Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Can you guys help me see the light.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Can you guys help me see the light.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 10:35 PM
Gnfanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you guys help me see the light.

Hey guys, I am new here. I have a traxxas tmaxx and while browsing I saw a massive truck made by fg. It is 1/5 scale I believe. One thing I dont know about these big trucks is the motors. how strong are they? Do they lasst longer then nitro engines if tuned right? Obviously these trucks are hevay so I would they think they arent that fast?? Am I wrong?>? anyone here came from nitro engines and never looks back?? I would appreciate any help and comments. I love the look of the these big trucks!

Thanks
Ralph
Old 02-16-2006, 10:50 PM
StefanL

Default RE: Can you guys help me see the light.

Sure, I´ll help!

The motors are strong, and with extreme torque compared to a nitro. You really can´t compare the two, the two strokers are so much bigger... The engines last much longer than nitro engines, don´t worry about it. Unless you abuse them ofcourse, but that goes for all engines.

The cars and trucks are PLENTY fast! There are more ZIP to a nitro truck, but huge grunt to the large scale´s.

And yes, I will never again buy a nitro truck. never. Two-strokers are so much easier to deal with.

Stefan
Old 02-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Gnfanatic

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. What companies are good for a nice ST?? I noticed FG is popular here. A couple of more questions if you dont mind
Do these trucks have 2 speed trannys like the nitro's??
Are these motors easy to tune and is there such a thing as buying better/bigger motors like the nitro's??

thanks
Ralph
Old 02-16-2006, 11:55 PM
hellya

Get a 26 cc FG offroad it will do 35-40 mph out of the box..... add a tunepipe 40- 45 mph
You can up grade to a 31 cc now for torque.

There is no having to playing with your needles like nitro, once you get dialed in your set. you dont have to empty the gas tank or spray down any after run oil.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:03 AM
JustxOnce
My Feedback: (7)

Oh yeah.................FUEL IS HELLA CHEAPER TOO
Old 02-17-2006, 12:05 AM
J_D

once u've got your needles set - they are usually set for years

When was the last time ur whipper snipper needed a tune up? :P
Old 02-17-2006, 05:27 AM
StefanL

Yep, I haven´t had to retune my engine since I dialed it in six months ago. And now I am waiting for a 31cc stroked engine, enough torque in that...

There are two speed transmissions to purchase for them, but it is not all that common. Pretty expensive to begin with, but the thing is that a 26cc car with a two speed is so fast it becomes a little scary. Many simply don´t want to have a car that big going that fast.

And as stated above, fuel is CHEAP!
Old 02-17-2006, 07:13 AM
J_D

having all that speed doesn't mean you have to use it - just set ur EPA to 85% or somethign to keep things "safe" :P

hehe
Old 02-17-2006, 07:47 AM
5m0k3y

I've had my MT5 for about 2 weeks now and it has seen some abuse.
I have had about 3 litres of fuel through it. When compared to the cost nitro fuel, I'm saving money already.
The stock plastic parts are of better quality than those found on nitros. They need to be 'cause they weigh about x5 as much as a nitro truck and they land very hard. (you can feel the ground vibrate)
These 26cc engines pack some grunt and I wouldn't like to stop one with my finger, like I used to with my nitro. Plenty torque!
Also, gassers don't cut out every 10 minutes or act up if they don't like the weather.
You'd be amazed how quick they are for the size and weight, you need a big field to get a good run with adequate breaking distance.

Best part, for me anyway
You know all that crap you gotta carry with you when you race/bash nitros? (Glow heater, Starter box .etc)
Say goodbye to that lot....
Chuck your toolbox in the car for emergencies, grab your truck and tranny and that's it.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:18 AM
bigger the better

I have had my Monster Truck since Dec. I sold off all my Nitro trucks and boats to do it! I did also have a Tmaxx with all the bells and whistles and now even without reverse I WILL NEVER GO BACK!!!! I can remember myself constantly worrying about how hot is it, is it too rich, too lean, cuts out, fiddle, fiddle and fiddle. That’s why it sat in the house and did nothing for most of its life. Man when people ***** about gas at $2.00 a gallon I praise the lord I don't pay $16.00 every time I need nitro fuel. All the trucks are plenty fast out of the box. Get one and you will never go back and upgrading is crazy, everything you do seems to make it better and faster - Sometimes WAY too fast. There is a reason they don't come stock with a 2 speed, you would kill someone till you get the hang of these big things. I use to chase the dog around with my Tmaxx but, unless I want a vet bill, I will not be chasing him with this one.

If you own a weed whip you know every time you use it you just start it up make it scream without fear and when your done just throw it back in the shed - Well in a way you are buying a much more expensive and a much more fun weed whip! All right that’s a bad analogy but hope you get the point.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:19 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

Lots of guys will agree once you get a gas RC the nitros will be sold of put on the shelf. $0.50 for a tank of gas and 40 minutes of runtime, no tinkering with the glow plugs or settings is just some of the perks. Just think when you take it out of your car and others see how massive the truck is!! You will enjoy the hobby more with one of them. Not to mention they are much easier to work on. No need to work no the diffs. If a pinion of spur get stripped or break you can change them in a few minutes!!!

