Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

HELP PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 07:17 AM
jrpj32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE!!!

I have an fg mt and recently took it out bashing and landed it wrong on the rear wheels and broke the shock mount so I have an aluminum one coming now... and it seemed like that was the reason the truck wouldn't go anymore but that shouldn't have anything to do with the wheels spinning right???? I took it out today just to double check and make sure that was the only problem and it doesn't seem right because when I hit the throttle the truck moves only a little bit but the pinion and spur gear are spinning at full speed... if i give it just a tiny bit of gas it will chug along really really slow but if I hit the throttle it goes no where... I checked to see if the gears were maybe missing teeth and no they weren't, maybe a little worn down but non missing... my shock mount is broke where the shocks attach to the mount so my rear left shock is just flapping around... any thoughts on whether it could be the shock mount or maybe something more serious??? any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Old 03-20-2006, 07:22 AM
radio_controlled_mad

Default RE: HELP PLEASE!!!

the "d" in the centre of the spur gear carrier has prob started to round out so even though the gears appear to be spining at full speed the spur is prob just turning fast on the layshaft and not turning anything,most plp replace the with alloy carriers from the start
Old 03-20-2006, 07:33 AM
jrpj32

I actually have an alloy gear carrier i just have no clue how to get the spur gear off... i popped the pin off but i can't get that layshaft rod out
Old 03-20-2006, 07:54 AM
radio_controlled_mad

once you have removed the "e" clip off the spur/layshaft the full spur and carrier should just pull striaght off
Old 03-20-2006, 09:30 AM
original.mb

silly question but are the grub screws tight on your rear hex's? as this could be the reason why you have no power to the rear end getting down?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:24 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

Make sure the dogbones are intacked and see where it's spinning while it's up against a wall. Something has to be loose or stripped.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:09 AM
jrpj32

after i pulled the e clip off the layshaft i tried to yank the spur right off but it seemed to be connected with something on the motor and i couldn't get the spur gear off... i hope the shock mount fixes the problem... i just put on my jetpro pipe and it took me like an hour and a half lol... can you tell i'm a newbie???
Old 03-20-2006, 11:12 AM
original.mb

its all good look forward to seeing pics of everything installed
Old 03-20-2006, 11:14 AM
SELWA

If you have the aluminum gear carrier then once the c-clip comes off you should be able to remove the spur gear by pulling it. You won't have the shaft come out since the brakes and the smaller gear is still connected. Mine has some play on it so it comes off easily when I'm switching gears around.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:56 AM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

sounds like you stripped the gear carrier and it melted to the layshaft. It should slide off with slight pulling but if it is melted it may take some work.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:10 PM
jrpj32

SELWA i have the aluminum gear carrier but I have not installed it yet... i tried to the other day but after i took off e clip i couldn't pull the spur gear off the layshaft... i'm going to try and give it a few good tugs like rcnuts said and I hope it comes off... also, i have a bunch of pics of my truck with the paint job i did but when i attach a file and when it's finished loading the webpage automatically goes to webpage that says "page cannot be displayed"
Old 03-20-2006, 05:19 PM
bigger the better

You may have exceeded the 200kb[&o] - Thats like email quality on my camera. Try practicing in the following, thats what I did, I needed to actually upload each separately for it to work. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_72/tt.htm
Old 03-21-2006, 01:06 AM
StefanL

jrpj32, either you have a grub screw still screwed tight on you alu carrier, or the layshaft has simply stuck a bit in the hole. Grab the end of the layshaft with a pair of pliers and pull the carrier left and right, and it should come of easily. The tprque of the engine makes the layshaft jam a bit on the carrier hole after a while.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:04 AM
jrpj32

StefAnl... I have not installed my aluminum gear carrier yet... but what seems to be the problem from what everyone is saying is that my stock gear carrier is melted to the layshaft and needs a good tug... I hope I don't need to remove the jetpro pipe to install the alum gear carrier and alum shock mount because let me tell you that pipe took me a while to put on... it wasn't that the pipe was hard to install, the screws kept falling out every single time i had them lined up to the gasket... WHAT A PAIN LOL!!! I do have pics of the truck im trying to figure out how to post them... i painted to body black and put some carbon fiber stickers on the side and i also painted to rins black with high temperature paint i think the black on black looks nice
Old 03-21-2006, 06:29 AM
SELWA

The carrier melted for sure. I had mine for a good while until my friend mentioned what happened to his and sure enough mine melted a few minutes later!! BUt I had the alloy one ready to install so I wasn't down long.

The spur gear should come off easily. Once that's off and you remove the 4 rubber gaskets it shoud be easier to remove the gear carrier. You may want to place something across the shaft as leverage while you pull on the carrier. Kind if like a gear puller idea. Don't bother trying to remove the small steel gear on the layaway shaft. They use red threadlock and you need to heat it up to remove it!!

You should be able to put the new one on without having to remove the pipe. If you do have to remove it use a antenna with a magnet on the end to keep the screws from falling or magnitize the tool you're using. I have a small screwdriver with has this type of idea and it's great for getting screws/washers out as well as holding them in place while I try to screw them in.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-21-2006, 06:35 AM
jrpj32

Sounds good to me, I just got my alloy shock mount in the mail today so i'm going to get to work on everything... thanks for all the help and i'm sure i'll run into some kind of problem trying to install these parts so you will probly be hearing from me again pretty soon LOL
Old 03-21-2006, 06:41 AM
SELWA

Somtimes the right tools or variuos tools help. Since I've been in this hobby for over 20 years I collected some nice ones but still use only what is needed. I find Allen keys get stripped or broken with the large scale more often. Now I heat up the metals just in case.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:44 AM
jrpj32

what are the benefits from heating up the metal?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:58 AM
SELWA

If there is threadlock is softens it as well as makes the metal softer so you can losen the nut/bolt. I needed to do this for the layaway shaft pinion and the square wheel driver
Old 03-21-2006, 11:03 AM
jrpj32

I'm trying to get the stock gear carrier off as we speak... i popped the clip off the layshaft and i have been tugging at the gear carrier for about 10-15 min now and it will not budge... i guess it's melted on the layshaft pretty good so does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can get this stock gear carrier off?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:07 AM
SELWA

Since it's plastic use a dremel to cut it off or some pliers to break parts of it off. You can also put a small piece or worrk or plastic on the 48T steel gear to bind it so when you move the gear carrier with the pliers the diff is in a locked mode. Some oil might help too.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:38 AM
jrpj32

VICTORY IS MINE LOL!!!!!! geez ... just about a half hour later and one really good pull with a pair of pliars as you said and.... walla... now it's time to put the alloy gear carrier in and the alloy shock mount and see if she runs
Old 03-21-2006, 11:51 AM
jrpj32

well i guess i bragged too early because now it seems i pulled the layshaft out way too far and then trying to put the aluminum gear carrier on i pushed it back in way too much so i guess i'm going to take apart the whole rear end... might as well put on my aluminum diff housing [] no sweat lol
Old 03-21-2006, 12:04 PM
SELWA

You don't have to remove the rear end just yet. Just push the shaft back thru and hold it with needle nose pliers or a flat screwdriver to prevent it fron sliding again. We've been there believe me!!
Old 03-21-2006, 12:40 PM
jrpj32

hahah... every part in the rear end including the engine lol... there was a loose screw in the steel sleeve between the gear carrier and that other little gear on the layshaft and i guess it caused the sleeve to lose grip on the lay shaft and allow it to slide back and forth... I am having these crazy problems with this truck and what sucks is i'm out here in Spain and I have no clue where to find help besides rcuniverse and you guys have been great thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.