Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Cable disk brakes on front of MT-5 (PICS)????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Cable disk brakes on front of MT-5 (PICS)????

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 03:04 AM
Jloc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable disk brakes on front of MT-5 (PICS)????

In the process of installing my cable brakes on the front of my truck.....I looked around but couldnt find the pics I needed. Does anyone have photos they could post of there installs??? Im looking for Monster truck/beetles only.

Thanx!
Old 01-29-2006, 03:51 AM
original.mb

Default RE: Cable disk brakes on front of MT-5 (PICS)????

jloc,

if you visit www.fgperformancerc.com they have a 'tipps, trick and instructions' button if you visit that link i'm sure they have fg cable brake installation on there? hope this helps bud.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:35 AM
quantum2plus2

I'm just in the process of fitting them to my FG monster truck too.
So far Ive fitted them to both front wheels and will be fitting the cable linkages later.

Heres a quick photo of it so far.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Jloc

Thanks for the info and pic. The install is basic and no problem for the most part, but the fitment isnt great. My cables rub pretty good on my front arms when the steering is locked side to side which isnt good( it rubs at the bowden/cable holder at the caliper). The cables also seem to short and also get caught up in the shock springs.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:28 AM
quantum2plus2

What is the FG part number of your brakes?

The brakes Ive used are 6250/07 which are for the monster truck and the monster beetle pro only.
I was told not to use the normal marder brakes as the cables would be too short and there would be fitment issues.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Jloc

ohhh.....maybe thats it. I have 6250/1. I guess I'll be calling tomorrow to check on that! Thanks for the info....
Old 01-29-2006, 11:44 AM
quantum2plus2

ORIGINAL: Jloc

ohhh.....maybe thats it. I have 6250/1. I guess I'll be calling tomorrow to check on that! Thanks for the info....
According to my information

6250/1 are marder beetle (normal brake)

6250/2 are monster truck/beetle pro (normal brake)
6250/7 are monster truck/beetle pro (tuning brake)
Old 01-31-2006, 05:18 AM
Mouton

I have the 6250/1 cable brakes on my FG MT. It works fine after slight modification.

As you can see from the pictures posted by quantum2plus2 you would need an alloy front upright (6103/6) in order to mount the calibers behind the wheel axle. That is what FG suggest you do.

With the 6250/1 and the plastic upright the cables will get stuck in the suspension and will also be heavily bent when steering. But there is a fix for that that skips the alloy upright (saving quite a few bucks here in Sweden) but at the expense of some steering travel. I have not found it to be a problem.

What you do is make longer cable holders of aluminum and bend them so the cable goes freely in front of the shocks even when steering. See the following pictures:

As you can se the cables have no sharp bends and the brakes works very well. The only thing to cater for is to make sure you can fit the tire. If you alloy cable holder is too hight you cannot fit the tire. Mine are 4 mm higher than the stock plastic cable holder. If you have no means of making alloy parts you could try the longer FG alloy cable holder 8474/1 and bend them accordingly.

I also attached an image of how I used two zip-ties to !QUOT!fix!QUOT! the cables so they will not bend near the brake rail guide.

This also works for the FG ST and MB Pro. On the ST you have more room since the tires are not as wide.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:53 AM
Jloc

Great bit of info! The problem I have that you dont is where your caliper mounts. I have aluminum spindles/hubs and the mounts for the Calipers are on the backside and not in front. So for me.....the cables are way too short.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:51 PM
hpiguy

I have mine mounted on the stock uprights too.

And they work perfect.

I'll take pics when I get home tonight.