Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Why did my servo burn out???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 08:04 PM
Battoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did my servo burn out???

I have a FG MT-5 and after only 4 mnths the steering servo burnt out. The servo in question is a MULTIPLEX RHINO DIGI 4. It seemed to work fine one day and the next it was broken.
I have sent the servo back to the shop for inspection and to send back to the manufacturer.

After speaking to a seperate model shop, they inform me that multiplex are sending broken servos back saying that they are breaking through missuse even though they had clearly burnt out. My servo worked one day and after a short easy run, it was burnt out. Should i expect Multiplex to send it back saying i have missused the servo?? If so, Why do they recommend Multiplex Rhino Servo's if they are going to burn out at the first sign of a bashing. The multiplex servo's aren't the cheapest and it is a daunting prospect to have to buy a new one..
Old 12-31-2005, 08:15 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Why did my servo burn out???

I burned out because digital servos are way too sensitive and fracgile to steer two 8 inch monster tires on a 30lb vehicle. I am sure I will recieve some opposition but so be it. I fried 3 Hitec 5745mg (very similar to the servo in question) After spending $90 each 3 times I decided enough was enough! I bought two hitec 805bb's (one for the truck and one for the Leopard and problem solved. Look at the specs the 805 is faster, stronger and draws less power all for half the price of the 5745 or the digi4; NO BRAINER in my eyes! I have used the 805's for 6 months and no failures or servo issues whatsoever.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:19 PM
Kemo

May i recommend this one: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAAD4&P=7 ? I plan on pickin that up if and when i get my FG clone.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:52 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: chowderhead72

I burned out because digital servos are way too sensitive and fracgile to steer two 8 inch monster tires on a 30lb vehicle. I am sure I will recieve some opposition but so be it. I fried 3 Hitec 5745mg (very similar to the servo in question) After spending $90 each 3 times I decided enough was enough! I bought two hitec 805bb's (one for the truck and one for the Leopard and problem solved. Look at the specs the 805 is faster, stronger and draws less power all for half the price of the 5745 or the digi4; NO BRAINER in my eyes! I have used the 805's for 6 months and no failures or servo issues whatsoever.
I double that the 805bb has worked very well for me in all my vehicles too, you can get them for $40

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0%3D%26fvi%3D1
Old 01-01-2006, 03:54 AM
zafiragsi

It looks like I am gonna have to be the one to defend digital servos. I have had a Hitec 5745 in my MT5 from day one. (thats about 9 months) It has never given me one bit of trouble.Its fairly powerfull, its fairly quick, its all you need on a machine when pin point steering is not the most important thing in the world.
In my experiences digital servos are more prone to damage through bad set up than anything else. By that I mean the steering end point not being set correctly, and also tight and binding linkages. Both of theese cause the servo to work much harder than is necessary, draw more current, create more heat within the servo VOILA one burnt out servo.
Set up and used correctly there is nothing wrong with digital servos in these big buggies

Ade[>:]
Old 01-01-2006, 08:18 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

I use a 805 myself and have had only 1 problem in the past year of use. The head of the horn gear actually snapped off!! Very strange but this was last winter. Chnaged the gear and it's been fine since. I use a Multiplex Jumbo in my Harm and it works pretty good but slower.

For the price of the 805 it's great to have a back up and spare gears which is what I have. However I also know 2 other guys that had problems with 805's burning out as well. Must have been a friday production run.

For $40 you can't beat that!

Old 01-01-2006, 08:18 AM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

Did you set your End point Adjustments to 90-95%? IF you leave your end point adjustments at 100%, you will burn out the servo all the time.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Garfieldie

ORIGINAL: Battoo

I have a FG MT-5 and after only 4 mnths the steering servo burnt out. The servo in question is a MULTIPLEX RHINO DIGI 4. It seemed to work fine one day and the next it was broken.
Did you charge the battery in between this? The Rhino4 can burn out if the voltage ecceeds >6v, for this reason i use a 5.7v voltage limiter, because a recently charged battery can go as high as 7 or 8 volt.[X(]

FYI
Old 01-01-2006, 12:13 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

I have sent the servo back to the shop for inspection and to send back to the manufacturer.

After speaking to a seperate model shop, they inform me that multiplex are sending broken servos back saying that they are breaking through missuse even though they had clearly burnt out. My servo worked one day and after a short easy run, it was burnt out. Should i expect Multiplex to send it back saying i have missused the servo?? If so, Why do they recommend Multiplex Rhino Servo's if they are going to burn out at the first sign of a bashing. The multiplex servo's aren't the cheapest and it is a daunting prospect to have to buy a new one..

It toasted cause it's made by Hitec, Hitec servo's are garbage. Try JR's or Futaba's. 99% of people who crash RC Airplanes due to servo failures are using Hitec's at the time.

Use [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHHV8&P=0]this[/link] one
or this [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLN93&P=0]one[/link]

For the price they work great and have exact same warranty as Hitec/Multiplex just save you a bundle. For the price ya can purchase 3 or 4 compared to 1 Multiplex.
You also don't need steel geared servo's for steering, If your servo savers working you'll never strip a steering servo.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Battoo

Thanks to you all for your response. I think i'm going to revert to the hitec servos. On top of your info i spoke to my local hobby shop yesterday re my servo and he says that the servo will burn out if the receiver is turned on before the transmitter, due to it having 4 motors, is this true??
Old 01-02-2006, 11:31 AM
kiora

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to you all for your response. I think i'm going to revert to the hitec servos. On top of your info i spoke to my local hobby shop yesterday re my servo and he says that the servo will burn out if the receiver is turned on before the transmitter, due to it having 4 motors, is this true??
I'm guessing thats a big ol pile of horse crap

So inside, there's 4 motors, 3 bearings, metal gears and a partridge in a pear tree. no wonder its so big.

(Athough I'll stand corrected about the poultry and the tree)

See ya
Col.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Mad Wax

Always switch on transmitter, than receiver. When switching off switch receiver off first, then transmitter.