Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

QUESTION-

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 01:26 AM
savage - LTD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUESTION-

HELLO EVERYONE-

I WAS WAS WONDERING ARE THESE LARGE GAS CARS LIKE THE HPI BAJA AND FG MONSTER BEATLE MORE DURABLE AND LESS MAINTAINCE THAN MY 1/8 SCALE NITRO SAVAGE-

I HAVE HEARD THE GAS ENGINES DONT REQUIRE AS MUCH TUNING AS A NITRO MOTER-

AS WE ALL KNOW RC CARS CAN BE PROUBLEMATIC HOBBY WHEN THINGS BREAK OR JUST DONT GO YOUR WAY-

I'm new to the hobby and enjoy my hpi savage its fun to beat the crap out of it however there is considerable wrenching involved are the larger gas cars the same way there is part of me thats says they might be more durable and less maitance however there is also a part of me that says they could be big problems as well-

I think the hpi baja looks really cool!!

any advice would be awesome-

Old 02-03-2006, 04:32 AM
Cyberfyn

Default RE: QUESTION-

The beauty of a gas engine is that like a car or motorbike you don't have to do ANY tuning at all. Just a little choke when starting and it'll run faultlessly for up-to 3/4 of an hour on cheap unleaded gas! So it's cheaper in the long run. Running in requires you to run at less than full throttle for a couple of tanks and then you can fllor it (usually without touching the factory settings) And starting is a breeze . Prime it, Choke it, pull it once or twice! No glow starters, no roto starts, no blisters

They are bashable, but remember they are 2-3 times heavier and faster than a Savage, so there is a lot of inertia involved. A big impact will result in a lot of damage. You can't do the spectacular jumps you normally would with a savage & as they are only 2 wheel drive control in the air is almost none. Still they are truly specacular to see in action and always draw a crowd of children (small and large)

They are relatively easy to wrench on (everthings bigger!)

I loved my Monster Beetle, but had to sell it to help fund my other turbine hobby. I now have a Savage 4.6 which is great, but not a patch on the FG.

I'm also interested in the HP Baja, but I'm going to wait and see what the first batch are like and what customers reactions are before splashing the cash.

Ian F.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:17 AM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

Well said Cyber.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:43 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

I agree, most guys end up selling their nitros/electrics once they get a large scale. The only hard part is which one. Just make sure your LHS offers parts or somewhere you can get parts.

Bite the bullet and get one! You will not be sorryyou did!!
Old 02-03-2006, 10:00 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

I had a 1:10 electric and stepped up to a Firehammer. I did the math on fuel and realized it cost a penny or two a minute with gas and TEN TIMES that amount for nitro. The nitro vehicles only hold 15 - 20 minutes of fuel at the most. These gassers have 40 - 60 minutes of fuel. My car sat on a shelf for the last eight weeks because I had no time during the holidays to get it reassembled (replaced the layshaft gear and bearings). My engine cranked (no retuning) just as Cyber said above - prime once, choke down, pull once or twice to hear a slight ignition, choke off, pull once or twice more and your idling perfectly. The engine also rarely shuts down while running. When I flip my car it is idling upside down waiting for me to flip it back over. Never once considered running temperature issues of the engine either.

I bypassed nitro altogether in the hobby. I hear all these stories about nitro and think "My God how can anybody put up with that much hassle?" I am glad I never dealt with it.

We do deal with suspension part breakage and gears stripping but that is about the biggest hassle.