Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Hooking up...

Old 04-02-2006, 09:33 PM
DodgeRamSRT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking up...

This is my first 1/5. It's a Technokit jr. I know I know but it was cheap. I finally got time and good weather to get it going this weekend. The problem is I wasn't able to go above 1/2 throttle without spinning out. It was like driving on ice. I made some adjustments to the suspension to make it resemble my 1/8 scale (toe in the rear a little and tip them in at the top) and got some stability out out of it but still wasn't able to accerate with much throttle and would easily spin at speed when I got some. The tires are stock and don't really have any markings on them. I have a second pair that is 50 shore(?) they made the problem even worse. The surface is worn asphault with a few bumps and a few pebbles. Do I need to find a better surface, different tires, both, is there something else to try or is this the nature of the beast. Would really like to open it up a little to see what it can do. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:54 PM
MnMikeRC

Default RE: Hooking up...

First of all.......you are in Wisconsin and the pavement might still be a little cold. Second, it sounds like your tires might be a little hard and are in need of softer ones for the rear so it will get traction. The pavment that you are running on should be fairly clean of pebbles and sand. These all contribute to getting or not getting traction with your on road car.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:04 AM
jimbo1890

check out this link

http://www.rctek.com/phpBB/viewforum...085cce5b2bef48

that's where I go for setup info.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:21 AM
ammdrew

Tires are the number one contributor to traction. look to some 15 shore PMT's or A compound grp's
Old 04-03-2006, 08:11 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

When I had my HARM on-road I found that having the tires warm up and a clean area helps a lot!! I ran in a parking lot with some salt left from the snow and after awhile as the tires warmed up the traction was much better.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:09 AM
R/C Modelsport

Like Andrew said, use GRP A tires. They seem to have more grip from the get go. A clean surface is a must. Softer tires will only pick up more crap from the ground. Use a weed blower to prep the surface and then you will be dialed.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:47 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pop the tires in the microwave until hot. Works good, wife does not like it though []
Old 04-04-2006, 07:56 PM
DodgeRamSRT

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try to find a different place to run. Time to go tire shopping too I guess. Softer tires have a lower numrical shore rating right? Is there a good place on the internet to buy tires. Would slicks help or just compound the problems?