Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

building Giant Scale Car

Old 04-04-2006, 07:24 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building Giant Scale Car

I'm a noob with Giant Scale Cars but not with nitro.

I was wondering what motor i have to use. Can i use a leaf blower or weed wacker motor.

Or has anyone ever made an eletric Giant Scale Car.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:55 PM
qaz393

Default RE: building Giant Scale Car

Many trucks use 26cc zenoah engines. Its a gasoline 2 stroke engine

if u really want electric truck, look into washing machine motors
Old 04-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Really any 21cc + engine will work but MUST have a clutch. What you need to take into consideration is what size do you want to build and exactly how it will be driven. Weight is the biggest consideration for EVERYTHING. If it is too heavy, not only will you have trouble getting the speed you want, but the steering servo must become stronger, which means bigger and heavier. Tell us exactly what you intend to build and it will be a bit easier to give tips.[8D] Good luck!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:03 PM
pythonfan

the weed wacker motors are 25cc 2 stroke
Old 04-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Acs_guitars

What type of car/truck are you planning to build? Onroad, Offroad, etc.... ??? Details?
Old 04-04-2006, 11:08 PM
pythonfan

I'm looking to build an offroad truck, buggy, truggy, which ever one is ez.

I was going to use it for backyard bashing. Speed 30-40 don't care.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Acs_guitars

The easiest would be a 1/6 size 2wd truck/buggy with a chain drive train. 4wd is possible but complicates the drivetrain and can add some serious $$. What do you intend to make the chassis out of? It also makes things a bit easier to use parts from an already existing RC... less to fabricate and easier to replace. BIGONE (an RCU member) used FG parts to build his custom gasser. I built a T-maxx 1/8 gasser about 6 months ago and a 1/4 dune buggy / sand rail about 2-3 years ago. For the t-maxx I modded an existing truck for a 21cc gasoline engine. For the buggy it was all 100% custom built out of 1/4" and 3/4" steel tubing and used a 31cc chainsaw engine and a solid axel chain drive. The buggy was never as fast as I had planned, and is sitting in my garage until I get back to it with a 49cc engine and trans from a pocket bike. The t-maxx had it's challenges, but was definitely easier than the 1/4 buggy.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Soloratov

Definitally take ACS's advice. The bigger you go, the harder it gets. More to custom make, and more to custom fit. Just get the bare essentials from an existing kits, and work around that to make whatever you want. Might, "might" save some cash that way depending on your design.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:26 PM
da_killer

i am building my own off road truck buggy what ever you want to call it and i am useing angel iron for the frame and useing steel for my arms and for a power plant i am useing a 50cc to 94cc chain saw motor has anyone ever built one with that big of a motor?? and if some one could give me some help on where to find a steering knuckle for some thing that big and i can't fing rod ends in the size that i need or shocks but i am building those from scratch if any one can give me some advice on this i will be thankfull
Old 04-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Soloratov

McMaster.com has most of the mechanical components you will need. Just keep in mind that the bigger the engine, the more strain there will be on the truck, angle material, unless you beef the crap out of it, won't handle the twisting of the engine.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:55 AM
Acs_guitars

with an engine that big you can use go kart components.... IMO The biggest engine to use for RC would be a 50cc, any bigger and a gokart is the more fun application [&:]
Old 04-08-2006, 03:16 AM
brice_arnold
My Feedback: (6)

I built what was essentially a 4WD chain driven vehicle. It had a front, rear, and and intermediate diff. It also had reverse. The vehicle was 1/2 - 3/4 scale. I ended up using a Fuji 86cc engine for it's size and power. Because it was an airplane engine I had to develop a water cooled cooling system. It ran OK but was a little complicated. My next step in the project is to rip out the 86cc engine and put in a 10hp briggs and straton that I have lying around. The project can be seen at the following thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14...vehicle/tm.htm

pythonfan you can use any engine size you want the bigger the better as I always say. Also angle iron is OK but the strength to weight ratio is not very good. If you have the skills and tools I would suggest a tubular frame. A lot of the transmision part on my vehicle are gokart parts (wheels, sprockets, etc...) I ended up maching the knuckles from billet aluminum. The diffs, I found at a surplus store. They originally came from the electric carts used to gather shopping carts in retail parking lots. The best thing to do is to start keeping your eyes open and get good at scavanging. I've pulled 5hp engines from old snow blowers that I picked up at garage sales. The engine should be one of the easier thing to come by. However, as mentioned before you should make sure the engine has a clutch (if not then you can buy a clutch either RC or GoKart size for $20-$30). This may seem obvious but make sure your engine has a horizontal shaft (e.g. stay away from lawn mower engines).

It seems like I've focused mostly on engines here, but making a car from scratch is a huge undertaking and I think that you should figure out exactly what features you want with your vehicle (4wd, 2wd, solid live axel, independant suspension, etc...) Once you do, start looking around for parts to get an ideal of the scale of the project. Once you know how large the vehicle is going to be based on the scale of comercially available parts, try to estimate the weight of the vehicle and then sellect the engine size.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:05 PM
RCPULLINGTRACTOR

I may be able to help some. take a look at my tractor picks. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rcpull....net/my_photos It has 2 33cc chainsaw engines on it. I am working on plans for a new tractor it will have a 141cc 2-cycle toro snowblower engine on it. i am still looking for a engine so if someone has one let me know.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:52 PM
da_killer

ok guys thanks for the help i have changed my mind on the frame and set myself back to square 1 but i have went with aluminum for all the parts and frame but i still need to find some one that has a cnc machine that would cut the parts if i supply the aluminum and pay some cash but right now the aluminum is going to cost me like $550 bucks just for the billet
so it might be awhile before i can even get the stuff that i need but if some one can help me out i would be thankfull
Old 04-21-2006, 08:36 AM
RCPULLINGTRACTOR

why so much for the aluminum? I know it aint cheep but what do you need? Also look on ebay for aluminum the prices are not to bad you just have to search for the best deal with shipping.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:51 AM
sprints 1/4 scale

wy not look at biulding a sprinter not hard just metal 3.8 choob make it to scale of any size u need just look on the net for frame stracture or biuld sedan the same way
Old 04-28-2006, 04:20 AM
brettos01

ORIGINAL: sprints 1/4 scale

wy not look at biulding a sprinter not hard just metal 3.8 choob make it to scale of any size u need just look on the net for frame stracture or biuld sedan the same way
If you want I have an OS FS series FS-120 "20cc" 4 stroke engine that would be nice in a sprint car!

You can have it for $150.

PM me!
Old 04-28-2006, 10:09 PM
da_killer

well i guess it is the sizes i need i need the billet in some pretty big sizes like 3 inch blocks for my steering knuckles and for the thing that the a arms attach to and 6''x3''x1/4'' for the a arms and i'm not sure of the rest of the sizes that i need off of the top of my head but if yall need to know them i can post them if you guys can find the stuff i need cheaper then i said i can find it for but besides that i still need to find some one thats got a cnc machaine that would cut the parts for me but thanks guys peace