Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

FG 1/5 Scale problem with "slipping"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG 1/5 Scale problem with "slipping"

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 12:16 AM
NitroMedic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG 1/5 Scale problem with "slipping"

Hey guys,

I hope you can help me out. I have a FG gas stadium truck and it's acting "funny". When I hold the truck OFF the ground while it's running, the tires spin just fine. When I set the truck on the ground, the tires stop spinning but all the gears continue to spin. The truck just sits there with all the gears turning with good response to my throttle inputs. On the ground, it's a no-go.

Could this possibly be a gear problem or a clutch problem?

Please help!
Shayne
Old 03-10-2006, 12:26 AM
jimbo1890

Default RE: FG 1/5 Scale problem with "slipping"

Ok start by checking the grub screws on the wheel square drives make sure they are tight then work your way back checking every grub screw on the drive train.

can also be the layshaft pinion.

have fun

edit it can also be the plastic spur gear carrier rounding out on the layshaft. An alloy carrier will fix this.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:37 AM
StefanL

Unmount the wheels and check the screws. My bet though is the layshaft pinion that drives the gear on the diff, since both wheels lose power when you set it down. Otherwise both left and right wheel square grub screws are loose.

It should be an easy fix.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:44 AM
NitroMedic

All grub screws are secure. I will check the pinion shaft & clutch tomorrow. Thanks so much for the help, guys. Stay tuned.....

Shayne
Old 03-10-2006, 06:21 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

I would start it and see where it stops spinning. I agree it may be the set screws somewhere along the diff path, maybe even right at the axle blocks that hold the wheels. But since it goes nowhere then if it's not the set screws then maybe the diff carrier or pinion has a rounded out hole in it due to heat.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:58 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

You said your gears spin when the truck wheels are on the ground. Do ALL the gears including the large differential gear spin? If the diff ring gear is spinning, is it also turning the differential case at the same speed? Do you hear any shrill metal gear noise from the truck when throttling up with wheels on the ground?

If the diff ring gear screws have backed out then the ring gear will spin around the differential casing freely and the case will not move. I recently had three of the four screws disappear even though I had used blue locktite on the threads.

If the diff ring gear does not spin follow it back gear by gear. Does the layshaft gear spin? If so, does the large plastic spur gear spin? As said above the layshaft gear is held on with small grub screws. Also mentioned, the spur gear is riding on a plastic carrier. Some have had trouble with this carrier stripping out. This will allow your plastic spur gear to spin but the layshaft and layshaft gear will not spin.

Good hunting!
Ken
Old 03-10-2006, 02:46 PM
NitroMedic

Holy crap! Y'all were right! It did the same thing as Ken's car. The friggin' screws came OUT that attaches the spur gear to the housing. When looking at the housing while running the engine, it appears to be spinning. That's what threw me off in the 1st place. I got her figured out now. Thanks a MILLION for your help, guys! I'll be slammin' & jammin' in no time! [>:]

Shayne