Go for it. I have 2 large scales and a 3rd is coming!!
Old 02-17-2006, 09:33 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

My Firehammer sat up for two months over the holidays. Once I replaced a couple inexpensive broken parts it was ready to go.

When I took it out to run it was purring at a perfect idle in 3 pulls of the starter - just like my weed eater for the yard. I have not ONCE touched my weed eater in seven years. No needle tweaks...hell, I haven't even cleaned air filter on the weed eater in seven years. It still starts in 3 - 4 pulls even if it has set up under the house for 4 months during the winter.

While I take better care of my Zenoah 26cc engine it is of the same class of engine. I clean the air filter every month or so to keep dirt out but that is it.

I did the math once on fuel costs. Nitro came out to $0.10/minute of runtime. Two-cycle came out to about $0.01 - $0.02/minute. I skipped nitro altogether in this hobby because I would be money ahead on the fuel costs alone after 8 - 12 months. That was comparing paying $600 USD for a used Firehammer versus a $450 nitro truck or buggy.

Ken
Old 02-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Gnfanatic

Thanks for allll the great comments. So far I ahve learned:
-Even if these cars are twice the price, I dont ahve to but glow plugs anymore and I dotn have to pay $27 a gallon of nitro fuel
-Nitro are a PITA soemtimes, thats a fact, they are very sensitive and need rebuilds very 3-4 gallons of fuel
-Alot of you guys are from UK,AUS, this sport msut be very popular there.
NOW, one more quesiton! Whats up with the "CLONES"?
I noticed FG is made in Germany and I suppose the clones are made in China/Taiwan and they copy of ther companies designs (is this legal?). There MUST be a difference in quality but alot in price?? I rather support the originators even if it costs me mroe money. I also rather have something made in US or Gemany then China. What other good companys are there>>?

thnaks guys!

Ralph

Old 02-17-2006, 09:52 AM
J_D

clones have the same quailty in my opinion as the FG's they are pretty much 100% the same
Old 02-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Gnfanatic

THanks JD, What are some clone companies???? is there is a big diff in price?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:50 AM
HeatFire

i think JD run a smartech traveller.. the price is pretty much diffrent i think... much cheaper with the copies
Old 02-17-2006, 10:58 AM
hellya

Copies are $200-300 less but use 95% all the same hopup parts as FG
Old 02-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Gnfanatic

$200-$300 is alot of coin, If a part breaks, chances are I can use a FG part to replace it with if I am having problems findings parts from the clone??
Old 02-17-2006, 11:28 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

The biggest selling clone in the US is the Duratrax Firehammer. It is made by Smartech in China and is 99% identical. The only difference is the engine. Smartech puts CY engines on the Firehammer. Smartech branded cars appear to come with the Zenoah engine.

Other than that it is 100% identical. Tower Hobbies sells the Duratrax Firehammer for $899 with FM radio, servos and receiver pack. It is 100% RTR except fuel.

There are also tons of Duratrax dealers in the US. Your local dealer may stock the Firehammer or could order it for you.

The FG vehicles are more expensive but the hop-ups are more plentiful for them. The Firehammer and other clones can share MOST FG parts and have some unique hop-ups available.

Bottom line here is that FG has the broadest third party support. The clones have good support but not quite the same as FG.

Sometimes I wish I would have bought an FG Marder instead of the Firehammer for this reason. I would have spent $200 more but would not have to be so "creative" in finding hop-up parts.

Ken

<edit> Tower Hobbies also carries (most of the time) all of the parts to repair a Firehammer or other clone.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Gnfanatic

Thanks for the help guys. I am looking into a stadium truck,. for some unknown reason I never liked the look of a buggy. FG makes a killer looking st. Whats with videos of these cars driving in the snow????? The electronics arent water proof, are they?

thanks!
Old 02-17-2006, 01:19 PM
HeatFire

i drove my FG Marder in snow.. works great.. i did seal the radiobox with silicone and the servos got some silicone on them also=)
so now it's waterproof:P i think all the clones also have a radiobox for the reciver... so they are 80% waterproof ofcourse water can still get into the servos if you try getting it to swim
i would go with the Duratrax Firehammer since it's an product you easy can get parts for
Old 02-17-2006, 01:48 PM
radio_controlled_mad

ORIGINAL: Gnfanatic

FG makes a killer looking st. Whats with videos of these cars driving in the snow?????

http://www.saunalahti.fi/mialavil/vi...ium_Truck1.wmv
Old 02-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Ive

I run a 2 speed in my fg marder. Can only really use this on reasonably flat surfaces due to speed. Would only run a single speed on rough terrain. Would never entertain a nitro now. The engines if looked after ie Zenoahs are pretty bomb proof. Get a 2 stroke asap you will never regret it.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:39 PM
carpy100

scroll down about 15 threads to the fg video thread.
that might make your mind up
Old 02-17-2006, 04:58 PM
wayneuk

view the members videos
www.wayneandrews.co.uk
www.putfile.com/wayneuk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.