Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

castrol a747 or castrol r2 2stroke oil

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

castrol a747 or castrol r2 2stroke oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 05:33 AM
kinggeordie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default castrol a747 or castrol r2 2stroke oil

which one out of the 2 oils is the best? i emailed castrol and there replie was that a747 has castor oil in and that it is a slower burning oil than the racing r2, but when using this oil the engine has to be stripped down and cleaned every so often as the caster leaves deposits in the cylinder and on the head the advantage of this oil is it gives better protection (bring back memories from the nitro engines), the r2 racing oil is fully synthetic has a high flashpoint leaving no deposits in the cylinder, increases throttle response and performance but has less protection than the a747, alot of the top racers use a747 but they can probably afford to buy a new engine every race could i have your thoughts please
Old 03-20-2006, 06:06 AM
radio_controlled_mad

Default RE: castrol a747 or castrol r2 2stroke oil

its no hardship taking the cylinder head off once a year to clean it out,replace piston ring ect - you should be doing that regardless of what oil you use so if castrol say a747 gives better protection then im happy sticking with it.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:53 AM
kinggeordie

yes but whats the life expectancy of a nitro engine because of caster 1 -2 years
Old 03-20-2006, 07:02 AM
radio_controlled_mad

the life of nitro engine is small regardless if you run on castor or sidewinder ect,,nitro engines use castor to run on - a747 has small amount of castor in the oil that is mixed with petrol so the amounts will be small in comparison so you cant compare the two,if you dont want to clean down the engine then use fully synth - but imo any engine should be stripped and cleaned once in a while regardless to replace gaskets,rings ect,its only a case of taken out a few bolts
Old 03-20-2006, 08:44 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

castors unique ability to flow towards a hot spot will do a lot to save your engine incase of an overheating. oilo doesnt actually burn with the gas it vaporizes otherwise the pipes would be as clean as a 4 strokes exhaust pipe. if you want a clean running engine try a camp stove fuel like Coleman or Ozark trail and mix the oil ( i use maxima 927 castor at 5 ounces per gallon)same as you would with gas after a complete race season including testing i did not have even a hint of darkening or carbon build up.
other castor oils are
Blendzall
Benol
Old 03-20-2006, 12:33 PM
kinggeordie

i dont think we can get coleman fuel stove over here i havent seen it i might look for a substitute
Old 03-20-2006, 12:39 PM
carpy100

use the 747, it seems to be a perfect blend of castor and synthetic offering protection by flowing to hot spots whilst having the overall protection of a synthetic whgich doesnt break down and is more stable overall than mineral. the perfect lubricant for 2 strokes imho
Old 03-20-2006, 01:04 PM
kinggeordie

747 it is then