Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

bent chassis

Old 01-08-2006, 06:32 PM
J_D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bent chassis

I need a little help, my traveller decided to go off on its own and it crashed into a fence.. lol, at first i thought there was no damage, but i have now just noticed that the front of the chassis is bent, only slightly, but far enough for the body clip nipple thing, not to go thru the hole on the shell.

Should i try and bend it back? or will that weaken it? or should i just leave it, and make a new hole in the shell? (its close but just off)

I've had a feel of the front, and it still feels very strong, I don;t even know how i would bend it back, if i was ment to.

Thanks for ur help.

I've driven it around and it still handles just fine, its only a bend of a couple degrees.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:34 PM
hellya

Default RE: bent chassis

the first of many dings to come
Old 01-08-2006, 07:06 PM
J_D

hehe yea, the batteries in my radio died, and i didn;t have a fail safe, I'm so lucky i didn;t do any serious damage to it, it just missed two poles on its way to the fence.. It broke the fence too, down the bottom of the pailing

So i should just leave it alone, and drill a new hole for the shell, its the hole on the top front.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:10 PM
MLSTBasher
Banned

Aluminum fatigues with every stress put into it, but bending it back wont hurt anything if you add some sort of brace to strengthen the tweaked area.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:27 PM
frogdoctor

JD - my MT has been bent 4 times from a couple of collisions and nose first jumps - I have straightened mine each time and dont beleive I have done any damage - also check the 4mm bolt at the front of the radio tray on the servo saver - I have bent this 4 times and replaced it - when you take the bent bolt out you will see how much things are bent - I take the radio gear out and put the car on a brick with the bend on the edge and my foot in where the radio gear sits and then give it short sharp push to get it back to where it belongs....thats what I do anyway........ . I am also far to rough on this car - I am learing with it and will upgrade when I know what I am doing.....Simon.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:28 PM
J_D

Hmm I think I'll just leave it, cos i took off everything and put it on the bench, and tried to bend it back, but even with all my wight on it! it wouldn;t bend back! gah!

So i'm just gunan drill a new hole, well, all i really need to do is elongate the exsiting hole a bit.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:07 AM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

You can straighten it....it more than likely bent where they bent it anyhow...my xtm when i hit a pole bent pretty good...i stripped buggy down and steped on frame a few times til it matched my other one...it hasn't re-bent again since