there is always the MCD option, but if this is your first large scale I would suggest the more popular FG products.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:04 PM
1CE

ORIGINAL: Croozer

if this is your first large scale I would suggest the more popular FG products.
yea i think that that is what i will do...althoe i like the looks of the MCD its very expensive and from what i have read it is hard to get parts in the USA. I am somewhat dissapointed that there are not very many 4wd cars but i guess te sheer size of these 1/6 trucks/buggies makes up for it somewhat. By any chance is there a new truck or buggy that is coming out soon that i should wait for? also i would like to see one of these 1/6 scales next to an 1/8 scale so that i could make a size comparison. I would mostly be doing bashing with my giant scale so i think that a truck/monster beatle would be the choice for me rather than a buggy style. Thanks alot for everyones help i really appreciate it
Old 12-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Mad Wax

Picture of a 12" Laserdisc for comparison
heh heh
Old 12-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Croozer

ORIGINAL: 1CE

also i would like to see one of these 1/6 scales next to an 1/8 scale so that i could make a size comparison.
Hit the "Gallery" link on the bottom of my post and I have some pix of my MB and my 1/8 scale EK4 next to each other.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:53 PM
1CE

or what are your guys's feelings about the hpi baja bug?

http://hpiracing.com/index2.htm

i like the looks of it...wonder what the price will be?
i used the search botton to try and find a video of the baja buggy in action however any time i found a link the page had been expired...can some1 please give me a link that works i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Harvick

ORIGINAL: freemurray

The Monster Beetle Pro is just like the Monster Truck just with a different body. It has the aluminum sides and dual shocks on each corner. The lastest thing out is the Stadium Truck by FG. It is lower to the ground with more of a street type tire look but with the capability to go off road.
Is the stadium truck Identical to the MT or MBPro except for the body and wheels? Meaning if I bought the ST could I have a spare set of MT tires and when put on it would be the same as the MT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.